Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question for y’all! I am a new Doberman owner. We have our 11 week old girl who got cropped two weeks ago at 9 weeks old. We our getting her stitches out tomorrow and the vet told us to wait another week before we start posting. Her ears have been down, untapped since she got cropped. Is three weeks a general amount of time before we start posting? I know not to rush the healing process and that her hears should be fully healed before we post. Any advice? Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,045 Posts
Hi, Welcome to DT!

Yes , you MUST leave her ears unposted until they are completely healed. And three weeks is fairly typical. Usually their ears need to heal about another week after their stitches are removed. You may have seen puppies with their freshly cropped ears glued up on cups, but that doesn't really speed the posting process that much. Letting the ears dangle until they are healed is fine too.

But go ahead and start a new thread with your question--this one is really just set up to post our tutorial. If you have specific questions, you'll get more responses if you start a new thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't: Put an Elizabethan collar (cone of shame) on your puppy after the ears are cropped. The cone will rub on the edges of the ears and irritate them, as well as lengthen healing time.

No cone, than what would I do about the constant, non-stop scratching?

Puppy just had his ears done, we're on the 3rd day now. Yesterday took the wrapping off and decided to keep it off. I thought it would help better with the healing process and less prone to infection. This is all a first time for me. New mommy to a doberman and ear cropping. Just want to do it right and dont want the lil guy to be in pain or too much discomfort. He hates the cone :(
I got an inflatable collar for mine. The vet told me about the traditional cone not being good. But the inflatable one is working great

21 - 23 of 23 Posts