Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Brand spanking new to the forums (other than browsing at all the awesome advise). We've been following Zephyr's tutorial on posting and as this is our first Doberman, we'd like to get opinions on her current set of posted ears.

We believe her ears are already standing up great on their own for her age. From what we've read, there's no standard time frame that people continue to post for and it varies by dog. We know some post through teething (something about the calcium and cartilage doing funky things) but as it's the start of summer in Florida, we're really hoping to be able to take her out to the beach to enjoy some water!

*The right ear (her left) does lean in a little bit and will be corrected by no more bracing when posted*

We'd love to hear your opinions on how her ears are looking and thoughts on water activities every now and again with posts off if her ears are standing without any folds.

Zelda is going on 14 weeks and had her ears cropped at 8 weeks. 10 days in the cup and on posts ever since.

And.... I believe this album should be public

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
honestly, the only critique i have is that slight pocket in the ear that's leaning in. losing the brace will definitely help with that, but i'd add a bumper in that ear if it persists.

due to the length of the crop, you absolutely will want to post through teething. if you take her to the beach, just take out the posts and repost once her ears are dry. i'm willing to guess by that point they SHOULD be strong enough to go without for a day.

·
Super Moderator
21,739 Posts
I think they are both tilting in slightly, but they look pretty good. I'd repost with bumpers to reposition them. I think you could absolutely take them down for short periods to go swimming if they are pretty strong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
honestly, the only critique i have is that slight pocket in the ear that's leaning in. losing the brace will definitely help with that, but i'd add a bumper in that ear if it persists.

due to the length of the crop, you absolutely will want to post through teething. if you take her to the beach, just take out the posts and repost once her ears are dry. i'm willing to guess by that point they SHOULD be strong enough to go without for a day.

Appreciate all your suggestions so far. We actually are putting the bumpers on her posts since the beginning. From the pictures we've seen as example of pockets, we can't see any on her. I'll have to take a better look next time we repost again. So far she's doing great without the brace, that will hopefully fix the kink with having them pull to far inwards. It's funny because at first you could see her pull the posts tips together like she would if they were untaped.

We may have to add thicker bumpers to the posts then. Right now we're using the 3/8" backer rod because the 1/2" and 5/8" were going to be too big for her ears.

Do any of you use the cotton ball method for bumpers? I'm wondering if there's a good way of taping those to the backer rod.

You guys/gals are awesome and such a wealth of knowledge! :nicejob:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Appreciate all your suggestions so far. We actually are putting the bumpers on her posts since the beginning. From the pictures we've seen as example of pockets, we can't see any on her. I'll have to take a better look next time we repost again. So far she's doing great without the brace, that will hopefully fix the kink with having them pull to far inwards. It's funny because at first you could see her pull the posts tips together like she would if they were untaped.

We may have to add thicker bumpers to the posts then. Right now we're using the 3/8" backer rod because the 1/2" and 5/8" were going to be too big for her ears.

Do any of you use the cotton ball method for bumpers? I'm wondering if there's a good way of taping those to the backer rod.

You guys/gals are awesome and such a wealth of knowledge! :nicejob:
I've never attached the cotton balls to the post itself, I just push them into the ear at the pocket area, holding them in with my thumb then stick the post in with my other hand and against them then gently squeeze.
I'm also used to using skin glue though so that helps hold them in place against the ear and the post....

The pockets you have or may not have are at the very early stage. That's why they don't look as bad as the pictures in the link :) I'd upgrade to a thicker bumper or Maybe post a photo of your placement.
Overall ditching the bridge will probably be the most beneficial move. Ears should Kay at 10 & 2 when relaxed, and not having a bridge will help the ears get stronger as they move around/get perked up while posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adorable pup and nice crop that really Flatters her head. Good advice above on posting with bumpers to get rid of the pockets. Will need regular photos, you know. ;-)
Haha! I'll be sure to pepper you with photos of her as soon as I can figure out how to multi-post images ;) Next posting is Monday.

I've never attached the cotton balls to the post itself, I just push them into the ear at the pocket area, holding them in with my thumb then stick the post in with my other hand and against them then gently squeeze.
I'm also used to using skin glue though so that helps hold them in place against the ear and the post....

The pockets you have or may not have are at the very early stage. That's why they don't look as bad as the pictures in the link :) I'd upgrade to a thicker bumper or Maybe post a photo of your placement.
Overall ditching the bridge will probably be the most beneficial move. Ears should Kay at 10 & 2 when relaxed, and not having a bridge will help the ears get stronger as they move around/get perked up while posted.
I'll have to grab some cotton balls or instead of cutting the backer rod in half, just stick the whole portion on as the bumper. Cotton balls would likely be more comfortable.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
zeldakins, do yourself a favor and set up an account someplace like photobucket. you can post ALL THE PHOTOS much easier that way. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zeldakins, do yourself a favor and set up an account someplace like photobucket. you can post ALL THE PHOTOS much easier that way. :D

So I did what you suggested and uploaded some more photos of her on photobucket! Zelda Slideshow by sum1serin | Photobucket

Her current 17 week photo is in there. Her tips are wavy but that's because it's been 2 days down (reposting tonight) due to crazy rainy weather and her hatred of rain.

I believe the pocket may be avoided. We've been using cotton balls as bumpers, since that seemed to give the best "poof" against the area.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Looking pretty good :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts