Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get a survey conducted here on what everyone feeds their dobes for dry food....

All of my dogs get hollistic dry food. I've always been a big fan of hollistic, being so much more natural and additive free. I feed my dogs Natural Balance Duck and Potato (allergy) formula which consists of one carb and one protein with nutrients added such as flax seed and omega-3's.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My dogs all get California Natural Lamb & Rice dry food, along with some CN canned or Innova canned with it twice a day (Tango doesn't get it twice a day, only once). Tango eats the same kibble mixed with the same canned in the mornings, but she gets raw for dinner in the evening.

With their kibble, they get an egg twice a week and fish oil.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I feed dry and raw,the dry food is one made here in the U.K.called James Wellbeloved.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Both of my dogs are on Purina Pro plan Beef & Rice I love the food for the amazing job it does on my dogs coat.

On my red guy I also so give him Salmon oil and Norwegian kelp.

I have tried other foods including Holistic but this food has worked the best :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I was just able to switch mine to Canidae, they were on Nutro for a long time. I have to drive a ways to get it but well worth it knowing I am able to give them something better. They also get an egg and cottage cheese about 3 times a week.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I Just switched my boy (and all of the poodles) to Natural Balance. He seems to really like it and I think his coat looks better already, it looked really dry this summer, also he seems to be gaining some weight that he needed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I feed BilJac and a healthy powder I got the recipe out of the book Natural Health for Dogs & Cats. Oh and 200 iu of vitamin E.& omega 3 fish oil.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Ilsa and Ronin get a 30%/70% mix of a variety of foods. Last month it was Innova Small Bites and California Natural Chicken. This month is Innova (normal size) and Solid Gold Wolf King. They also get a can of Merrick's mixed in with their evening meal.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I feed my guys Canidae. I also give them vit. E and fish oil daily.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Can someone explain to me what a "holistic" dog food is?

My Doberman is fed Evo kibble moistened with water. Occasionally he gets Evo canned with it, or a raw egg.

I'm cooking for my two IGs, because they are elderly and have chronic health issues that require either a homecooked diet or a prescription kibble/canned diet.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Two of mine are on Canidae. One is on Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato kibble.

The only supplement all the dogs get all the time is fish oil. Razzle is getting parsley added to her food right now to try to avoid a false pregnancy. Rush has had elevated liver values, so he gets Sam-E and a milk thistle/vit.E/zinc supplement to deal with that.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Can someone explain to me what a "holistic" dog food is?
My mom is the one who knows about this...but Ill give a small attempt to give you a response now :)
It is just food that is made without any BHA or animal biproducts...or any other unnatural fillers etc...
correct me if im wrong...like I said that is from what I understand...
Basically organic I think...nothing in it that shouldn't be in it.

luckily for us we have this small holistic pet store right near us that we buy from...
www.naturalpetmarket.com
im sure others can explain better than I can :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LapDog said:
My mom is the one who knows about this...but Ill give a small attempt to give you a response now :)
It is just food that is made without any BHA or animal biproducts...or any other unnatural fillers etc...
correct me if im wrong...like I said that is from what I understand...
Basically organic I think...nothing in it that shouldn't be in it.

luckily for us we have this small holistic pet store right near us that we buy from...
www.naturalpetmarket.com
im sure others can explain better than I can :)
Holistic and organic aren't interchangeable terms. And just because a food is free from additives like BHA or fillers doesn't mean it's organic. The FDA has set guidelines about the criteria that has to be met for a food to be called organic.

Many of the kibbles billed as super premium, for example, use human grade ingredients. But they're not necessarily ORGANIC ingredients.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Innova in the green bag here. We switched him over about a month ago from Nutro Max and I have to admit his coat is looking even better than before. Tuck did gain some weight - Doberkim yelled at me for it hehehe - but I think we finally got the portions right now.
Tucker isn't shedding as much, his coat like I said looks amazing and fuller(?) and he seems to have less itchy face and eye boogers

·
Banned
675 Posts
Innova can be really fattening. I used to feed the Innova in the green bag, too, before Evo came out. When I first started using it, I fed the same amount as I had of their previous food, and all the dogs gained weight, I had to cut the amount of food back. Of course, that helped with the cost.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Velma has been on California Natural Chicken and Rice for about 3 years now.

Louise was on the same till last month. I have her switched over to Evo, but it is too soon to tell how she is doing on it.

They both get C,E, and fishoil. I've been mixing some merrick canned in at least once a day, and some cottage cheese, egg, or yogurt the other feeding.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts