Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate this to be my first post but I am thinking about getting a Doberman and was wondering if I couldnt get the ears done at 8 weeks, its 10 weeks too late?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great. I found a breeder who hasnt sold all of the litter and they had one black male left and I am on my way to pick him up. My 8 month journey to get a doberman is over and now the joy begins. Im excited thank you foryour help. This forum is great. I will do my intro for the new members and puppy pics this evening. My whole family is thrilled.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Good luck with the pup and don't forget the pics!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Arthur,

If you are in So. Cal., give this guy a call.

Dr. Jezbera
Riverside Animal Hospital
6162 Magnolia ave. Riverside
(951) 683-4200

He did Mensa's ears at 9 weeks. Everyone says he's as good as it gets. Mensa's breeder drives all the way from down past San Diego (120 miles, one way) to get her Pup's ears done.

Ask about the "aftercare". I can take Mensa in whenever I want to have her ears re-posted, no charge. No appointment.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help Chaz. I sent you a Private message. I have an appointment with him but its not til the 15th of Sept. That would make my puppy almost 15 weeks. So I also made another with a guy in Irvine named Dr. Zarilli at the Irvine Pet Complex and thats this monday so im confused on what to do. Anyone want to chime in?

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Well we are not allowed to crop in this country and i love the look of a cropped dog but i don't think i could put an older dog through the pain and i love them any way their ears/tails are.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Alienex, my advice would be to call Dr. Jezbera's office and MAKE CERTAIN the vet (not just the receptionist) knows that your pup will be 15 weeks old by the time of your appt. for ear cropping. Knowing that, they may try to get you in sooner. As for the vet you have an appt. with on Monday, make absolutely sure he has considerable successful expertise cropping dobie ears (not other breeds). Perhaps Chaz can give you some info on Dr. Zarilli.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
alienex said:
Thanks for the help Chaz. I sent you a Private message. I have an appointment with him but its not til the 15th of Sept. That would make my puppy almost 15 weeks. So I also made another with a guy in Irvine named Dr. Zarilli at the Irvine Pet Complex and thats this monday so im confused on what to do. Anyone want to chime in?
Both Dr. Zarilli and Dr. Jezbera are widely used by doberman breeders throughout the state. I prefer the style of Dr. Jezbera's crops, he's the one who has cropped most of my dogs. But you really can't go wrong with either doc.

However, I DO NOT recommend utilizing Dr. Jezbera's office for the aftercare. The posting materials used there (tongue depressors) easily can cause sores in the ears, which can be a great big mess. Also, they brace the ears at the top, and that contributes to pockets forming in the ears. I started out using his techs to do the aftercare with my first litter, and lived to regret it..I learned how to post ears myself really quickly.

Dr. Zarilli's aftercare is better, but IMO is ridiculously priced..I've heard it's $40/visit. That can be really pricy pretty fast. So regardless of which vet I used to do the actual crop, I'd plan on learning how to do the aftercare myself. It's not rocket science. It's also a lot more convenient to be able to do it whenever needed right at home.

If I were you, I'd go to Dr. Zarilli merely for the fact I wouldn't want to wait until my puppy was 15 weeks old. While I prefer Dr. Jezbera's cropping style, Dr. Zarilli is certainly competent.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Sooz said:
Alienex, my advice would be to call Dr. Jezbera's office and MAKE CERTAIN the vet (not just the receptionist) knows that your pup will be 15 weeks old by the time of your appt. for ear cropping. Knowing that, they may try to get you in sooner.
It's not unusual for Dr. J. to be booked that solid..generally you call his office to make an appointment for ear cropping the day your litter is born to guarantee you'll be able to get them in at the optimum time. He's the only vet in the practice, and so has to work around seeing clients as well as doing surgery.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a call from Dr. Jezbera's office. They can fit Duke in Thursday. So now its really a choice. Dr. J or Dr. N...as for Dr. N's ear posting its 23 per visit. Anyone have any insight as to which doctor I should stick with at this point. I obviously like all of you want the best crop and aftercare for my dobe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We used Jezberra for Iris's cropping. At the time ,we were referred to 3 choices Jezberra and Butchko both in Riverside and Zarelli which was alot closer to us in South OC. Zarelli was quite a bit more expensive. Jazberra's aftercare was something like an extra $100 for as many times as you needed the posting done. Considering how many months we did the posting this was in the long run a savings in comparison to $23 a visit. We liked Jezberra enough that we also had Iris spayed there. That was definitely worth the long drive to Riverside considering all of the vets down here wanted three times what Jezberra was charging for spaying.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
alienex said:
Anyone have any insight as to which doctor I should stick with at this point. I obviously like all of you want the best crop and aftercare for my dobe.
In terms of the crop itself, I don't think one doc is necessarily "better" than the other. The style they do is slightly different, Dr. Jezbera's ears are thinner, with more curve and shape. They also have a little hook on the very tip of the ear. I prefer Dr. Jezbera's ears-so do many others. But just as many people prefer Dr. Zirelli's ears-it comes down to individual taste. Both do excellent work.

There are some differences in how the ears are stretched out immediately after cropping. Dr. Jezbera uses the old standby-the ears are glued/taped to styrofoam cups. Dr. Zarilli uses those plastic wolf racks. I don't really care for the wolf racks, but again, it's a personal preference thing.

When it comes to the actual aftercare posting ears, I think Dr. Zarilli's office does a far better job.

As I said, I've used Dr. Jezbera quite a bit in the past and would continue to use him in the future for the actual cropping. But I'd do my own aftercare regardless of which vet i used. As much as I like Dr. J's cropping, I'd *never* let anyone in his office do aftercare for me again if I was unable to do it mysef.

You can see an example of Dr. Zarilli's work at this url: www.toledobes.com Scroll down to the photo of Toledobes Phenomenal, I know Dr. Zarilli did his ears. I'll look around for a detailed photo of some Jezbera ears so you can see the difference in style.

Other than that-since you're planning on using whatever vet does the crop for aftercare, I'd probably think long and hard about using the one easiest for you to get to. :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Well..I give up!! I tried to post some photos of Jezbera ears, but something isn't working. No matter what I do, when I try to upload a very small file, it says I've exceeded my data limit. I deleted all but one of the photos I had stored, so I'm at a loss about what to do next.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here is what Mensa looked like the day after her initial cropping (Dr Jezbera):

Here is what the posts look like. Jezbera uses foam tubes for the in-ear supports, and a tongue depressor as the brace in between.

Murreydobe, was Jezbera using tongue depressors INSIDE the ears when you used his after-care? I can see where that would present problems. The foam-tube system he uses now seems to work fine, no infections or visible irritation in four months. Now they only use a tongue depressor as a brace between the ears, so the tongue depressor never touches the actual ear.

In the first two pics, the brace is pretty high up the ear, this was her very first posting. All subsequent postings have had the brace much closer to her head, like what we see in the third post pic.

Here's what she looks like now. We're still posting, I want to make sure if I screw up, it's on the side of posting them too long, instead of not long enough.

My guys rough-house and play very rough, and the posts stay put very well.

I can't say enough good things about Jezbera and the girls who do the posting.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Chaz said:
Murreydobe, was Jezbera using tongue depressors INSIDE the ears when you used his after-care? I can see where that would present problems. The foam-tube system he uses now seems to work fine, no infections or visible irritation in four months. Now they only use a tongue depressor as a brace between the ears, so the tongue depressor never touches the actual ear.

YES! The tongue depressor was used as a post and put inside the ear. It was an AWFUL system. I had an entire litter wind up with sores inside their ears because of the posts-resulting in having to delay posting them for a couple of weeks until the sores healed.

Then one puppy got terrible pockets because they were bracing at the top of the ears..his ears were almost ruined. I committed a "cardinal sin"..I just let his ears hang for about 5 weeks until they were as limp as noodles again-I figured it was a "kill 'em or cure 'em' situation. Luckily I managed to cure 'em.

I'm not wild about the idea of using anything as rigid as a tongue depressor as a brace..I think it's good for the dog to be able to use their ears and work those muscles.. But that's just a difference in theory-I rarely put any kind of brace on ears when I post them. If I do use a brace, it's just made of the same Zonas tape I use for the posts.

But it sounds like Dr. J. has had a major change in how his office does ear posting, and I'm glad to see that..there was such a distinct difference between the quaity of his crops and the quality of his aftercare. It's a fairly recent change as well..Dr. J. was my regular vet until about about a year ago and I know they were still doing that awful way of posting at that time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts