Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with Pender vet hospital in Fairfax, VA? Sonya had her ears cropped there on three days ago and I think they did a bad job. She's 10 weeks old and I wanted to get her ears done myself because I had a few people tell me that the vet there did great crops, and because she came from 7 hours away and I wanted to be close to the vet who did it. I felt confidant that he would do a good job but right now I'm worried they're really messed up. I dropped her off on Tuesday and picked her up the next day. Her ears were pretty bloody and crusty and I was told to leave them alone for 7 days. Not to even clean them. They're so dirty right now, it can't be good. Plus, there is a piece of ear down by the base that looks like it should have been snipped off but is hanging out away from her ear. I was thinking it was a big scab and would come off but it's actually ear. Her ears look so chopped up. I just called the vet and am taking her back up there tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What method did he use to crop? It looks like he didn't use a laser to cauterize the ears :( there is quite a bit of swelling, and bleeding. If this pic was taken 72 hours after the crop, I'm very concerned.

My opinion, don't go back to that vet. Find another one ASAP, and book an appointment.

Hope your pup feels better soon :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
It does look like they missed a piece to me aswell, Our crops our done by Co2 Laser and look a lot less severe as that but im sure someone with regular crop experiences could tell you better :(

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
SNIP ----

My opinion, don't go back to that vet. Find another one ASAP, and book an appointment.

SNIP---

I agree, our method at work is not with a laser, it is a hand cut old school style, however we never once have sent a puppy home with ears that raw and crusty, and especially not with a tag/ unclean or uneven cut.
Deffinately find a new vet asap, and I hope the ears stay healthy and turn out looking good!

Reactions: Tanner's

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You should have asked before hand. I've seen a few Pender crops and didn't find anything redeeming about the shape/style/length. When we first got Otto, we took him there for posting help and they did a bad job at that too.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'd be finding a new vet for the aftercare and I'd be taking her in (to the new vet) to get those ears checked out. Its a shame you didn't go to a breeder to handle them and considering you've been here a little while I"m surprised you didn't ask about the vet beforehand. Oh well, hindsight.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Find another Vet. even if you have to drive a distance. First thing is to take care of that poor pup. Then I would get an attorney sue him for all the after care the other vet wil charge you. Then stop that Vet from touching another pets ears! Like making signs with photos of your dogs ears on them and getting all my friends together and protest in front of his place every day.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Man, that's nasty!!!!

Reactions: Okie-dobie

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
they always swell and look pretty grim along the cut edge a few days after cropping.

let us know how it goes.

sorry your pups breeder did not insist on having their own cropping vet handle the crop and then you pick up the pup once the ears are healed and posted.

Hugz to Sonya.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I would personally be asking DT for the nearest, reputable cropping vet in your area and getting an appointment right away.

Reactions: Q734

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted to ask now, because like I said I had great reviews for this vet. I know of someone who went there and loved it and also there were great reviews for him from this forum.

Re:Dr Johnson at Pender Veterinary Centre (Veterinarians in Fairfax, VA - Animal Care | Pender Veterinary) does ear cropping for dobes. He is also the best priced and most experienced I found in NoVA. The Centre is in Fairfax. I live in Dale City. The drive was more than I was hoping, but the vets that still crop are hard to find. You can also go the Occuquan Animal hospital. A friend used them for his pit bulls. I just didn't find the same level of comfort from that clinic as I did from Dr Johnson. I can post some pics if you like. I am on the second week of my posting now. The crop looks great in my opinion.

This vet has been doing crops for 40 years and seemed very knowledgeable. I spoke to him several times beforehand. We had a good long meeting when I dropped her off. We went over pictures and he seemed like he was a total perfectionist. The place was very clean, the staff were friendly. Nothing gave me a bad feeling about his ability to do a good job. I am so shocked at how it came out. That being said, even though her ears look awful, she seems to be doing great. She doesn't seem to be in pain and her ears don't smell bad. They do itch like crazy though. She came home with pain meds and I've been using neosporin on her. I'll keep ya'll posted on how its going.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I wanted to ask now, because like I said I had great reviews for this vet. I know of someone who went there and loved it and also there were great reviews for him from this forum.

Re:Dr Johnson at Pender Veterinary Centre (Veterinarians in Fairfax, VA - Animal Care | Pender Veterinary) does ear cropping for dobes. He is also the best priced and most experienced I found in NoVA. The Centre is in Fairfax. I live in Dale City. The drive was more than I was hoping, but the vets that still crop are hard to find. You can also go the Occuquan Animal hospital. A friend used them for his pit bulls. I just didn't find the same level of comfort from that clinic as I did from Dr Johnson. I can post some pics if you like. I am on the second week of my posting now. The crop looks great in my opinion.

This vet has been doing crops for 40 years and seemed very knowledgeable. I spoke to him several times beforehand. We had a good long meeting when I dropped her off. We went over pictures and he seemed like he was a total perfectionist. The place was very clean, the staff were friendly. Nothing gave me a bad feeling about his ability to do a good job. I am so shocked at how it came out. That being said, even though her ears look awful, she seems to be doing great. She doesn't seem to be in pain and her ears don't smell bad. They do itch like crazy though. She came home with pain meds and I've been using neosporin on her. I'll keep ya'll posted on how its going.
Glad your pup is feeling better. Did you do anything about the hanging piece of ear?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
1. You post a pic of your pup's ears which is concerning, and you state you have concerns about your vet and the crop he did.

2. Folks here agree with you there is cause for concern and offer possible solutions.

3. You defend your vet.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
Do you have pictures of the ears now that they are healing? Do you have experience with posting ears? If not we have some resources here on DT that can be helpful and I'm sure there's somebody in your area on the forum that would be willing to help. It's a shame they let your puppy go home in that condition, but I'm glad she is healing. Hopefully folks reading along will see this is another instance where it really pays off to go with a reputable breeder who will have the ears cropped on all puppies before sending them to their new homes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wasn't defending the vet. I was trying to add a quote from another member and it didn't come out right. Sonya had her ears done 4 days ago. The pic is from day 3. They look a tad better today, but still not good. She saw a different vet last night who said her ears wer'nt infected and the peice coming off will shrink and get better as she heals. Sounds crazy to me so she's seeing our normal vet on Monday. Has anyone seen a crop that looks this bad before? If so, how did it turn out?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts