Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dog tyson sometimes gets flakes on his coat. I think it is due to the low humididty/ high heat of arizona. Whats something that I could give him to help with his coat??

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Could well be that the heat does stress him and that can make him a little flaky,i just use a shampoo with tea tree oil in but there are loads of other things that could clear it up such as a change in diet,it is usually a case of suck it and see try different things and see if you get any improvement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was giving him alaskan fish oil for quite a while and it seemed to do the trick. maybe i will start doing that again. I was just wondering if there are any homepathic remedies that I might try?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java loves salmon and tuna - I keep the tuna to a min due to mercury, but the fish oil in the canned wild salmon (buy in bulk when it's on sale) helps keep her coat healthy. Vitamin E helps as well, as does an egg (cooked any way) every other day in her food. I have to invest in a horse brush - it really helps distribute the natural oils in the coat and lifts out any flakes.

Would love to hear of any other natural remedies as well...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ohhh, I can only dream of low humidity for a couple weeks during winter...it's 93 degrees here today and with the high humidity it's like being wrapped in a wet wool blanket. Anyway, as for the dry skin, one suggestion would be to add some mayonnaise to his food on a regular basis. A dollop or two on the side (or mixed in, whichever way he likes it) a couple times a week. It's convenient, effective and cost efficient. Mayo is always on sale here at buy one/get one free. Mayo = egg + oil. Is that homeopathic enough?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
There is a supplement called Missing Link. It can even be found at Petsmart that works well for dry skin. I used it about two years ago for some months and was pleased with the results. It is a pretty popular supplement. Solid Gold also has an excellent supplement called Seal Meal, as well as a multivitamin.

I supplement a high quality kibble (Eagle Pack Holistic) every feeding time (twice daily for adults dogs) with small amounts of foods like natural peanut butter (good omegas), natural full fat yogurt, cheeses (mainly mozz., cottage, and riottca), lightly cooked meats and veggies, digestive enzymes, canned version of the kibble, pure natural honey from my area, etc. with fresh cooked eggs a couple times per week.

Not only does it help with dry skin but it helps with weight, energy, and helps give a wonderful shiny, glowing, and healthy looking coat.

Just be careful not to overdo the supplements or you can give Dobermans loose stools. Add small amounts to tolerance daily.

Fish oil, flaxseed oil, and olive oil are sometimes also helpful for some dogs to get their coats in better shape. I have had vets that recommend a multi-vitamin for dogs. But for other dogs, less is more. They do well on plain kibble or whatever the owner feeds without any supplements.

Just remember, every dog can have different needs and a different feeding plan that works best for them, even siblings within the same litter.

This link might be helpful too: http://www.dpca-breedered.com/dry_shampoo.html
Brushing during the week can also help keep the coat looking nice. I use a rubber curry horse brush.

If you are interested in a holistic approach to Doberman health, you can help locate a holistic vet using : http://www.holisticvetlist.com/ We use a holistic vet as our main vet and are very pleased with the results. But we also use a traditional vet too occasionally.

Welcome to the board.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Boy, would Monte love to live at your house, dobesanddragons. :) He gets two cups of Innova kibble in the morning and the same at night. Once every week or two he gets a raw egg in one meal, and occasionally he gets some canned food with his dinner. And he gets things from the refrigerator that I'm not going to eat but are still good and I don't want to throw them out. Having a dog is great for not wasting that stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just bought some SealMeal today. I'm hoping that it will help tyson with his dry skin as well as provide all the vitamins he needs. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
SeaMeal is great, I tried to only feed it to mine once a day instead of splitting it over 2 meals, and they looked at me like I had lost my mind. They wont eat it if the seameal isnt in there now. The Solid Gold Flaxseed Oil is also good. And the Jojoba Conditioner is awesome, Just about every dog in our Schutzhund Club uses that stuff now, LOL.

Also, like D&D said, the missing link is good too, I used that with my boxer before I switched her to this food, it did help clear up her skin problems, but since I have been using this food, she has a beautiful coat. I would only use one though, either Missing Link or SeaMeal if it were me. Maybe MicDobe or D&D could tell you which is better. I get all my food advice from them :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah im only going to give it 1 time a day. I gave it to him yesterday after his night run and he loved the stuff! I mixed it with warm water and added it to a sample pack of Innovo Evo. My vet hadn't tried the new high protein solid gold formula but he said that the Evo has the same type of ratio.

He wolfed it down and was snapping his jaws like a crocodile!
My vet recomended keeping him on his current food and using a product like EVO to supplement as kibble.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi had dry skin. I had her on Nutro and supplemented with Linatone. The linatone helped quite a bit, but she was still flaky pretty often. When I fed her primarily RAW, her coat was pretty good but I had to keep her on the linatone - if I didn't give it to her for even just a few days, you could tell a huge difference in her coat.
I switched to Canidae about three weeks ago and have not given Linatone once. Her coat and skin are in better condition that ever before. I haven't seen a single flake, even after the stress of boarding. She has had no gass in about a week and a half (big deal because this was one gassy baby! it would bring tears to your eyes!) and her poos are very small :) Also, I used to have to bathe her at least once a week. She was just a stinky dog. Not sure what the difference is with Canidae but she doesn't stink anymore :)
Canidae costs a fortune here but I feed quite a bit less than I did of Nutro and don't have to supplement, so it almost evens out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts