Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m a first time Doberman owner I have a male Doberman he’s about 4 months right now. I got his ear cropped at 12 weeks. I live in Vancouver WA and couldn’t find a vet to do ear cropping before it was too late to do it.
I had a trip planned to go to Cali so I got it done there.
3 days after his surgery his ears smelled so bad I couldn’t stand the smell, I took him to the vet and the vet told me “that’s what an ear crop smells like”
I was seeing him on/off for about two weeks until he got his stitches out. the whole time his ears did not smell good.
fast forward to now
I found a new vet to wrap his ears in WA but then I saw puss and a lil bit of blood on the tape and decided to take the tape off and saw his ears were cut from the tape.
this is what his ears look like rn he’s about to be 5 months and I don’t know if I should just leave them alone and not post them anymore
Pls help me. I feel so bad for him

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
That vet should stop practicing - that is what infection smells like!

It looks like there was a severe infection and possibly necrosis. Our resident experts will weigh in soon, so I will just state that you should keep the ears clean and dry (that goes for any hands that are touching the ears) and leave them alone for right now. Keep the poor pup comfortable and stay tuned. Your poor pup and you poor thing. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,014 Posts
There aren't enough bad words in the English language for the vet who did that.

For right now, you need to let his ears heal. It will take quite a while and I imagine he will have scars. They don't look like they are infected now, but I would take him to your normal vet, just to see if they will need additional medical treatment. There may even be something he can do, or someone he can refer you to, to help them heal better so he won't have as much scarring.

Tell him exactly what happened--I would even tell him the cropping vet's name. This is NOT your fault--this is all on the shoulders of the vet who did the cropping and who bandaged up freshly cropped ears.

It is unlikely you will be able to get them to stand--they MUST heal completely before you can even post them with tape on those areas, and with wounds on both sides of the ears, I can't even see how you could do some of the alternative methods of posting and taping without disturbing the cut areas.

Maybe one of our real experts here can tell you more.

So he'll probably have flopped ears. In the long run, it's not the end of the world. Above all, though--DON'T feel guilty for what happened. A vet is supposed to know how to crop ears and give you proper directions for their aftercare--and he is DEFINITELY supposed to know what an infection smells like.

I'm sorry this happened. Give your pup a hug and a smooch for me. He's likely through with the worst of his part of the experience, so it is already in the past for him. You probably feel worse than he does right now--do your best to put this behind you and move forward from here.

It really is just cosmetic--and you guys have a long life in front of you with lots of special time together. Have fun with your pup!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I’m a first time Doberman owner I have a male Doberman he’s about 4 months right now. I got his ear cropped at 12 weeks. I live in Vancouver WA and couldn’t find a vet to do ear cropping before it was too late to do it.
I had a trip planned to go to Cali so I got it done there.
3 days after his surgery his ears smelled so bad I couldn’t stand the smell, I took him to the vet and the vet told me “that’s what an ear crop smells like”
I was seeing him on/off for about two weeks until he got his stitches out. the whole time his ears did not smell good.
fast forward to now
I found a new vet to wrap his ears in WA but then I saw puss and a lil bit of blood on the tape and decided to take the tape off and saw his ears were cut from the tape.
this is what his ears look like rn he’s about to be 5 months and I don’t know if I should just leave them alone and not post them anymore
Pls help me. I feel so bad for him
View attachment 140097
View attachment 140096
That vet should stop practicing - that is what infection smells like!

It looks like there was a severe infection and possibly necrosis. Our resident experts will weigh in soon, so I will just state that you should keep the ears clean and dry (that goes for any hands that are touching the ears) and leave them alone for right now. Keep the poor pup comfortable and stay tuned. Your poor pup and you poor thing. Good luck.
thank you! I read somewhere that I should clean his ears with rubbing alcohol to keep them dry but I’ve been using hydrogen peroxide instead.
does that help in anyway?Or should I use something else. I really feel bad that he’s going through this.

·
Super Moderator
27,014 Posts
Don't use either of those. For one thing, they will sting like crazy--and hydrogen peroxide actually damages tissue more than it aids in healing.

Are the ears actually oozing when left alone, or are they completely scabbed over and basically dry (that is the way your picture looks)?

A vet should be the one to tell you how you should be treating the wounds at this point. He can see them in person--it's hard to see details that need to be seen to know what treatment to use merely by looking at internet pictures. And--none of us have veterinary degrees.

I can see where you might feel reluctant to enlist the aid of another vet, because of your bad experience with the first, because of cost, and because (maybe) of embarrassment. But that is really the best thing to do here.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Don’t use anything but a soft cloth using distilled water IF there is debris (dirt, dust, etc.). Alcohol with sting the heck out of any open sore or wound and peroxide can cause delay in wound healing. Your best bet is to do nothing but let them scab over and LEAVE THEM ALONE. Do not pick at the scabs, no matter how tempting. Just let the scabs fall off naturally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t use anything but a soft cloth using distilled water IF there is debris (dirt, dust, etc.). Alcohol with sting the heck out of any open sore or wound and peroxide can cause delay in wound healing. Your best bet is to do nothing but let them scab over and LEAVE THEM ALONE. Do not pick at the scabs, no matter how tempting. Just let the scabs fall off naturally.
Yes it’s a scab now. I haven’t picked on them. Thank you so much!!

·
Big Lil pup
6,734 Posts
The bad news is that you received very poor medical advice and your puppy developed an infection that was not properly cared for.

The good news, from what I can see, is that the worst of it is over and the ears are no longer badly infected. And although the wound might itch, it probably is not painful.

The best news that your little guy still has his ears. When ears fester, they can become necrotic, meaning the tissue actually starts dying. In severe cases, parts of the ear, or even the entire ear, can be lost.

Do not begin to post again until the ears are completely healed. Personally, as mel suggested, I would revisit another vet very soon and see if there is anything additional that can be done. And while the ears may not stand, if he were my pup, given his young age (under 5 months) I would return to posting once the ears are healed. You will never know until you try.

Oh... I just saw your post as of a moment ago. IMO, you should completely refrain from overly cleaning or medicating the ears until you get a specific treatment plan from your vet. I recommend that you stop using hydrogen peroxide, unless prescribed, which it might be,. And under no circumstances clean the ears with alcohol. It is painful and is detrimental to exposed healing flesh.

Finally.... And again as melbrod stated: This was not your fault. you simply received terrible advice from a professional who, should have known better. In a few weeks, this will all be behind you.

Please return regularly and keep us updated.

Best to you and your pup

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Edit to ask: Was it just the one ear that became infected?

Edit again to say: Welcome! nice to have you and your puppy here on DT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bad news is that you received very poor medical advice and your puppy developed an infection that was not properly cared for.

The good news, from what I can see, is that the worst of it is over and the ears are no longer badly infected. And although the wound might itch, it probably is not painful.

The best news that your little guy still has his ears. When ears fester, they can become necrotic, meaning the tissue actually starts dying. In severe cases, parts of the ear, or even the entire ear, can be lost.

Do not begin to post again until the ears are completely healed. Personally, as mel suggested, I would revisit another vet very soon and see if there is anything additional that can be done. And while the ears may not stand, if he were my pup, given his young age (under 5 months) I would return to posting once the ears are healed. You will never know until you try.

Oh... I just saw your post as of a moment ago. IMO, you should completely refrain from overly cleaning or medicating the ears until you get a specific treatment plan from your vet. I recommend that you stop using hydrogen peroxide, unless prescribed, which it might be,. And under no circumstances clean the ears with alcohol. It is painful and is detrimental to exposed healing flesh.

Finally.... And again as melbrod stated: This was not your fault. you simply received terrible advice from a professional who, should have known better. In a few weeks, this will all be behind you.

Please return regularly and keep us updated.

Best to you and your pup

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Edit to ask: Was it just the one ear that became infected?

Edit again to say: Welcome! nice to have you and your puppy here on DT
No! Sadly both ear became infected. But the other ear healed. I did also notice when he got his stitches off and bandages it looked like a little piece of his ear came off and I was really upset and asked for a refund and another set of antibiotics(because the vet said he needed to take more but wanted to charge me). They did give me the antibiotics but only half of the refund.

I will update you guys!!
Thank you for all the advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No! Sadly both ear became infected. But the other ear healed. I did also notice when he got his stitches off and bandages it looked like a little piece of his ear came off and I was really upset and asked for a refund and another set of antibiotics(because the vet said he needed to take more but wanted to charge me). They did give me the antibiotics but only half of the refund.

I will update you guys!!
Thank you for all the advice.
I forgot to ask, Is their anything I can do to grow the hair back on his ears? Or does it grow back on its own?

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,950 Posts
I forgot to ask, Is their anything I can do to grow the hair back on his ears? Or does it grow back on its own?
Depending on the severity of scarring, it may or may not grow back on its own. Minor to moderate scarring will likely see a lot of hair regrowth. Severely scarred areas could well remain hairless for years.

·
Big Lil pup
6,734 Posts
Hi again.

So, in my experience... The sutured area (where the stitches were removed) should see normal hair regrowth. Any hair removal due simply to tape removal, should also grow back no problem. The two areas... One on the inner ear near the top and the other on the outer ear near the base, having not been sutured, will allow the healing flesh to granulate back in. That is actually a good thing, and they will probably heal fine, but will likely have some significant scarring. These areas will probably not regrow hair, although hair from the surrounding areas could mostly cover them. My guess is that the wounds were left open to promote healing and possibly that the surrounding tissue was too unstable (decayed) to tolerate stitching. But that is simply a cosmetic issue and will not effect the overall well being of your puppy.

So basically... What Rosemary said ^^^^^^

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Hi and I'm sorry I didn't see your post until just now.

Even though your cropping vet didn't really do the kind of thing the really expert croppers would have done and he certainly did things that none of the good croppers I've dealt with over the years would have done but at this point it really does remain just a cosmetic problem.

It looks from the pictures like the infection has cleared (you were smart to get more antibiotics--he certainly needed them and at this point, as practically everyone else has said, all you can do right now is wait until healing is entirely complete--no scabs, no redness, just nice clean pink skin.

Then you can start posting the ears. Where in Washington are you? If you are close to any of the people I know who could show you how to post ears I would contact them for you and see if I could get you some help. And on the puppy forum there is a subforum on cropping. If you go there you'll find a very good pictoral tutorial on how to post ears. It was done by greenkouki, one of our members here and it's top notch. He takes you a step at a time through properly posting ears--tells you what materials to use and how to use them. And you'll find that it's the best way to work on the ears. No one will have a greater interest in making sure your puppy's ears stand without hurting the poor guy or putting him through more stuff he didn't need to go through. Also in the same place greenkouki explains how to take posts down (painlessly) and repost.

So leave his ears alone for now--since he's already completely scabbed over you don't need to worry about cleaning--clean and dry is what you want for now and for future reference--if you need to clean a wound avoid using hydrogen peroxide and alcohol. Especially the hydrogen peroxide which can damage raw tissue but alcohol stings like the devil on open wounds and there are better things to use but you aren't going to need them for your puppy at this point.

And I'll see if I can get someone to put up the actual links to the posting and unposting.

Also if you are in the Vancouver area (as opposed to Seattle or Spokane) I'm in Portland and would be happy to show you how to post ears if you feel like driving down this way.

The hair will grow back--and probably it'll even grow back without many bare scarred spots. One of my puppies came to me with his ears posted and I didn't like the way they were posted so I took the posts out and on the back of one ear an oval shaped piece of skin and hair came off--leaving a raw bare spot. I was not thrilled but it was far enough up on the ear that I could repost and tape without taping over the wound. And I said to the puppy that it wouldn't matter because he was just going to have no hair in that spot but his ears would be beautiful. No one was more shocked than I was when by the time he was a year old he had not only healed but except that the hair was slightly thinner in the oval spot the was no sign of a scar.

I absolutely would post the ears--sometimes puppies get cropped late and their ears heal slowly and I know quite a few that didn't get their first posting done until over a month from when they were cropped.

But read the instruction on how to post that greenkouki made--it's very well done and it's not rocket science. And if you have questions ask them here--there are lots of us to answer questions.

PS I'm awfully sorry you had to go through such a horrid experience--to say nothing of what your puppy had to go through. I should have a sign over my desk that says "Use your nose--the ears should never smell like anything except warm puppy and adhesive tape" That never should have happened to either of you.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
27,014 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi and I'm sorry I didn't see your post until just now.

Even though your cropping vet didn't really do the kind of thing the really expert croppers would have done and he certainly did things that none of the good croppers I've dealt with over the years would have done but at this point it really does remain just a cosmetic problem.

It looks from the pictures like the infection has cleared (you were smart to get more antibiotics--he certainly needed them and at this point, as practically everyone else has said, all you can do right now is wait until healing is entirely complete--no scabs, no redness, just nice clean pink skin.

Then you can start posting the ears. Where in Washington are you? If you are close to any of the people I know who could show you how to post ears I would contact them for you and see if I could get you some help. And on the puppy forum there is a subforum on cropping. If you go there you'll find a very good pictoral tutorial on how to post ears. It was done by greenkouki, one of our members here and it's top notch. He takes you a step at a time through properly posting ears--tells you what materials to use and how to use them. And you'll find that it's the best way to work on the ears. No one will have a greater interest in making sure your puppy's ears stand without hurting the poor guy or putting him through more stuff he didn't need to go through. Also in the same place greenkouki explains how to take posts down (painlessly) and repost.

So leave his ears alone for now--since he's already completely scabbed over you don't need to worry about cleaning--clean and dry is what you want for now and for future reference--if you need to clean a wound avoid using hydrogen peroxide and alcohol. Especially the hydrogen peroxide which can damage raw tissue but alcohol stings like the devil on open wounds and there are better things to use but you aren't going to need them for your puppy at this point.

And I'll see if I can get someone to put up the actual links to the posting and unposting.

Also if you are in the Vancouver area (as opposed to Seattle or Spokane) I'm in Portland and would be happy to show you how to post ears if you feel like driving down this way.

The hair will grow back--and probably it'll even grow back without many bare scarred spots. One of my puppies came to me with his ears posted and I didn't like the way they were posted so I took the posts out and on the back of one ear an oval shaped piece of skin and hair came off--leaving a raw bare spot. I was not thrilled but it was far enough up on the ear that I could repost and tape without taping over the wound. And I said to the puppy that it wouldn't matter because he was just going to have no hair in that spot but his ears would be beautiful. No one was more shocked than I was when by the time he was a year old he had not only healed but except that the hair was slightly thinner in the oval spot the was no sign of a scar.

I absolutely would post the ears--sometimes puppies get cropped late and their ears heal slowly and I know quite a few that didn't get their first posting done until over a month from when they were cropped.

But read the instruction on how to post that greenkouki made--it's very well done and it's not rocket science. And if you have questions ask them here--there are lots of us to answer questions.

PS I'm awfully sorry you had to go through such a horrid experience--to say nothing of what your puppy had to go through. I should have a sign over my desk that says "Use your nose--the ears should never smell like anything except warm puppy and adhesive tape" That never should have happened to either of you.

dobebug
Hi! Sorry for the late respond. I’m in Vancouver 10 min away from Portland.
yes the vet was an awful experience for both of us! I asked for a certain crop and did the opposite. I’m going to leave his ears alone until they fully heal before I do anything. I’m glad he doing better now and just being a pup.
I guess I feel a lil guilty for having his ears cropped (putting him through a lot of pain) to find out they might not stand after all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi! Sorry for the late respond. I’m in Vancouver 10 min away from Portland.
yes the vet was an awful experience for both of us! I asked for a certain crop and did the opposite. I’m going to leave his ears alone until they fully heal before I do anything. I’m glad he doing better now and just being a pup.
I guess I feel a lil guilty for having his ears cropped (putting him through a lot of pain) to find out they might not stand after all.
This is what he looked like right after his surgery. (he wanted to see him in 4 days) but I took him in the 3rd day bc I couldn’t stand the smell.

·
Big Lil pup
6,734 Posts
Thanks Servin...

It's nice to place a face with the ears! Now how about a name to go with that sweet face!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
If you are in Vancouver you and your pup are in luck. I'm in southeast Portland which a pretty quick and easy trip from Vancouver via I-205 so when his ears are healed if you let me know I'll be happy to help you post him the first time so you know how to do it properly. And I always keep in touch with the people I either post for or teach to post so you'll have a more or less contact to help you along.

He's awfully cute--his memories of the terrible start to his cropping adventure will be very different from yours. Dogs really do live in the present and it doesn't take long to convince them that posting ears means lots of treats and not more pain.

Don't blame yourself for this--it's unfortunate and was unnecessary but it happens and you aren't the first to rely on a professional who didn't really do right by you and your boy.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
6,734 Posts
@ Servin

Take Bug up on her offer. ^^^^^ Seriously... You can contact her via direct message, now called "Conversations". It is accessed by clicking on your avatar in the upper righthand corner of this page.

She tutored my son in ear posting years ago with his first Doberman. Fast forward to today... 15 years later, my 38 yo son is currently posting his 3rd Dobe pup. And with a bit of a refresher from member greenkouki's above linked visual posting lesson, his efforts are as good as anything I have seen . (Thanks Bug!)

Also dobebug is the resident expert on dealing with botched ear jobs or poor aftercare. And you (we) are lucky enough to have her in your backyard.

John L.
PDX

Edit because: Spell Check is not my friend

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you are in Vancouver you and your pup are in luck. I'm in southeast Portland which a pretty quick and easy trip from Vancouver via I-205 so when his ears are healed if you let me know I'll be happy to help you post him the first time so you know how to do it properly. And I always keep in touch with the people I either post for or teach to post so you'll have a more or less contact to help you along.

He's awfully cute--his memories of the terrible start to his cropping adventure will be very different from yours. Dogs really do live in the present and it doesn't take long to convince them that posting ears means lots of treats and not more pain.

Don't blame yourself for this--it's unfortunate and was unnecessary but it happens and you aren't the first to rely on a professional who didn't really do right by you and your boy.

dobebug
Yes! Thank you! I’ll let you know when his ears are healed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts