Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little 4 month old Doberman puppy seems to me to drink a lot of water through the day and in turn his stools get looser and looser throughout the day. Has anybody else had this issue? I did buy some probiotics today to try.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Has it been hot where you are? Lots of pups (and dogs) really tank up after being active in the heat, and may get loose stools as a result.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
drinking lots of water can be a number of things. The dog food can be to salty, diabetes, moving around and being active, cushings disease, psychogenic polydipsia, Thyroid, etc. I would take your pup to the vet and get a blood test done to rule out any health problems.

My last dobe was like that, always drinking water, had to put out a gallon bucket of water for how much he would drink. I took him to 2 different vets and they did the blood tests and they both came to the conclusion that he just loved drinking water.

Since it wasn't health related I kept his water dish full during the day but I would put it up if he was going to eat and if we were going to be active so that he wouldn't bloat. Because sometimes he would eat his food and then drink lots of water then throw up because he drank to much water. He would sit there for a good minute and drink upwards to 4 cups of water.

So I would go to the vet and rule out anything health related.

·
Censored
716 Posts
Because sometimes he would eat his food and then drink lots of water then throw up because he drank to much water. He would sit there for a good minute and drink upwards to 4 cups of water.
I had a dobe that would do this, his vet referred to it as "tanking" so I had to monitor his water intake unless I wanted to clean up slimy, slippery vomit...

I would definitely have your pup checked. The water intake and diarrhea may actually not be related. Have you ruled out parasites?

I would definitely recommend labwork too, make sure the kidneys are alright, no congenital defects and what not.

As far as the water intake goes, some pups just really seem to love water.

My grandparents had a lab whom they would measure out his daily lot of water. They would change it based on activity and temperature, lol. Otherwise the lab would just drink all day.

Like some people I know, lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts