Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my pup chase was 11 weeks we got his ear cropped by a recommended ear cropper from his breeder. I am very pleased with the outcome although the after care process is what is confusing me. I took him almost 2 hours away to get the surgery done, and I planned on getting them re tapped around my area. The vet who did the surgery recommended taping them up for three weeks or so then re tapping them immediately.. for at least a few months or longer until they are standing..

I took him to a local vet today for a re tapping (first time at this vet) and they do the surgery as well. He re taped them somewhat different, and said I should come back in about 5-7 days to get them off, and let them down, and then if they don't stand a few days after that..re tape them up. Now the vet who did his ears said never to let them down to fall.
I know every vet is different and does things under there own rule of thumb, but I don't see how it makes sense if the ears are supposed to be trained up wouldn't you not want them to fall at all, or even give them the chance to be down?

I was wondering what has been successful for other people.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I never leave ears down for any significant time in between tapings. Maybe a hour or so if they are standing the entire time. There are some that leave the ears down long enough to wait for the ear to just start to tip/fall and then tape back up. Typically, I'll post until they're done with teething. Some people have ears standing before that even. It just depends on the dog.

I might be confused by how it's written, but are you re-taping every 5-7 days or keeping them wrapped for 3 weeks?

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. They were wrapped for three weeks and I went to a different vet to get them re rapped and he said that I should come back in 5-7 days to get them off, and let them sit, then if needed re tape.

What I didn't know about what that the vet who did the procedure had a different out look on it, and he told me to leave them wrapped for 3 weeks then re rape another 3 weeks and so forth.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Who was the vet that did the crop?

I've never heard of anyone leaving ears wrapped/taped for up to 3 weeks with no changes in between. Most people do every 3-5 days and some every 7.

I can't imagine a vet recommending ears in a continuous wrap for that length of time either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My dobie has his ears cropped and they reccommended we come back every 5-7 days for a retaping unless an odor began in his ear or something that required attention before that. 3 weeks is a really long time to keep the same postings in and I don't see much logic in it either. Did you question them as to why every 3 weeks is appropriate in their opinion? As for leaving them down in between postings I'd say no more than a few hours. I used to take my dobie's postings out just before we would leave for the Vets office for retaping.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I am wondering how the original vet gets the taping to last that long. If I knew a way to get a tape job to last that long, I would be all over it. More normal is the 5 to 7 day scenario. I would not leave down for longer then 20 to 30 minutes, just long enough to dry out from cleaning them after untaping. Maybe you should just tell the vet you prefer not to leave the ears down long enough to fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts