Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm due to start showing my boy in November and will have time to take 2 handling classes in the interim, so I hope to learn a few things.

I've got most of what I need information-wise and dog wise... now .. for the clothes. I get that we're supposed to wear skirt suits and sketchers, message received. But are there limits to what we can wear?

My dog and I "match". We have roughly the same colouring. I am 5'7 and have red-auburn hair and tan skin. I get the most compliments when wearing jewel tones, notably green and red, which I would like to wear in the ring.

I can only assume these colours would also complement the dog's colouring. But is the object of the outfit, for the handler to fade into the background or to complement the dog? I'm hard to miss on the best of days, I wouldn't want to take attention away from the dog. Is it best to show as a striking pair, or just a striking dog?

·
_______
5,102 Posts
IMO dressing to compliment the dog + something that is comfortable and business office wear is the most important.
Then add on having something w/pockets.

That said I saw a lot of borderline casual almost slug wear at some sweltering summer outdoor shows recently.

I would not want the outfit of the handler to compete w/my dog in a photo. No busy lines or patterns.
The one time I had to take Khaz in I wore solid beige capri pants w/a floral blouse, beige shoes.

Upon my return home my daughter asked wide-eyed "what did you do with my mom?". LOL

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Don't wear something that will hide your dog at all (unless you want to be hiding it!) i.e. don't wear black when showing a black dog.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I personally like to wear a colour that will show off the dog, without being distracting. So I tend to wear light grey, tan, sand, cream colours ect. But I think you should wear what you feel comfortable in, as long as it is smart and doesnt distract from the dog. Lots of people wear red over here (the winning colour)

I've seen some really great outfits, the handler for GCH Jaset's Satisfaction (the black poodle, the handler's name escapes me!) wears some gorgeous brightly coloured outfits, bright blues, yellows ect, but I dont think I'd get away with it! :eek:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I don't show, so I don't have any idea. That being said, the few televised shows I've seen really made it seem like the handlers were real duds. Sorry! I can't see why wearing something nice to compliment the dog WOULD be a bad thing. Thank GOD for those people that have first hand knowledge. GOOD LUCK!!!! :nicejob:

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... the colours would definitely set off the dog, there's no question about that. I was just curious as to whether dressing "brightly" in general is frowned upon. But it sounds like a lot of people can't dress worth a damn anyway. *L*

This is a toned down version of what I'm thinking of.. (my dog is red)
Armani suit:

Sketchers:

What I'm more likely to end up wearing:
dolce capri suit:

sketchers:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have a friend who shows her own Danes. Even though she has more money than God, when we are at a new town, she runs in to Goodwill to shop for show clothes. She keeps everything simple like a sleeveless black dress and light weight jacket or a loose skirt, nice white blouse and jacket. (Her danes are fawn colored so black is ok.) She always looks neat, tidy and professional.

I watched another handler this weekend and even though she's a slight person, she kept her attire simple--loose skirts and a sleeveless top.

Whatever you wear, keep it simple and uncomplicated. If you are hot natured, keep it cool.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have about a billion black suits and shift dresses.. but black seems so blah.. :S

But its good to know I'm not the only person who picks up random items at goodwill or on ebay. ;)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Comfort, coverage and pockets are key to me. I want to be covered and make sure the coverage fits properly. I can't stand short skirts or jackets you see fat rolls thru. Whatever reason I see alot of dog show people wear stuff two sizes too small. And pockets the most important part! Try finding basic skirts in black brown and gray with pockets. Then you can wear any suit jacket you want. Between chalk, bait and your dog your going to get stains so I stay away from light colors and anything too pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I try not to buy anything to expencive either, as I tend to put cheese in the pockets and then forget about it until the next show ;) I have a couple of Ted Baker suits/suit dresses for the more formal shows like champs and Crufts, but for day to day open shows I tend to just wear cheap stuff.

When trying it on you have to bend over in a mirror forward and backwards to make sure you're not giving the judge too much of an eyeful!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I just wanted to add that I love red jackets or skirts on handlers that are showing black dogs! It really does make them pop when presented in front of such a demanding color.

I also wondered if brighter outfits were frowned upon at all. It seems like as long as they are used tastefully, the vivid reds or blues could help bring the judge's eye to you and your dog when lined up with a lot of people in muted colors and neutral tones.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Usually you want to show offy our dog. If your dog has say a bad topline, etc. then you'd want to match your dog and try to hide that particular feature.

I think your red suit is fantastic. I usually wear dark because I'm showing my Vizsla. He stands out better with darker colors. I did ruin one really nice jacket. somehow the bait 'bleached' the pockets :( or faded the color. I know make sure to really dry out my chicken with a few paper towels.

I have a few pics of Marj Brooks with Flirt. She has on pale yellow skirt in one and a rust/red skirt in the other. Flirt stands out nicely with both colors.

mydogphoto.com | Cook PhoDOGraphy | Championship Dog Photography

You can check some of the pics out there. and get an idea of good and bad most likely :)

Reactions: dglvr

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots to look at! Is it just me or are a lot (the majority) of these handlers overweight? It makes it difficult for me to look at what they're wearing, because I wouldn't be caught dead in most of those outfits as they're really not flattering to most of their shapes. :S

·
The Dopie Dobie
1,281 Posts
Make sure you jackets have pockets. Most suit jackets dont have pockets now a days when i show kratos i find it a royal pain when i am showing an my jacket or skirt/ dress etc is pocketless. Complimenting the dog is key while looking professional also if you are plan on wearing jewlery you know the deal nothing that hangs too too much.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts