Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dobe recently got her ears cropped two days ago and there is a smell coming from her ears. Its not oozing and they don't STINK - but there is a definite smell to them. I have been giving her antibiotics 2x a day. Is it normal or should I be worried?

Please help - this is all really new to me and all I want is for his ears to heal as good as they can and cause him the smallest amount of pain possible.

Any help or advise you can provide would be HUGELY appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,446 Posts
A detail which would help decide what is going on--how are her ears bound up? Are the cut edges covered with tape or are they open to the air or covered with a stocking cap? Are the ears attached to a cup on top of the head, folded and glued over the top of the head, allowed to hang down loose--or something else?

Do you have access to her breeder for her advise, or to the vet who did the cropping and bandaging?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Boy do I know the worry you must be going through right now. Just had my pups ears cropped March 6, and I worried, fussed, and lost sleep every night over it. It's a really tough period for both the owner and the poor lil guy. Especially when this is the owners first experience with cropping, and we have no experience to draw upon. Thank goodness though that there are so many experienced people on this forum who are more then willing to help us noobs out lol! I can offer a shoulder to lean on, or an ear to listen but I'm as new to it as you are. I can tell you that melbrod (poster above) has been a great help to me and will certainly give you solid and sound advice :)
I am wondering as well how the ears have been set post crop? My boy had his ears up taped to a cup with the edges left open so they could breathe. I was told by my vet that the biggest worry would be a foul smell coming from them, but you say it's not a necessarily "bad smell" so I wonder if it could be any ointment you are using, or perhaps dried blood? You were probably stuck over the weekend unable to call your vet when you 1st noticed this I'm guessing? That always seems to happen.. everything is fine until after hours! Such a bummer, and I sooo feel for you! I would definitely give a call to your vet and keep us posted on this.. If your vet is not available right now, I'm sure you will find some great advice in what to do in the mean time right here from the experienced members.. Best of luck to you and pup, I'm hoping you get some answers that will ease your worries soon :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Her ears are taped over her head and are exposed to the air. I had the done by Dr. La Bounty in studio city, CA. My vet has been out of town and won't be back until tomorrow and I have a follow up appointment Friday.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So were they actually taped up to a styrofoam cup, or kind of taped up to each other over the pups head in an arc? I'm sorry I'm trying to get a good visual here lol, and my imagination isn't the best these days :) hehe.. So is there still a smell coming from them? I've been looking all over the net myself on the cropping procedure and it seems there are quite a few ways of doing it correctly.. As I recall, everyone I've seen left the edge of the ear open to air to be able to breathe.. That was one thing that seemed to be in common with almost all of the methods I saw. Is he doing any better today? Has the "smell" you were describing gone away? I know you mentioned you were in LA area.. Are you far from Irvine? I've heard many great things about a Dr. Zarelli there. I took my Diavlo to Dr. Jezabera in Riverside myself, because he was just a bit closer to my home and had wonderful reviews. Both of them seem to be really well known for this procedure, so if your vet doesn't return soon, maybe you can give one of them a call? I hope your pup is doing better already though, please let us know how things are going for you :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,446 Posts
I have seen Dr. La Bounty's name as a recommended cropping vet, though I don't live in CA and have not dealt with him.
Hopefully your vet can ease your worries tomorrow and give you an idea when you should be worried and when not.

·
Registered
939 Posts
As a medic, I can tell you that blood itself smells gross.. its not a STINK, as you say, but it has an 'off' smell that makes most people gag if there's enough of it around. Could that be it?

Just offering ideas here. Hope you get good news tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts