Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone!
does anyone know of a good ear cropper in the Toronto region. I jus got my pup last week, and hes now 6 weeks old!, i would like to get his ears done next week ... im kinda iffy about cropping his tail, i heard that they use it for balance and would be alot more agile with his tail. what does everyone think? taill.... or no tail ? .. i know its pretty much a regular procedure but i feel bad doing that to the little guy

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Wow -- your boy should still be with his Mother and littermates. Tails are generally docked at 3 days of age. Now it is a much more major and painful proceedure. I wouldn't put him through it. Ears are generally cropped btw 7-10 or 12 weeks.

Good luck with your boy.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
In my opinion, its too old to do his tail. Although I doubt you'd see a difference in his performance in terms of agillity and balance between docked and natural, I agree with avianantics that docking is a bigger deal after just a few days.

I'd leave him all natural, but then thats just me :) Congrats on your new puppy!

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
For future reference, 5 weeks old is way too young to remove a pup from the litter whether they're weaned or not.

I would not amputate his tail now. That's what it is at this point - a limb amputation. Tails are generally docked at just a few days old because the nerves haven't fully developed in the tail and the joints are softer so it isn't as painful for the pup nor are developed vertebrates being severed.

I'd worry about his immune system right now and I'd read up on how to properly socialize a puppy. He's at a disadvantage for proper socialization with dogs having been removed from his litter too young. You could experience more of a challenge with him in trying to instill bite inhibition and general socialization/communication issues.

Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You should not even have him right now. That's way too young. Earliest he should've left was 8 weeks. That's shocking to me. I'd leave his tail it's suppose to be done when their 3 days and it honestly isn't worth it now. You'd be hurting him more then helping him at this point and like stated before a cropped and undocked Doberman looks very different. Id just leave him natural. Please please make sure you are protecting him from getting anything he's so young and never should've left that early. Also you need to read all you can to figure out how to handle and train him since he isn't getting any socialization or bite inhibition since he left too soon.

I wish you luck. You have a lot of work ahead of you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had my first girl at 6 weeks from a horrid byb. She turned OK but now I am educated I curse the people who let her go at that age.

There is a VERY respected breeder PRAISED in these forums in Australia that docks her dogs under anesthetic at 8 weeks?.. not that I condone it but if its ok for some....

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had my first girl at 6 weeks from a horrid byb. She turned OK but now I am educated I curse the people who let her go at that age.

There is a VERY respected breeder PRAISED in these forums in Australia that docks her dogs under anesthetic at 8 weeks?.. not that I condone it but if its ok for some....

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
what kind of breeder lets their pups go to new homes at such a young age?

poor little puppies.

kingston3, good luck with your pup.

who is your pups breeder and why did they let you take your pup home so early?

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts

I don't think it is okay for some. Personally, I don't think anyone should do it know matter how respected and praised they are. But that's a difference of personal ethics and not a rule, obviously.

There are plenty of things some respected and praised breeders do, but it doesn't make it 'right' just because they're the ones doing it. There are highly reputed breeders in this country that still don't cardio screen. But their lack of cardio screening doesn't in any way validate the BYBs and commercial breeders lack of cardio screening.

But that's a different discussion than the one at hand.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I've docked rescue puppies at the same time I had them cropped (around 8 weeks). If it's done under anesthesia (and it is) and appropriate pain meds are sent home with the dog, I don't think it's a terrible thing. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do it again in the right situation.

Actually I know of six month old puppies that had their tails re-docked. That isn't uncommon when the tail winds up much too long. Again-general anesthesia and pain meds.

·
Registered
826 Posts
thanks Murreydobe I didnt think it was a huge sin either, if your going to go against the tail why not go against the ears also??

·
Registered
939 Posts
I hope the OP decides to leave his pup natural.
Agree entirely, Darkevs. OP, with the tail undocked, your pup will just look silly with cropped ears, and unless you are a very experienced Doberman person (like Murrey) I wouldn't venture into taking care of two surgery sites at the same time. This is my first dobe, and I just had ONE (her crop) and it was a bear to deal with. Save yourself the money and invest it in good obedience classes instead, It'll serve you much better there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey all, thanks for the feed back. You guys are great! ... yeah im a new dobbey owner, so i was unaware that kingston was to young to take him away from his litter, now i feel bad about that ... i didnt get my pup from a professional "breeder".. just some regular people that had two dobes with their 2nd litter, i guess they wanted to get him to a good home as they didnt have the resouces to properly take care of them.. im trying my best!!!, i took a couple weeks off work, just so i could get him settled in... he loves his crate and i have him house trained as well as sitting on command in less than a week!.. and when the weather warms up, he will be around other dogs everyday when he goes for walks ... i have alot of friends that also have dobes as well as other types of dogs, as well as my girlfriend got a pup last week also.. so i been trying to socialize him with as many dogs as i can (that have their shots obviously) .. hes bitting everything and loves to explore ...

BACK to his ears n tail... i agree with everyone, ill probably leave his tail, but i dont mind him standing out, i really want to get his ears done.. so he might just be that odd ball, i still love him though..

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Why don't you keep him natural? They look so good with natural ears and tail... I wish I could save my dogs tails. My both Dobermans have natural ears.

Reactions: GingerGunlock
1 - 20 of 28 Posts