Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I took Duke into the vet for posting and there were two other Dobermans there for posting as well. Of course we were all talking then 15 minutes after I arrived there this beautiful big Doberman walked out from the back and I immediately said "Is that Mensa?" "Are you Chaz?" Low and behold it was the two. It was cool to meet someone from the forums. I had seen the pictures of their boat ride right before I left to the vet so it was easier to recognize Mensa. Chaz stayed around for awhile and Duke and Mensa played and got along great. It was very fun to watch them both play. Mensa's temperment was excellent. She was a perfect Doberman. I was trying hard to take some pictures with my cell phone while talking to Chaz. During their play session another dog came in some kind of pit bull mix and Mensa and Duke Immediately stopped playing and took on a defensive role. The other dog was aggressive. It felt like Mensa and Duke teamed up to defend themselves and their owners. It was really cool to see. Chaz left right after that. Here are the two best photos I was able to take the rest are blurry.

After they left, we went to repost his ears and they stood. The vet tech asked if I wanted to leave the post off but I felt that after one week of posting it was too soon.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww thats so cool! :) Thats cool you know chaz! He is always a great help :) and Mensa and Duke are too cute together! :) They look like buddies already :)
...and now there is a Duke on the forum to go with Duchess's name :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've met a couple of people from the Doberman boards and even more from my nursing board. It's cool to be able to put a face to the name.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It was neat meating up with a fellow Forumite. I figured it was just a matter of time because we see the same Vet about once a week or so.

Duke's a good looking boy!

There were four Dobermans in the waiting room at the same time.

It seems to me that Dobermans recognize their own kind, and are always eager to socialize with other Dobermans.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Chaz said:
It seems to me that Dobermans recognize their own kind, and are always eager to socialize with other Dobermans.
I've noticed that when we have been to a show where you have to bench the dogs,they have all the different breeds benched together and if you walk down the dobe benches with a dobe all is quiet,but if someone with another breed walks down,take cover all hell is let loose.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
That is so neat to meet someone from the forum. They both look good in the pics, looks like they were enjoying each other!

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
As far as I can tell all dogs if not fully socialized and trained to be otherwise will be uneasy about other breeds. Many of them have absolute hissy fits about dogs that don't look like them.

My Aussie was used as a socialization tool for a lot of Dobe puppies since they seem to be more inclined to be defensive/aggressive in response to meeting or seeing coated dogs the first few times. I'm really missing Henry the Aussie right now because the 9 month old puppy thinks he should be barking at dogs that don't look like Dobes (years ago when an Afghan Hound I owned was a puppy he did the same thing about short haired dogs that didn't look like Afghans). The Dobe puppy is fine around any sort of dog once he meets them.

Because it's such a PIA with an adult who throws a fit about seeing a non-Dobe and because I certainly don't want any dogs of mine doing it at shows and trials I discourage reactions to the sight of non-Dobes immediately. I also try and see if the owner of the other dog will let the puppy get a closer look so that he knows it's just another dog.

·
Registered
47 Posts
it is so great to hear story's like that. Especially when two people from the forum meet up. Best part of the story has to be when both dobe's teamed up into a defensive role. Just love that!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats great- so nice to meet up with someone from the forum. And looks like Duke & Mensa got on well too!

Brum- do you go to many shows? As I'm in the uk as well, I may end up bumping into you at some point! Any tips for recognising you?!!!!!

Rachael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts