Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog Master System - The Only Dog Training Method You'll Ever Need!

Has anyone ever used this or know of someone that has used this? There was feedback posted from the owner of Pyrmont dobermans but that is the only reference that I would recommend. It sounds crazy but if it works, it works...Doesn't sound bad, just weird. Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I dont get it lol
You throw something at the dog at the same time as saying what you want it to do????

I know if thats the case Levi would just eat it and then ask for a second helping :p

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Dog Master System - The Only Dog Training Method You'll Ever Need!

Has anyone ever used this or know of someone that has used this? There was feedback posted from the owner of Pyrmont dobermans but that is the only reference that I would recommend. It sounds crazy but if it works, it works...Doesn't sound bad, just weird. Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'm not a fan of any "new fangled system" that requires money to be purchased on gimmicks (in training or any other venue). This one in particular seems silly and pointless to me. There are many great training methods to choose from. I use clicker training myself. Others here use other mainstream methods and get great results.

I also notice this website keeps saying "notice no leash" but you are still relying on a tool, so what's the difference?

and this from the site is simply not true. I've never forced one of my current dogs into position and I train off lead:
Dog "training" has always needed a leash or a choke chain to force even tiny dogs into submission; into position to heel, sit, or lie down. Big dogs were either dragged or dragged their owners. Even when appearing "accomplished" after months of works, both dog and owner were still trapped to that leash and collar, with no training off the leash whatsoever. Dog training offers no knowledge to the owner of the causes (and correction) of the usual problems with all dogs, i.e., excessive barking, biting, digging, destructive chewing, and the most aggravating of all: plain unruly. These problems can be quite expensive.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Extraordimary
4,946 Posts
Pyrmont is from eons ago (80's?) so I'd have to wonder how relevant their recommendation would be now and why they couldn't find any newer ones.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree, no one needs these 'gimicks' to train a dog. Are you trying to solve a problem with a dog, or just looking for an easier way to train?

In addition, I did a quick search since it was mentioned that Pyrmont Dobermans recommended their system. The recommendation was worded strangely to me, and who knows, maybe that kennel really did submit that. However, I did notice a couple of things:

JHMO: I gotta wonder if that testamonial is authentic, I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying that I would want to contact that kennel before I gave it any weight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm really not surprised...

Also, if you do a 'whois' on the domain, it's all very secretive as they use a site (which has tons of rip off complaints) to make themselves invisible. I'm a suspicious person, and I wonder to myself why would a reputable business go to such lengths to hide who they are. I looked up a couple of my favorite shopping places, and their information was listed (not some cloaking company).

JHMO: There's no magic to training a dog, not that I'm saying it's easy, but rather I'm saying no one needs to buy a gimmick to train a dog.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not looking into using the system...I accidentally ran across it when doing some research on Susan Berst and Pyrmont dobermans. It just sounds so weird that I thought I would look and see if anyone actually tried it and what happened when they did. It looks so fancy that I'm sure people spent big bucks on the program. Trying to find those people and hear their experiences. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dog-Master Training System

I have used it several times starting in the 60's when it first came out. I must say the chains they use for the system were much better made in the 60's than they are now. You do not hit the dog with the chain--just throw it at the dog's feet to get their attention. It is really good for getting a dog to come to you EVERY time. Also to throw at a dog if you are walking down the street and it is coming at you--it will stop it in its tracks because it will startle it. I mean a dog meaning to harm you. The chain (it has a ring on it and a tuning fork) is easy to carry.

I only use it to reliably train an animal to come to you every time. Clicker training is not absolutely reliable that way. But other than the coming to you, I use the clicker training for about everything else. Still the Dog-master has its uses. Incidently it used to be known as Hi-Fido and then became Dog-Master.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
LOL!! Dog-Master system huh? It's identical to William Koehler's "throw chain" method of training.

It sure isn't new...and when employed by the master of perfect timing (Bill Koehler) it probably worked fine but for the rest of the world not so much.

Amazing how this stuff continues to resurface under different names.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts