Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Maximus the Great
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, our pup Max has dry skin. The vet gave us Omega 3 supplement for his food yesterday to help. He's had only 1 bath with oatmeal shampoo and we know not to shampoo too often and use wipes if needed for cleaning. It has been unusually cold here as well (he is an indoor dog, only outside for bathroom use and extra playtime). Any advice to help along with the vet's suggestions/advice for his dry skin?:thanx:

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
how old is he now?

sometimes as a pup sheds out its puppy coat the skin can get a bit drier during the shed.........

I prefer to put my pups onto an adult dog food....I have fed Purina Pro Plan salmon and rice for many years and rarely if ever have any skin or digestive issues.

are his foot pads and nose leather dry too?

·
Maximus the Great
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how old is he now?

sometimes as a pup sheds out its puppy coat the skin can get a bit drier during the shed.........

I prefer to put my pups onto an adult dog food....I have fed Purina Pro Plan salmon and rice for many years and rarely if ever have any skin or digestive issues.

are his foot pads and nose leather dry too?
The Breeder had them on a special type of food that he got directly from a supplier not sold in local stores. The vet explained the large breed puppy food would be best for him, it's not adult food but puppy food for large breed dogs. I should get the salmon instead of the lamb, I'm sure that would definitely help. He's put on 4 pounds in a little over a week. He will be 9 weeks tomorrow 1/10/14. I also wondered about the puppy coat causing dry skin. The vet mentioned that as well.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
best to follow your Vets instructions. :)

probably is nothing more than just a coat 'change'.

Hugz to Max!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts