Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, Zeus is being subjected to the cone of shame until we can get his skin under control. As soon as it starts to get better, he goes crazy OCD and tears himself apart. This is in no way a permanent solution or 'easy way out' for me, but the vet agreed that it would be beneficial to use when I'm away for a few weeks or so. Thankfully, he seems to be pretty ok with it all, and he seems to recognize the cone means no chewing on himself because he has yet to try. The first cone I got was too 'short' and left too much of his snoz out, so I got the next side up. However, even with the XXL, I think he is still capable of getting his back legs. The problem is that he has really bad wet neck which messes up positioning the collar, and the collar will slowly fall down his long neck, allowing his munchers freedom to munch. Does anyone have recommendations for securing it in place with another collar etc? Even with training collars, flat collars, and loops, I have the issue with his wet neck. I have to put collars excessively tight to keep them in place, and then if they slide down any it will be too tight in the middle of his neck. He just has way too much skin where his actual neck is at the smallest.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I use the regular flat collar inside the e-collar/cone. Then you can take a really long piece of gauze, thread it through collar, wrap it under the armpits and back around and tie it. This way when the try to pull it off, the armpit piece catches it.

Reactions: Asmit

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Simon has a lick granuloma we're fighting to get cleared up right now. He couldn't handle an e-collar, so we ended up putting him in a nice, lightweight basket muzzle when we can't supervise him. He can pant and drink in it easily, and it's comfortable for him. Normally I wouldn't recommend leaving a dog in a muzzle, but I don't think it's any riskier than a cone. Simon is MUCH more comfortable in his muzzle and we're getting very close to having his lick sore healed. If you can't get the cone to work it might be an option for you.

·
Got mutt?
13,851 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts