Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I really don't know anything about it, but I knew a dwarfed Doberman. She had a shorter life expectancy and I believe her organs (specifically her kidneys IIRC) were compromised also. I think she lived to about 5 years old. She was a strange little dog but pretty much everybody who met her loved her. She was a little off mentally, but not in a way that ever made her dangerous... I have no idea though whether that was related to her dwarfism or not.

Reactions: lemon and monicaei

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Monica I almost hate to say it cause we have already discussed it so much but don't you think the Warlock gene could cure dwarfism in Dobermans.....:)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
A while ago I met a doberman that only lived to be at the most a year old? But he never got above the size of a 4 month old puppy, (probably not more than 30 lbs) and he was very simple like a young puppy. His owner called him dwarfed, but I don't know if he actually had dwarfism. I do know he had a lot of health issues though.

·
Premium Member
8,734 Posts
DVDPA in PA had a fawn dwarf a few years ago - super sweet boy, but he also died youngish. The owner had a necropsy done, but there was no definitive reason as to why he died.

Reactions: lemon and monicaei

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
A while ago I met a doberman that only lived to be at the most a year old? But he never got above the size of a 4 month old puppy, (probably not more than 30 lbs) and he was very simple like a young puppy. His owner called him dwarfed, but I don't know if he actually had dwarfism. I do know he had a lot of health issues though.
I also knew a Doberman similar to what you're describing. He didn't have dwarfism but he did have liver issues from a very young age. I think it was a liver shunt, but I could be wrong. Definitely liver of some sort though. He died just short of a year old and was from a BYB somewhere.

Reactions: Dobelove

·
Got mutt?
13,821 Posts
Never saw a dwarf Dobe, but I have seen a dwarf GSD. Very strange looking dog. Full size GSD body on short little legs. I don't know if it was related to his dwarfism or not, be he had a lousy temperament.

Dwarfism used to be a real concern in Malamutes, but they (good breeders, anyway) have been able to breed away from it, for the most part. I think they now have a (Malamute specific) genetic test for it

Reactions: monicaei

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
That Aussie article was really interesting!

·
Premium Member
8,734 Posts
Interesting.. I just came across this topic after stumbling on the photo of this little guy:

His petfinder page was here:
Petfinder Adopted Dog | Doberman Pinscher | Phoenixville, PA | Bruno (little guy)

I agree that from the size of body, head and feet, he appears to be a true dwarf.
His page was also in the adoption section of the forum awhile back.
His name was changed after he was adopted - this is the boy from DVDPA - a total sweet heart. We all cried when he died. We do know that he apparently came from a pet store - his family dumped him when he didn't exactly turn into the Doberman they envisioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts