Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bruno doesn't have any raised areas. But he has such bad dander!!! Would you get rid of this the same way?

I'm also gussing since it's winter time here. He's very dry. I'm hoping there is a way to get rid of it tho. Because he's such a pretty boy I'd hate for him to suffer from "flakes" hehe

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yeah that's what sucks about winter. I don't want to wipe him down with anything, then he has to go out for a pee. It's very chilly here in the winter. I'm sure I could do that in the summer tho. So for now he's a flaky boy lol

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Dander issues can be cleared up by feeding them a super premium kibble. They contain the necessary omega 3 and omega 6 necessary to help with this. Also adding fish oils to his food can help. I have my girl on Canidae and she has not had a dander issue. It also makes sense that in the winter, it does get pretty dry in houses due to furnace heat has no humidity in it. If he has a really shiney coat, with dander then I would think something else might be causing this.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Kratty said:
Dander issues can be cleared up by feeding them a super premium kibble. They contain the necessary omega 3 and omega 6 necessary to help with this. Also adding fish oils to his food can help. I have my girl on Canidae and she has not had a dander issue. It also makes sense that in the winter, it does get pretty dry in houses due to furnace heat has no humidity in it. If he has a really shiney coat, with dander then I would think something else might be causing this.
I have been wanting to ask this as well. Princi has been on Canidae since almost the biginning and she gets "Grizzly Salmon Oil" mixed with her food twice a day. But she still gets some dry skin and "bumps" once in a while, especially these days since its cold out and the heat is on in the house constantly. I know being a fawn also makes this more likely for her but so far her coat is very shiny and healthy I would say.

Like some of you have suggested the avon product, are there any other spray on or rub on oils/creams that I can use. I bath her once every few months or if she gets really dirty.

Thanks

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I would also try some of the doggy creme rinse's. I know Solid Gold also makes a hot oil treatment that you use before shampooing. They also have a "gel" shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin. I'm sure that there are lots of good products out there though.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I was told that gentle brushing is essential when dander starts to show as removing the flakes is better for the skin. Will def try Skin So Soft. I have been putting a bit of Vitamin E on any small dry raised areas and it seems to be working. Apparently Dobes have a tendency to develop keloids (raised scar tissue) and the Vit E helps to stop this from happening. Certainly worked on her ears when she developed an infection during taping. Am also going to try adding more salmon/tuna to Java's diet, hopefully the fish oil will help. She LOVES both of these.

Java has also developed some canine acne on her chin, so I've been more diligent about cleaning her chin after meals and gently wiping the area with hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball. That seems to be working wonders - the area looked much better after two days. If anyone has any other ideas about treating this condition, I'd appreciate the advice.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Aww.....Dober acne....Your little girl is growing up.....I have found that a little neosporian has helped us in the past.....I forgot where I heard this from, but it does help....I really did not see much of the acne after she was over a year old....

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I was told not to use hydrogen peroxide because it kills the good bacteria along with the bad?? Maybe try cleaning with Apple Cider Vinegar instead.

Also - I got some of the Solid Gold Jojoba Coat Conditioner and that stuff is AWESOME!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts