Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I've been looking at ear cropping for my puppy and have found two locations. Bridlewood Vet in Calgary and Uncas Vet in Edmonton AB.

Does anyone have any recent experience with Uncas Vet

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
Haven't heard of those 2 but I have heard to stay away from the one in Ranchlands (Calgary). You could also check with show line breeders and see who they use.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with those two, but I second not going to Ranchlands. Seen some pretty brutal hack jobs come out of there..

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've heard good things about Uncas as a vet practice. I haven't seen/heard anything specifically about ear cropping, but I know many people who are very happy with the care and attention their pets receive from the staff there.

I haven't heard anything about the Calgary vet, but if he's the one who did my Doberman (he came from Calgary), I wouldn't recommend him. Atlas' ears are scarred along the edges and if I look closely, one ear is slightly shorter than the other. Not a hack job per se, but not a great job either.

·
Super Moderator
21,739 Posts
There are very, very few vets who are good at cropping. I would contact the show breeders in the area and ask who they use to crop. You may have to travel a significant distance for a quality crop. Often, breeders either do that or even fly in a skilled cropper. If you cannot locate a quality cropper please leave your pup's ears natural. There is nothing worse than a bad crop. MOST vets are bad at cropping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts