Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I realize that Ilka's not a Dobe, but this is a question that applies to all dogs, really. What type of dumbbell you experienced obedience people reccomend? I know for a fact that she HATES the plastic one I got her, so I definitely need a wooden one. I am looking at J & J's dumbbells, and am pretty sure about the size I need. The question is, which one to get? Solid one-piece, regular three piece, plain unpainted, or white painted ends? One of each, painted and plain? Help? :confused:

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I wonder this too.... Do you bring your own dumbbells to obedience trials? Do you need to have metal ones?

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder this too.... Do you bring your own dumbbells to obedience trials? Do you need to have metal ones?
For AKC Open (middle level class), you need either a wooden or plastic dumbbell for a retireive on the flat, and a retrieve over the high jump. In Utility (highest level class) you need 5 identical metal objects, 5 identical leather objects for scent discrimination (dog retrieves the articles with the handler's scent, one of each), and three plain white cotton gloves for a directed retrieve. The handler supplies the dumbbell, scent articles and gloves. I know the Canadian Kennel Club has similar, but slightly different rules.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I do not like wood dumbells bc I feel like it encourages chomping which is a bad habit to start. If your dog has an aversion to carrying hard objects then I would not start with a dumbell at all. You don't want any negetive association with it. When I start retrieving I use common household items. Start with having your dog hold a sock then remote, phone, spoon, paper towel tube or anything else that you have laying around. Make it a fun game and then introduce the plastic and metal dumbell.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have a maple dumbbell that I ordered from Dog Agility Equipment Manufactured by Max 200. You measure your dogs mouth according to their website and they make it to size.
You can also call and they will help you.

The dumbbell is not a toy so you don't allow them to get in the habit of chewing it.

Also, a lot of dogs don't like metal in their mouths so IMO, it's a good idea to teach them along the way to hold a metal bar (or dumbbell) in their mouth so
they'll be used to it.

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've actually gone ahead and ordered her two of J&J's three piece dumbbells, one plain and one with painted ends. I used the directions on the J&J site to get the size, and can exchange them if I got it wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts