Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time dobie owner! So happy to have found this forum. Our doberman is 18 weeks this week and still having trouble with the ears. Lately the postings stay on for 4 days and then the ear wax seems to make the tampon pop out the bottom of the ear. The outside of the ear with the fur seems to be pretty raw also, when we take the tampons off there seem to be mucus-like puss on the outside of the ear, is this normal?? Any suggestions to keep them to stay on longer?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Can you post a photo of how you are posting and the ears directly after you take the posts out? Are you cleaning then powdering the ears? and back-taping the posts? If there is pus it could be the outer edges of the ears are not fully healed or you have an infection or reaction to the tape.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think if they are pussing you need to go to the vet get them checked and I don't think you are supposed to post if they are pussing. I use backer rods not tampons and I change them every 4-5 days. I also put baby powder on the backs of the ears. What tape are you using ? And I agree a pic would be helpful.

·
Big Lil pup
6,327 Posts
You can also try the half posts. There is a thread on how to do it on DT.
Ear infections are not uncommon when posting. See your vet, get a prescription cleaner and an ear specific antibiotic drop. (KetFlush and Otomax) I absolutely agree with millerdobes.... Half posts leaving the base free to breathe.

Although others may disagree, I would bridge the posts if they are not anchored in the base of the ear.

Again... Vet visit is a really good idea. They may prescribe an oral antibiotic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts