Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing an E-Collar to help with my off-leesh proofing of Takira. She is pretty good on leesh but her off leesh behavoir could certainly be better.

I am just looking for any experience you may have with the E-Collar and perhaps the brand that you would recommend to buy.

I was looking at 2 products one by innotek and another by dogtra, I am not sure wich one would be best.

If you have any tips or tricks ro using the E-Collar please feel free to share with me.

Thanks
DA

·
Registered
193 Posts
A member of our SAR group uses an Innotek ecollar - swears by it. I don't use ecollars myself; he won't train with anything else. He's had no problem at all with his ecollar and has had it several years now -and has excellent results with his dog.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hello, I think I might be able to help. We have one for Gracie. You can see pictures of it in the gallery I have of her pictures.

We paid a lot of money for training that worked for a good 2 or 3 months. So we went out and bought a E-collar. We got a innoteck, it works great. We have the one with 9 levels.

We use the beep almost all the time. So far we haven't had to use the shock part to many times. We have used it a few time but for the most part she is fine with just the beep. Her training that we got her a few months ago taught us to use loud noises to get her attention, we did then she figured out what we wanted and said the hell with it I guess.

Now with the E-collar she can go in the front yard with out a leash and stay in the yard. This is a dog that if you give her an inch she will take 10 miles. Now if you give her an inch she will take a 1/2 inch. She now know what is okay to do and what isn't.

When we went on vacation we had it on her because gets over excited around new people. We didn't have to use it once!

If you need anymore help or advice let me know. :)

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
frznbuns said:
I do not know what an E collar is. Please fill me in!
An E-Collar is an electronic collar with a remote that sends a small shock to the dog for correction. It is used for training purposes by someone that understands what a training tool is and will not abuse it.

I found a great site about E-Collars and advice for using them and purchasing them. http://www.loucastle.com/

I think I have decided on the Dogtra 200 collar, now just to find the best price. :D

DA

·
Banned
375 Posts
im not a fan of them period... iw ouldnt want my mom to put a collar on me and shock me no matter how big the shock is...not a fan but that is just my opinion sorry

·
Registered
193 Posts
Some, if not all, ecollars also have tones that can be sent. Most dogs can be conditioned to respond to the tone rather than the shock. They are very useful in field work. For instance, when tracking a fugitive, you don't want to give away your dog's position - or your own, so you can use the tone on an ecollar to recall the dog. Additionally, hunting dogs can be redirected from a distance. Ecollars eliminate the need for a direct line of sight when working your dog.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whiteandblue said:
im not a fan of them period... iw ouldnt want my mom to put a collar on me and shock me no matter how big the shock is...not a fan but that is just my opinion sorry
Dont be sorry for your opinion, it is how you feel and that is fine. I am not a big fan of choker collars, I have seen way too many people not know how to correctly use them and end up hurting the dogs neck. Just keep in mind that any training tool in the wrong hands can hurt a dog, that includes choker type collars, prong or pinch, and of course ecollars. It is all in how you use them.

Thanks for the information shadeslane, from what I gather after just a few nic's most dogs learn very quickly and only the audible signal is needed after that. That is my goal, not to have to use the shock portion unless needed.

DA

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The first time we put ours on Gracie you have to do a shock to see what number they respond at. The first day we had it we didn't have to shock her but the one time like I said above. She didn't like the beep and would correct what ever she was doing.

Also do you have a Pet Supples Plus where you live? We found that their collars are the cheapest. The one we got was $250 every where else we went. At Pet Supplies Plus it was $199 + tax.Not to bad I must say so my self. :D

Good luck and they work great.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Doberadmin said:
Dont be sorry for your opinion, it is how you feel and that is fine. I am not a big fan of choker collars, I have seen way too many people not know how to correctly use them and end up hurting the dogs neck. Just keep in mind that any training tool in the wrong hands can hurt a dog, that includes choker type collars, prong or pinch, and of course ecollars. It is all in how you use them.

Thanks for the information shadeslane, from what I gather after just a few nic's most dogs learn very quickly and only the audible signal is needed after that. That is my goal, not to have to use the shock portion unless needed.

DA
You are absolutely correct... i feel the same way about those collars... my female dobe is doing good on harness... my male dobe... he wont walk... he does back flips... barks growls... dont know what to do with him..:(

hmmm maybe need to try something different any ideas?

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whiteandblue said:
my male dobe... he wont walk... he does back flips... barks growls... dont know what to do with him..:(

hmmm maybe need to try something different any ideas?
Well honestly after reading alot of your posts it is quite obvious to me that your dogs are not trained properly. I know they are young but you need to get on them now, dont let this mole hill turn into a mountain.

I would recommend that you get the basics OB down. Your dogs should be able to walk by your side in a heel without any troubles. That is just a basic OB command. If he does back flips, barks and growls then I would say you are not in control of your dog. You need to go back to basics, show that dog who the Alpha is in your family, sounds to me like he thinks he is the Pack Leader.

I would suggest you invest in some basic OB training with a proffesional trainer in your local area. There are all kinds of OB trainers out there, Clickers, Treats, Positive reinforcement, you name it they will market it. Bottom line is that your dog needs to know his place in your Pak, you are the leader now start acting like it. Dogs need guidance and obedience, they dont always need to be hugged and kissed and coddled and loved, you must be firm at times.

DA

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up buying the Dogtra 200NCP from www.gundogsonline.com best price I could fine $189.00 free shipping.

https://www.gundogsonline.com/ProdDtl.asp?iProdID=10864

The new Dogtra 200NCP Gold bridges the gap between the popular pet trainers and the Pro line. It incorporates many of the features as our Pro-series at a more affordable price. Features include water-resistant transmitter/waterproof receiver, half-mile range nick/constant stimulation and our patented non-stimulating pager mode along with Dogtra's industry-leading durability. Rechargeable Ni-MH Batters in both the collar and transmitter

I am going to follow Lou Castles guide for training recall and such with it. Wish me look.

DA

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Good luck with it. We were looking at the one you got and the one we got. Let me know how yours works will ya? I'm sure that if Takira is anything like Gracie she will catch on quick that the beep is better than the shock. Gracie is very good at recalls now unless we are in a very busy place which I am trying to get her to be better at the recall at that point now too. I am thinking about taking her to the park up the road and working on it there. Of course she will have to have a leash on while working on it.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks I will let you know how I like it.

Thats what I plan on doing going to the park with a 40 foot training lead and the E-Collar. Should be fun, I hope. :D

DA

·
Banned
375 Posts
:tonguezzz
Doberadmin said:
Well honestly after reading alot of your posts it is quite obvious to me that your dogs are not trained properly. I know they are young but you need to get on them now, dont let this mole hill turn into a mountain.

I would recommend that you get the basics OB down. Your dogs should be able to walk by your side in a heel without any troubles. That is just a basic OB command. If he does back flips, barks and growls then I would say you are not in control of your dog. You need to go back to basics, show that dog who the Alpha is in your family, sounds to me like he thinks he is the Pack Leader.

I would suggest you invest in some basic OB training with a proffesional trainer in your local area. There are all kinds of OB trainers out there, Clickers, Treats, Positive reinforcement, you name it they will market it. Bottom line is that your dog needs to know his place in your Pak, you are the leader now start acting like it. Dogs need guidance and obedience, they dont always need to be hugged and kissed and coddled and loved, you must be firm at times.

DA

Admin my dogs are trained properly... but obviously they are puppies if you would have read... and puppies do puppy thing unless you have forgotten... so let me say again... flaming an individual was supposedly against YOUR rules but you do a darn good job at it yourself.. and that is not good leader ship PACK LEADER...

secondly.... i havent gottne to walk with him by his self... because my female is always around... and my hubby works twelve hours a day hard to find time when we both can do this... so really until they are 6 months all the show breeders and trainers i have spoken too around seattle and vancouver BC say six months is the earliest they should be trained.... because they are kids... so there for i came to ask questions... and i was under the impression that this forum you could ask questions instead of sit around and flame and talk crap about other ppl and or their dobes..

these dobes are finally understanding where to potty and where not to potty.... and they have all they need until they are six months... my dobe needs to walk on a leash like Tasneem but since YOU the leader of this pack are such an ass... believe this... i wont be back and i damn sure wont send ppl here....

It is ppl like you... doberkim,,, CoAls (though she does have a little diginity and respect here), that make forums turn out horrible.. because all you as the PACK LEADER, do and say something different... because you are no better than the DPCA Nor are you other ppl... all of you that promote killing and euthanasia of white dobes are ****ED UP.... and that is that.... believe me... i havent been upset yet... this is kinda funny.... again.... forum leaders worse than their ppl that are memebers....

I would appreciate it if you would delete me because some of you have lost your minds in here...

no offense to those white dobe lovers and those dobe lovers that love all colors.. and treat ppl equally no matter what... thanks YOU GUYS you have been great

SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH is what it is... none of you that made stupid remarks understand science is science no matter how much you try to or want to manipulate it it stays the same... those of us with whites know...

AND YES I WILL BREED MY WHITE DOBERMAN... AND I WILL CONTINUE THE PHANTOM BLOODLINES... because so far this breeder is the only breeder so far and actually dealt with that was honest... no offense stormhaus... because you know i love your babies... and i wanna tlak to you about getting another... possibly from you... but we will see....hugs to those of you that deserve it and to those who dont well nevermind not worth it...

I dont take personal attacks from anyone when it regarding my dogs... sorry for ya...!

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First of all I didnt flame you in anyway, I actually gave you good advice. Something I have experience in and know about.

Second I have never seen any one say they wanted to harm white dobermans. I think you are going a little over board here. I never attacked you, I told you exactly what my OB trainer told me, like it or not. dont believe me? ck his website or ask him yourself www.a1totalcontrol.com his name is Steve Nixon and he is an older German fella with over 25 years experience in training dogs.

If you want to leave fine, but dont use me as your escape goat.

DA

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow!

My dobe was not only walking on a leash at six months but he knew just about everything by then. While you shouldn't be taking them through an agility course at six months not much elses will hurt them.

I've never seen a dobe on a harness. I'd think a regualr collar and leash may help a little.

I've thought about the e collar just for getting his attention when he does his bunny chasing! He cna get so distracted that nothing will get his attention. I have been attaching my lounge line to him and just letting him drag that when we go out in the fields. I keep thinking I cna do it without it but I swear he must close his ears when I start calling him. any other time he listens great. Its just in the darn field!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts