Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email today from the DPCA longevity program regarding our previous Dobe Dante who lived to be 12. This is what it said:

"The DPCA, in a joint effort between the DPCA Service Dog and DPCA Longevity Committees, is in the process of putting together a list of frozen semen available from males who lived/are still living at 10+ years of age, of which your male qualifies. This list will allow breeders to consider using frozen semen from males who have longevity in their genes. If you have frozen semen available from your long lived boy and would like to be included on the list, we'd love to include you! We'd love to be able to include health information on the frozen semen list, so please let us know health stats/results/updates on the following. This information is optional, but disclosure is highly encouraged! Any health information shown was taken from the DPCA Dobequest database (dobequest.org). By providing health information, you agree that this will be made available to the public in whatever means we deem appropriate for the frozen semen list, which could be Dobequest or a separate frozen semen list."

Dante was neutered so of course we don't have any frozen semen but I thought it was interesting. Just wondering if this is a common practice in breeding and has anyone else heard about this?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
A DPCA frozen semen list is a new program, but there have been frozen semen lists around for some time. There's one called puppies on ice, something like that. It's an all breed database, but started by a doberman person.

One factor always prevents these lists from being too useful-a lot of people only collect and store semen for their own use, they don't make it available to outsiders.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
I got one too--on my one and only Doberman (so far anyway) who lived past 10. Although he was a champion and a ROM he was never bred and never collected although I think there might be semen from his litter brother.

In hindsight it was probably too bad we didn't collect him--there's a good bit of longevity (which is one of the reasons this project was started--looking for long lived dogs with longevity behind them) behind him as well as the fact that his pedigree was an old one since his breeder used his father because he was still doing live covers at 9--maybe 10. I think he might have been from the last litter sired by that dog.

I don't breed but I think that's it a worthwhile project for breeders who are looking for longevity as well as conformation, health and proper temperament.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
This is such a fantastic idea! Kudos to the DPCA for getting behind a program that could truly help the breed garner longevity. I did this with my champion male Boston Terrier and his semen is stored with the repro vet.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I just received an email too. Our male was neutered early so can't help the program. I did forward the email to the breeders in case they know of a littermate who might have been collected but not entered in the longevity database.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Way overdue, thanks for sharing.
It always makes me terribly sad to see a patch of long lived dogs, maybe one was used ever- and none of the siblings used or collected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts