Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you are in Vancouver you and your pup are in luck. I'm in southeast Portland which a pretty quick and easy trip from Vancouver via I-205 so when his ears are healed if you let me know I'll be happy to help you post him the first time so you know how to do it properly. And I always keep in touch with the people I either post for or teach to post so you'll have a more or less contact to help you along.

He's awfully cute--his memories of the terrible start to his cropping adventure will be very different from yours. Dogs really do live in the present and it doesn't take long to convince them that posting ears means lots of treats and not more pain.

Don't blame yourself for this--it's unfortunate and was unnecessary but it happens and you aren't the first to rely on a professional who didn't really do right by you and your boy.

dobebug
Thanks Servin...

It's nice to place a face with the ears! Now how about a name to go with that sweet face!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
his name is rueger! he’s such a good pup even after all he’s been through. I wasn’t looking for a dog but one day at the Walmart parking lot a guy living out of his mobile home asked me if I wanted a puppy he had one left, he sold him to me for $50. He was really skinny and covered in fleas. I didn’t know much about the breed but I couldn’t leave him there. I did/still doing a lot of research on the breed. From what I’ve read I don’t think he’s purebred bc he does have a big white spot on his chest I can post a pic.
but I’m not complaining he’s really loving and does really good with my two kids and of course super protective of them.

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
The white chest patch may or may not mean anything--it's bigger than the standard allows but you didn't set out to buy a show puppy or for that matter, a really nice pet. But it sounds as if you got one anyway.

Far back behind the Doberman (who really was bred from mutts) are dogs with white patches and stripes of white on their fronts (and toes etc) and the standard makes allowance for those spots--they must be small and breeders have been breeding for a spotless dog (a very bad pun to go with your lunch). But they do turn up. It may or may not mean the dog is purebred. He looks pretty Doberman to me (even if he is standing in the water).

So you got lucky Rueger--and you found yourself in good hands.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
6,746 Posts
His large white chest blaze is not to breed standard, but that does not necessarily mean that Rueger is not purebred. My son's pup is from a very reputable Oregon breeder. His pedigree wonderful. Yet he has a white chest blaze, although not as big as Rueger's. He will never be bred or shown and the blaze is simply a cosmetic fault. Plus, my son thought it was kind of cool! LOL.

And I'm certainly no expert, but that sure looks like a Doberman face to me.And I've seen a lot of them...

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Oops! Just saw dobebug's post. BTW, Bug's wonderful male Toad (RIP) is my boy's Granddad and my son's new boy's Great Granddad.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,036 Posts
And you (we) are lucky enough to have her in your backyard.

John L.
PDX

Edit because: Spell Check is not my friend
Good for you--you got rid of your random reference to the "Mohave" by substituting "to have" in its place. 😉 I was going to comment, but looks like you changed it before I could.

And you guys are indeed lucky to have Bug close by.

Rueger looks all dobe to me too. But like Bug said--he's standing in WATER! And he hasn't MELTED!! (Many dobes melt if they get wet.) Does he like to swim?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Good for you--you got rid of your random reference to the "Mohave" by substituting "to have" in its place. 😉 I was going to comment, but looks like you changed it before I could.

And you guys are indeed lucky to have Bug close by.

Rueger looks all dobe to me too. But like Bug said--he's standing in WATER! And he hasn't MELTED!! (Many dobes melt if they get wet.) Does he like to swim?
I was shocked he actually got in the lake lol!! He hates getting a bath. I just want to say you guys have been super helpful. I really appreciate it. I thought I was going to get judge but it was the opposite you guys really welcome me with open arms! also really supportive.
@dobebug i will reach out when his ears heal.

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Good, I'll be expecting an report on the healing process here and I'll keep an eye on this thread--we'll try to make the next attempt at posting much less traumatic for Rueger. Maybe the lake and not melting has something to do with the fact that he's red. My only real water Doberman (and he swam like a seal) was a red dog.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,036 Posts
My first boy was BLACK--and he was a very good swimmer. There were DUCKS (joy, joy, joy!) on the little pond (only about 100 feet long) outside our apartment, and he would go in after them even if they were at the far end. They would sit and watch patiently as he got closer and closer, and then calmly pick themselves up and fly over his head to the other end of the pond. Whereupon he would turn around and keep swimming after them. Back and forth and back and forth...

He got to be a very good swimmer.

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Oh yeah! That is a huge improvement--good thing puppies heal fast.

Time to read through greenkouki's instructions on how to post and what to use--there is a link earlier in this thread--make sure you have the tape and the Uni-Solve (adhesive remover. I can give you a phone number and address on a "conversation" (those used to be private messages--but it falls into the category of stuff that wasn't needed but all change must be good).

The spots that are left were where the original wound looked the very worse--could be as much as another week for the one on the outside of the ear down at the base because that's where the all important first wrap of tape goes.

dobebug

21 - 33 of 33 Posts