Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am getting my first Doberman puppy in a few weeks time and I am trying to decide whether or not to get his ears cropped. I was hoping other dog owners could tell me what their puppy was like after the came home from surgery? Did they seem like they were in a lot of pain? I have found an experienced good vet.
Input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guess I'll make this as simple as possible...

CROP...A Dobie without cropped ears just looks silly, to me anyways...They were born to be cropped...It's a major part of any Dobie's Stunning Beauty...

I'll never understand the ever-ongoing discussions of cropping versus not...

Is there some discomfort?...I'm sure there is but it doesn't last long...If YOU had a minor surgery would you have a bit of discomfort?...

I would not let that sway your decision in the least little bit...

CROP!!!!!!!!...:boldblue:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just hard because he is my first puppy and I'm worried but thank you, I agree that they do look stunning with their ears cropped.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its just hard because he is my first puppy and I'm worried but thank you, I agree that they do look stunning with their ears cropped.
Question...Where are you getting the puppy from?...A breeder?...

Reason I ask is 2-fold...

1) Do they offer cropping?...This is a definitive ART and I want mine done by a respected experienced Vet...

2) I also like to have the Sutures pulled by said Vet or Breeder prior to my picking the pup up...Just in case anything problem wise arises...

·
Registered
943 Posts
I , like you, was worried about getting Anakin's ears cropped. For one I didn't want to leave him overnight (we had just had him a few weeks). And second was afraid of the pain for him.

Well when we picked him up he was very excited to see us. Made my heart glad. And he was whiny for about 24 hours and seemed better then. Not healed understand. If he bumped he yelped, but quickly moved on.

Last night though I was petting his ears and sorta wish that they were floppy again. But Hubby wanted them done.....for that "Doberman" Look :)

He/She will be fine. JUST MAKE sure you have a vet who knows what they are doing. I have notice some bad crops :(

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Born to be cropped?

Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

OP, read the referenced thread and make your own decision.

It's purely a cosmetic surgery, yes there is some discomfort and healing time, but the months of posting are more off-putting to me personally than even that.

I would rather spend that time enjoying my puppy, hiking with them, bonding with them, training, going to class, than waste any time taping and posting ears.

What you eventually decide should be based on what you know is right for you and your own puppy.

There are some stunning dogs here with their "factory original ears" and even some who are all natural, tails and ears, lots of the Euro dogs are this way.

There are even American Champions with natural ears, so not everyone insults the natural dogs or thinks they look silly or ugly.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Super Moderator
15,375 Posts
If you want a puppy with cropped ears I would suggest purchasing your puppy from a breeder who crops the ears and lets them heal before they send the pup home with you. This will ensure you have no heartache or second thoughts about your decision. Almost all reputable breeders crop their puppies prior to placement so the fact that you are purchasing an uncropped puppy in the first place is somewhat of a red flag. If you need help finding a reputable breeder please let us know and we can point you in the right direction. To answer your question, when cropping is done by a licensed veterinarian (which it always should be IMO) the puppy is under anesthesia and will not feel pain during the surgery. There will be some amount of discomfort for the first few hours after surgery but it's nothing to worry about.

please read this thread too:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/50800-crop-not.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

Thank you everyone, this has been bothering me all day. He already had an appointment with Dr.Staples in London ON but after thinking about this all day today and reading up on ear cropping. I don't think that I will have him cropped. I would much rather be doing fun things with him than taping his sore ears. Also my plan was to get a pre-cropped puppy but they were just too expensive

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thank you everyone, this has been bothering me all day. He already had an appointment with Dr.Staples in London ON but after thinking about this all day today and reading up on ear cropping. I don't think that I will have him cropped. I would much rather be doing fun things with him than taping his sore ears. Also my plan was to get a pre-cropped puppy but they were just too expensive

Bold emphasis is mine.

First, glad to hear you plan to be very active and have a lot of fun with your puppy--Dobermans have very high exercise requirements and need to be kept busy, mind and body.

Now, as to the bolded part, do you already have this puppy? Or just have a deposit down?

Because we read stories on here, nearly daily, of how folks wish they could go back and do-over their decision to buy a "cheaper" puppy.

Often, because of all the health issues that go along with untested breeding stock of poorer quality, that "cheap" puppy ends up costing thousands more in vet bills--and even more importantly--in heartache.

If you don't already have this pup, please do some more reading and reconsider what type of unethical breeder you may be supporting with your purchase money--and what kind of potential trouble$ you may be landing yourself in .

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
First off there is very little if any pain involved when they are cropped correctly. I have pictures of both my current dogs just hours after the surgery and they were both playing and romping with littermates like nothing happened.

Furthermore, if posting is done correctly there is no discomfort and you can do anything with them that you could with the un-cropped puppy, hiking, bonding, training classes included. All of my puppies enjoy sitting on my lap and having their ears re-posted which takes only minutes to do.

This is a cropped breed and I'd highly recommend buying from a reputable breeder who crops ALL of the litter before placement.

Most all of the reputable breeder's crop all the puppies and only send them home when the ears are healed and posted.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Also my plan was to get a pre-cropped puppy but they were just too expensive
There is a lot more to a well bred dog and a reputable breeder than just a price tag. I would suggest if your only financial option is to reward and line the pockets of somebody with poor breeding practices that you consider a rescue instead.

·
Vaccination 4 Stupidity?
875 Posts
I had no problem doing any fun activities with my puppy while he was cropped and posted. We hiked, played with other dogs, went swimming and did everything an uncropped puppy could.
After the first time posting, it took me no longer then 10 minutes to repost him and this was my first doberman and my first time posting ears. I also did so with no help from my breeder (as breeder is 6hrs away) and only from what I learned online.

I hope the thought that a cropped puppy may some how be deprived in the fun department doesn't deter you from cropping as it is completely untrue.
Also, Dr.Staples does GREAT crops you picked the best vet I could recommend on this side of the country.

As for cropped puppies being too expensive, this is a frightening comment. It is not the crop that is expensive I fear, but the quality puppy that is expensive. When a breeder crops an entire litter it is usually much cheaper then when someone crops just one dog.
With that being said, it would not make sense if buying the puppy uncropped and cropping yourself would cost less then having it done by a breeder.
So, it brings me to the conclusion that you have instead decided to buy a cheap puppy from a BYB and have it cropped.

While all dogs are wonderful, there is usually a very good reason they are "cheaper".
You get what you pay for... I will not repeat what is said on this forum 100x a day. Please do some research and dont make a lifetime mistake that will cause heartache for you and your dog to save a quick buck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Since I live in Canada (or any cold climate country) I prefer my Doberman's ears to be cropped because when it gets cold, the tips of non-cropped ears may get frostbite because the blood vessels are small at the tips and are unable to keep the tips warm.

But regardless of whether the ears are cropped or not ... please make sure your Doberman's ears are covered and kept warm the next few days because it is really cold!!

As for pain? I have a local anesthetic spray that I use on the ears so I know for sure my puppy was not in pain while the ears healed.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Since I live in Canada (or any cold climate country) I prefer my Doberman's ears to be cropped because when it gets cold, the tips of non-cropped ears may get frostbite because the blood vessels are small at the tips and are unable to keep the tips warm.
I've read many people on here say that cropped ears are the ones that get colder and some people opt to keep dogs natural eared if they are going to live in a cold climate. Lots of people buy snoods to keep their cropped Dobermans ears warm so the tips don't get frostbite. I never know what to believe on here lol.

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
Haven't had this problem here in Alberta.

Reactions: lemon and brw1982

·
Banned
7,653 Posts
Guess I'll make this as simple as possible...

CROP...A Dobie without cropped ears just looks silly, to me anyways...They were born to be cropped Really?...It's a major part of any Dobie's Stunning Beauty...

I'll never understand the ever-ongoing discussions of cropping versus not...

Is there some discomfort?...I'm sure there is but it doesn't last long...If YOU had a minor surgery would you have a bit of discomfort?...

I would not let that sway your decision in the least little bit...

CROP!!!!!!!!...:boldblue:
The laws are still open in many countries but the fact remains that it is NOT an "essential" part of ANYTHING.

Sure, it is beautiful from one perspective, but millions of us across the world ADORE our Dobe's ears and wouldnt trade the pop look for anything, ever.

And if you were the dog, would YOU want someone rationalizing this decision FOR YOU?

I doubt it. Thank Dog you have a voice to say so.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
First off there is very little if any pain involved when they are cropped correctly. I have pictures of both my current dogs just hours after the surgery and they were both playing and romping with littermates like nothing happened.

Furthermore, if posting is done correctly there is no discomfort and you can do anything with them that you could with the un-cropped puppy, hiking, bonding, training classes included. All of my puppies enjoy sitting on my lap and having their ears re-posted which takes only minutes to do.

This is a cropped breed and I'd highly recommend buying from a reputable breeder who crops ALL of the litter before placement.

Most all of the reputable breeder's crop all the puppies and only send them home when the ears are healed and posted.

Re: Bolded portion of sentence in the post above, just want to make sure one knows this is an opinion and not a fact, which has been debated frequently among bright people who just so happen to disagree.

I do agree, however, and it's very important to note that a reputable breeder will assume responsibility for cropping and removing sutures, before they allow the puppy to go with the owner and then, of course, they support you through the posting process, which may last many months.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Spike's ears were cropped and my hubby felt bad about it and wanted to keep them natural. But i love the cropped look and so i had his ears done. spike did really well with it. he was drowsy for that day and on his pain meds but the next day he was running jumping everything. We did alot of fun things together. Spike even went with us on Spring break to Florida and enjoyed running through the sand he couldnt get in water though because his bandages and it being salt water.

·
sandy2233
2,437 Posts
Your vet should be able to advise you with pain management for your puppy if you decide to crop. Emily was on a short antibiotic program with her Rimidyl for pain and the only time you knew her ears were cropped is when she bumped into something. Otherwise, it never bothered her. Had lots of toys and pigs ears for her to chew on. Cropping is a personal decision and whichever you choose, I hope your puppy brings lots of enjoyment.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts