Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup had ears cropped Dec 3rd. Vet posted but post came out about 3 days later. Vet told me to expect this and to just massage with Neosporen and work and stretch the incisions but not to re-post... and I listened. After stitches came out (10 days) Vet re-posted and wrapped -- but during the healing process he would sleep on one side and that ear laid flat up against his head, kind of like a human ear -- inside exposed and almost curled up around the top of his head. Anyway, when the vet re-posted she said not to worry that it would straighten out. Took first post down after five days and let them rest for about 12 hours....re-posted and left those in for another five days. When that post came out (right after Christmas) the ears looked great -- standing tall (they are bell cuts) and really looking great -- for about three days and then the one (sleep ear) rolled again. Do I keep posting? They come out of post looking good and standing straight...then after a few nights he gets up and there's the rolled over ear again.....standing up but looking like Spock!

Help or is this something that will straighten it's self out?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
You're supposed to post continuously until the puppy is through teething, and only leave them down between postings for about 4 hours (that's the time period I've seen most often recommended, at least). There are a lot of threads on posting here.

Here are a couple of threads that are stickied regarding ear posting:

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-c...ll-help-new-owners-ears-please-post-here.html (in case you need help posting)
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html A tutorial on one member's method of posting.

There are tons more.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
A picture of the ear w/curl would help us to see exactly what you are talking about. I would tape the ears, making sure the tips are secured, like you have been, but dont leave them down but about 30 mins to an hour before reposting. Do this for a month to six weeks before trying them out again. Most of those shorter crops w/a lot of bell dont take as long to stand. A picture will help show exactly what t kind of crop your pup has.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
You are not done posting! Change the posts every 4-5 days, clean the ears, let them dry, and then back up in posts. So maybe a total of 1/2 hour out of posts. If it is a very short crop you will probably be done pretty quick. But do not leave them down that long at this point. All that time posted is just wasted. And make sure that when you put the post in you are stretching that ear up on the post before taping. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts