Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size grit to you get for toenails? I think I saw a 60 and 120. I figure the 60 is better, but want to make sure before I buy.

·
Super Moderator
15,749 Posts
i would buy a "grinding" or "sharpening" bit, the sand paper tubes that slide over the rubber attachment always seem to fly off and wear down quickly. if you have a steady hand you could even use cut-off discs.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
i would buy a "grinding" or "sharpening" bit, the sand paper tubes that slide over the rubber attachment always seem to fly off and wear down quickly. if you have a steady hand you could even use cut-off discs.

You've really got to be careful (more so than usual) about using anything other than the sandpaper when you dremel nails..the grinding stones, etc. tend to heat up too much.

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
I use the course sandpaper bits on Drago's nails. I've never had one fly off. Be sure and tighten it down on the end nut real well. I'm am really careful on Drago's nails and take my time doing each one. My Dremel has 2-speeds 10,000 RPM and 7,500 RPM. I use the lower RPM setting to keep the noise down and prevent me from trimming down the nail too fast and catching his quick.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I use the 60 grit rounds................ need to buy some more too.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Super Moderator
15,749 Posts
You've really got to be careful (more so than usual) about using anything other than the sandpaper when you dremel nails..the grinding stones, etc. tend to heat up too much.
I wouldn't be too worried about the friction; nail tissue is pretty soft, especially near the quick. But you are right, for someone who doesn't use power tools as much as I do it is probably something to be cautious of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts