Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys...just wondering if you guys can either explain or help duchess's behavior...we have never had two dogs at one time...and so we have never dealt with this kind of stuff...
to be nice and simple Duchess just seems SOOOOO mean to coco at times when we are outside in the yard playing. sometimes she will just start running after coco...first playing chase around the shed...but then when she finally catches up to coco she will jump and tackle him and knock him over pretty hard then BARK BARK BARK at him lunge...she has never put a mark on him or even a scratch...but this kind of thing if you can even call it playing...scares coco...and he tries to snap and lunge back on occassion...
usually its when she is either chasing coco..or when its time to go in the house. She is just real real rough and mean when it comes to playing with him...
I don't know whether she is trying to get him to toughen up and play...like she is tired of always chasing him and wants coco to chase her...so she barks and barks at him and does a play bow...but she tackles him so hard!
She loves other dogs at the dog park...and does this bark bark bark and run with some dogs she knows pretty well at the dog park...but she doesnt do it at all like she does to coco!
It is hard to explain...and maybe tomorrow I will get a video clip of this behavior cause to me it doesnt seem right at all...but since coco is so timid and fearful as it is...I dont know whether its just cause he gets overwhelmed and surrenders to her...and meanwhile she might be just trying to either feed off of his fear or make him tougher or something...but I may have to start taking them out seperately. They can play side by side fine...its just if something triggers duchess's focus to coco...she will want to chase him down and knock him right on his butt and do the bark bark bark run away lunge stuff...
:help_up_2

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response so soon :) I will still try to get a clip of this...cause if you know coco's background how he was abused and so he gets irritable and overwhelmed easily with stranger dogs...and when duchess does this to him...he tries standing up for himself...but I dont know whether he should be or now...cause like I said it doesnt seem like duchess means to do any harm to him...she just gets consumed in this world like "CHARGE AT COCO AND MAKE HIM FALL!!! THEN BARK AT HIM TILL HE CANT TAKE IT NO MORE!" world

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i dont mind the bark bark bark...I just dont like when she runs RIGHT at him and then runs right into him sometimes even on top of him...and he falls badly to the ground.:(

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay so I got some clips...you definately need sound too see how annoying the bark is! lol and your dogs will probably wonder what is going on!
in this one..below they are always playing chase...and then once coco gives up and she tackles him...he usually gets knocked down on his butt...and duchess barks at him ...then he starts trying to snap back while trying to run in the house.
http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=EEC52A297E7D99B0

sometimes she will just run and BODY SLAM him then he is on the ground and she barks at him...so the clip above she actually wasnt as rough as she usually is...but you can still see how coco doesnt like it

http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=D2C8FD5AB040EC0A

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i probably am overthinking it...but like I said we have never had two dogs at once...When she was a puppy she played rough and she was always very vocal so maybe she just doesnt understand coco...
She gets LOTS of excersise...we are always taking them outside to play and not lately b.c im scared of ticks lol but I use to take her to the dog park for 3 hours about 5 times a week...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah with dogs duchess doesnt know she is fine...she is actually very very calm around them...when she gets to know them or she clicks with them she will sprint with them...she likes when the other dog is chasing her....coco never chases duchess...its always duchess chasing coco...she even acts more polite and manageable to coco when my friends dog is over so it is the three of them...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no actually it did help me. I just feel bad for coco sometimes cause I always have this feeling that it is duchess just trying to get him to toughen up and play...but coco doesnt take it well at all...and it is usually happens most when we say "time to go inside" one time Duchess came in with a dime sized chunk out of her cheek from coco getting mad at her...its all healed perfectly now...which shocked me...it even had a little small flap that hung down...and we were thinking it may need a stitch...but we just used a small round bandaid on it till it started to fuse back.
See the thing is...they pretty much go outside to play...they know outside in the backyard is playtime! I should do training out there with them and just relax out there with them so that they realize that the backyard doesnt have to be so precious.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah it was gross...and we do break it up it just takes a lot for duchess to listen when she realizes she wants to play like this with coco...well its summer now and I can be outside more and just relax so I will have to do that and bring treats out with me...the only thing is once duchess knows I have treats...she sits right in front of me and just watches

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks guys...I went outside today to draw...and sat in a chair while the dogs either relaxed or played...I was just out there relaxing and they did great! Coco even started to chase Duchess around! She loved that! Then they just lounge in the grass...and then I started to play more with them and they did fine still! so Im going to try to bring them out for longer periods of time...to just hangout outside.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
well our backyard is pretty big...i mean not big but not small...I use to take her to the dog park...but I havent recently...but will again once we get her on something for ticks. Coco...we can't take to any open fields to run free ....unless we get him the greyhound type basket muzzle so he can breath fine still. It is hard to take them together if it is just me...cause I have to watch Coco real close cause he gets scared...but like I said I use to and LOVE to take duch to the dog park.
here is a pretty good idea of the yard we have...there is a little more to it...if i could extend the picture to make the whole yard fit there would probably be about 3 inches more on each side

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.