Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
I would have liked to have seen a more alert, dignified look on the "serious" dog. He looks more pissed than regal. It's a cute cartoon though. The brown dog does indeed look like a doofus!

Reactions: lolonurse

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I love it! Really nice work - and great that you did one with a crop and one with natural ears (though if I have one criticism, it's that you've made the natural eared Dobe look somewhat bashful and cowed).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to get assistance from us.

The black dobe is really cute, though I agree with D&H on needing the more regal look. But again, it is a really cute cartoon.

The red, I'm sorry I don't like at all. The dog looks scared and to me is not recognizable as a dobe. In fact, I covered the screen so only the red dog was visable and had my family come to see if they could tell me what kind of dog it was. None of them could.

I hate to criticize your work, especially since you made the effort to get to know our breed.

Having said that, I do applaude your efforts on trying to capture their spirit. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think there nice. I couldnt have done any better. They could probably use some color in there chest & the red should probably have its head up against the letering aswell. Like he wants a hug. Anyway great job. I like that you did both croped & docked, And all natural.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Don't forget, dobermans have brown ''eyebrows'' over their eyes.

I love all the work you've done, and i love that you incorporated the dobie lean as well as the crossed paws. In fact I saw the crossed paws and giggled madly.

I'm with those who think the doberman should have a more alert regal look than a irritated one. Also, I would concentrate on making the red dobe look as though he is more excited than bashful; I would work to give him more of a smiling face, if that is what you are going for there.

Overall, great job, great attention to us and our details, and thank you so much for incorporating both colours and styles!!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Love it, excellent job, you really listened and took in what we said.

I do agree with my fellow Dt members though, the red guy is scared looking, and that is NOT what a Doberman is. Even when being cute and goofy they are not bashful dogs or scared.

I like the black Doberman, but he does look like something has got to him and he's ticked off. lol, he looks mean instead of watchful.

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
very good !! red dobes rust needs to stand out more and look less scared.. black dobe is great but could look more regal.. but overall fab !!

you will find we are a hard bunch to please LOL !!

·
Banned
7,653 Posts
Your work is fantastic!! And you have so much personality in your style - I love it.

I would agree with the comments above but I think the most critical is the red Dobe's expression.

The lean and the crossed paws are perfect!

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
i agree with the others... i wasn't too impressed with the red dog. His points need to be more tan than beige and he looks frightened, not a doberman trait normally.

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
I guess the red dog's head doesn't really look like a doberman head to me either. It's too rounded. Looks more like a sporting dog (pointer?)
He does need to look happier and less timid. Still is goofy looking though.

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
I agree on what the others say. The lean thing is more of a doofus happy look. They never look afraid. When they are leaning they are happy.

·
joie de vivre
11,198 Posts
It's cute but the red one doesn't look anything like a Doberman. It's markings should be tan or rust (the dog in my avatar pic is a red Doberman and her markings are clearly defined from the rest of her coat and aren't close to beige), and it doesn't have any chest markings. Neither dog has the little tan/rust eyebrows. I really wish the black Dobe didn't look angry; I think that's kind of typical in making them look like an aggressive breed - which they are not. I think the red one should be smiling.

I kind of feel bad "picking it apart" because I appreciate your work but you did ask for our input...

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I love the lean and the crossed paws! I'm so glad you came to us for ideas and opinions for your Doberman cartoon. It's an honor that you considered us enough of an authority on Dobermans to consult us for your work.

I agree about the eyebrows, but everything else I like :)

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Amazing job. I love it! Keeping in mind that these are "cartoons", I think they are fabulous. That said, Dobe owners are rather sensitive as our beloved breed has been assigned a bad rap/rep, which in reality is undeserved. I agree that the Black looks annoyed, irritated, or mean, rather than alert, and the Red looks a bit fearful.

Thank you for taking the time to gather our input.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Amazing job. I love it! Keeping in mind that these are "cartoons", I think they are fabulous. That said, Dobe owners are rather sensitive as our beloved breed has been assigned a bad rap/rep, which in reality is undeserved. I agree that the Black looks annoyed, irritated, or mean, rather than alert, and the Red looks a bit fearful.

Thank you for taking the time to gather our input.
Yes, I agree! Cartoons are caricatures, meaning they exaggerate the actual attributes of the subject. So the elegant, regal, goofy, loving, smart . . . not angry or threatening - that's the movie-type hype that gave these guys the bad rap we want to overcome.

But you did a great job in trying, and your concern is touching. I agree with the comments, both about the attitudes/expressions and the fact that the distinct and breed-required markings are missing, but I do love that you inadvertently got the collar colors for our red and black boys exactly! How neat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts