Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cheyenne
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need help with my dobie's ears. I had her ears cropped at 10 weeks and they wrapped and posted them and they became badly infected. They left all wrapping off for two weeks until they healed and then started taping them. We taped for a few more weeks and the ears did not want to stand well. I asked that the vet to repost the ears which he did and now they are slightly infected again. Also, from putting tape on and off it seems to irritate her little ears. Please help me understand the process. Will the tape make her ears stand or do they have to be posted and for how long. When does the cartlidge harden.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hello, I need help with my dobie's ears. I had her ears cropped at 10 weeks and they wrapped and posted them and they became badly infected. They left all wrapping off for two weeks until they healed and then started taping them. We taped for a few more weeks and the ears did not want to stand well. I asked that the vet to repost the ears which he did and now they are slightly infected again. Also, from putting tape on and off it seems to irritate her little ears. Please help me understand the process. Will the tape make her ears stand or do they have to be posted and for how long. When does the cartlidge harden.
Ears have to be posted to stand. You post ears *until* they stand, and that can vary by dog, but it's pretty unlikely many dogs ears will stand by three months of age! Keep posting! Some dogs have to be posted until a year of age...it all depends on how vigilant the owner is and the quality of the ear cartilege.

Your girl could be allergic to regular medical tape. Look around for a brand of hypoallergenic tape.

If you powder the inside and outside of the ears prior to posting, it prevents a lot of hair loss and irritation. BFI powder is good for this, so is Gold Bond powder. Even baby powder will do if that's all you've got.

You can also buy medical stuff called Unisolve that dissolves the adhesive in tape, and makes it easier on the dog to remove the posts. You can buy that online, or a pharmacist should be able to order it for you.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
GooGone will also remove tape but you have to wash/clean the ears well and allow them to dry properly before reposting. Ears usually do not stand on their own after only a few postings, you have to continue for several months. There are some very good posting threads on here if you go to your search bar and type Ear Posting. (i dont know how to link it for you, maybe someone else will)

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I know of some puppies who reacted to the tape itself, and the owner had to switch to elastikon wrap. (Like an ace bandage but sticky on one side. You can buy some from your vet to try, then order on line for the long term if it works.) It is expensive, very sticky, but it worked for these people.

* If your vet is doing all the wrapping, ask for a change to elastikon of you think the pup is reacting to the tape itself....you will see irritation of the skin under the taped areas, more than normal.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I clean the ears thoroughly, and then when dry powder thoroughly. This way the tape sticks to itself and not so much to the ears. Very minimal hair loss and no irritation. I use baby powder, it works just fine.

Reactions: Cheyennes

·
Cheyenne
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS so much to everyone who has replied. My vet is making me feel like all of this is because I am not taking care of the ears properly but I am doing everything I know to do I even wipe her mouth with a paper towel every time she drinks so I don't risk the ears getting wet. Also, the vet keeps insisting that I should only have to put tape up one side of the ear to make it stand that you should not continue to repost that it us up to the dog to make that happen. He seems to be a good vet but keeps telling me just to be patient.

·
Cheyenne
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read the article on the ear cropping instructions and they are great. However, the two times her ears were posted and they used a tampon it became irritated deep in the ear and would start to bleed and that is where infection begins. Any idea on how to keep that from happening.:rolleyesww:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I would find another vet :rolleyesww: Ears need to be posted until they stand. The others are right...this will take months. My dog is 11 months and one ear is STILL being posted. There are different methods for posting. Your best bet would to find a vet more experienced with crop care or even a good doberman breeder. There are several in the Atlanta area. I used to live near you but we recently moved down to Savannah otherwise I would be happy to help.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,428 Posts
I think a lot of people use backer rod as a post (foam product, extruded in a long coil, texture rather like packing peanuts, used during caulking shower stalls--you can get it from the hardware store ). It is flexible and very light and doesn't really have hard edges, so I think it rubs less that tampons do. You cover the rod with a couple of strips of duct tape to keep it from curving, and then you backwrap it with your medical tape so that it is sticky. When you put it into the ear, it helps to rotate it gently to make it go in as far as you can.

Perhaps the rod was not inserted in until it was snug, or was allowed to ride up before it was taped in--it would then ride up and down constantly which might irritate the ear. You need to stretch the ear upward slightly as you tape it--that will help the post stay snuggly in place. You could also pad the tip of the rod with cotton to cushion it, though you need to be careful not to push all of the cotton down into the ear or it could be hard to get out. Kinda press it onto the post's tape so it will come out at the same time you remove the post. It is possible, too, that the infection was not healed completely before they tried to post the ears again and the ears were getting re-irritated in a place that was already raw. Or, as others have said, your pup has a sensitivity to the tape that is being used.

In general, ears are posted at least until the puppy is finished teething--at about 5-6 months, though some need to post longer, and a lucky few can quit earlier than that. The ears will not stand properly without posting, so (here your vet is correct) be patient :) and persistent :)

Shame on that vet if he makes you feel that your pup's ear trouble are due to your care. Sounds like he's playing the blame game. You both should be in this together in caring for your pup; there is no reason to point fingers--you just want puppy's ears to heal and stand nicely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Powder and adhesive remover (Uni -Solve, I'm a nurse and we use this on our patients) has made Jaeger's ears less irritated with no hair loss. This helped since we too had to stop posting since his ears got irritated with open sores. One week not taping freaked me out because of all the things I read and heard but he is doing well and his ears are standing on their own. We went through this off and on. He is a little over 6 months. I am going to tape for another two weeks just to make sure. But importanty keeping posting, clean with each posting (i used diluted witchhazel), use the powder and adhesive remover. Helped me, I hope this was helpful. :)

·
Cheyenne
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone have a name of the breeder in Atlanta that I can reach out to for posting. I will definitely consider changing vets.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just read the article on the ear cropping instructions and they are great. However, the two times her ears were posted and they used a tampon it became irritated deep in the ear and would start to bleed and that is where infection begins. Any idea on how to keep that from happening.:rolleyesww:
I personally use 5/8" backer rod,
but I don't use duct tape on them before applying the medical tape.
That allows the rod to stay a bit softer, and not as stiff.
(which could help in your situation)
When I'm letting his ears air out for 3-4 hours between postings,
I make sure and put in a few drops of Otomax.
I've been doing it that way since January, and never had any issues whatsoever with redness, inflammation, sores, or infection. :nicejob:

Maybe that might work for you as well, but I'd make sure everything is healed before starting again, and it's always good to check with a Vet.
Of course....you will have to with Otomax, because you need a prescription.

What is Otomax?
Otomax is an ointment used to treat ear infections. It is a combination steroid, antibacterial, and antifungal ear medication labeled for use in dogs.

·
Cheyenne
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you keep the ear posts dry? I have posted the ears several times now because the tape seems to be absorbing the humidity. Has anyone heard of that and any suggestions. For example, when I am at work, the puppy stays outside in a x-lg kennel cage in the garage. I leave the garage door open so she sees sunlight and has fresh air. But when I get home the tape feels clamy/cold and the tape feels slightly moist and the ears have an odor to them. She does not have a water bowl either so I know they are not getting wet so it has to be the humidity absorbing into the tape. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That definitely is a concern.
Wet posts left in can sure cause an ear infection alright.
I've never had to worry about that part though as I live just South of Heaven.
But it's a dry heat...haha.

All kidding aside, that's a very good point to make.
I'd wait for someone closer to your area to chime in, as they should know what works best in humid areas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use 1/2" backer rod wrapped in elastitape with the sticky side out. Insert to bottom of ear pull ear up and use 1/4" med tape at bottom and at tip. Then wrap 3/4" eltitape on base of ear and wrap the whole ear leaving 1/4" of the base elastitape showing with 1" coaches tape. I also use elastitape to use as a bridge to bring the ears closer together. Using the elastitape at the base of the ear prevents chaffing and sores. All of these tapes are not super sticky and I have never had a hard time getting them off or pulling her hair out. Josey is so use to it now that she usually falls asleep during the process. She has been posted now for 6 weeks and also has been given vitamin C daily and her ears stand fine. I clean her ears with peroxide and let them completely dry between postings. At this point I keep posting just for insurance. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I'd crate her in your kitchen area, not the garage. Too hot and humid in GA for a Doberman. She will get overheated fast! (I lived in Atlanta for 3 yrs.) She also will need some water if you work an 8 hr day.

Many people do an open crate to an xpen so the pup can move around but not get into trouble. They can go potty if they get desperate. If in the house is out: other option- get a window air conditioner for the garage. Then do the crate/xpen there.

·
Cheyenne
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Everyone, Thanks again for all your help. Cheyenne's ears are doing much better. I have continued to post them myself with the help of the ear posting videos available on the site and other sites. Also, she has been spending more time outside and enjoying her new found freedom from the crate during the day. The humidity has still been an issue but I retape every other day and sometimes every day depending on the rain/humidity. Another big help is that I changed to the J&J Jonas Porus paper tape so it does not pull her skin and new hair growth off. Thanks again.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Do you leave her outside all day while you're at work?

Hello Everyone, Thanks again for all your help. Cheyenne's ears are doing much better. I have continued to post them myself with the help of the ear posting videos available on the site and other sites. Also, she has been spending more time outside and enjoying her new found freedom from the crate during the day. The humidity has still been an issue but I retape every other day and sometimes every day depending on the rain/humidity. Another big help is that I changed to the J&J Jonas Porus paper tape so it does not pull her skin and new hair growth off. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts