Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Can anyone offer insight on the Doberman Pinscher Club of America?

Thank you,
Kayla

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read a little on their website and believe that they are a good organization. Is it worth joining? What would I be required as a member to do with this organization.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
There are many DPCA members on here. I'm not because I don't have a club close to me. They might be able to provide additional info on chapter club activities.

To become a member you must complete an application, have 2 DPCA members in good standing sponsor your membership and complete their section of your membership application. Then your application must be approved.

More info: http://dpca.org/documents/application-package2.pdf

I have read a little on their website and believe that they are a good organization. Is it worth joining? What would I be required as a member to do with this organization.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
The DPCA is driven by volunteers, there are no paid positions for board spots or the various committees. However, like every other club, a very small percentage of the membership are "worker bees", the rest don't do much with or for the club. It's the choice of each member how much they want to be involved, how much they want to contribute to the club.

I don't think anyone can really answer you as far as whether it's worth joining. Obviously there are a lot of people who did think it was worth it, and a lot of people who don't bother to do so.

If there's a chapter club near you, it might be better to join that first. It would give you an idea of what belonging to a doberman club is like. It also would provide you with an opportunity to get to know some DPCA members personally that might be willing to sponsor you for DPCA membership. Most DPCA members won't sponsor anyone they don't know personally, I sure won't.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
There are many DPCA members on here. I'm not because I don't have a club close to me. They might be able to provide additional info on chapter club activities.
Belonging to a chapter club and being a DPCA member are two different things. You can belong to a chapter club without being a DPCA member. You can be a DPCA member without belonging to a chapter club.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Belonging to a chapter club and being a DPCA member are two different things. You can belong to a chapter club without being a DPCA member. You can be a DPCA member without belonging to a chapter club.
.... But, you can't be an officer in a chapter club without being a DPCA member. I did start out with a chapter club and then joined the DPCA about a year later - after I got to know some local Doberman people.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
.... But, you can't be an officer in a chapter club without being a DPCA member. I did start out with a chapter club and then joined the DPCA about a year later - after I got to know some local Doberman people.
I've never joined a chapter club, almost certainly never will. Maybe if I lived in another area I might, but I just don't like the people in the chapter clubs around here.

Yes, that's true that you can't be an officer in a chapter club if you're not a DPCA member. This is due to some problems that occurred within chapter clubs a few years ago...the people causing the problems weren't DPCA members, so the parent club had no way to control or discipline them.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'm confused. Why are the local DPCA chapter clubs and the national club mutually exclusive?
The chapter clubs operate under the umbrella of the parent club (DPCA), the chapter club itself as an entity is what belongs to the DPCA. This is why each chapter club gets one vote on any issue that goes to the membership.

But belonging to a chapter club doesn't mean you belong to the DPCA. Each of these clubs have their own membership. Sometimes they coincide-some people belong to both the DPCA and a chapter club. But you have to apply to each separately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.