Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DPCA Canada’s Z List of Albino / Albino-Factored Doberman Pinschers

Thought this was interesting and helpful for those who don't wish to have the Z in the dog they are planning on buying or breeding to. It is nice to see Canadians keeping abreast of this issue as well. Please note it is still not completed.

Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada Inc.
Canada’s Z List of Albino / Albino-Factored Doberman Pinschers

http://www.dpcc.ca/dpcc-zlist.htm

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thanx for the list. Java was sired by a Canadian Dobe, the dam was AKC registered, so it's good to be able to double-check on health history.

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
waiting said:
I've been working on the list for a few months now and my "baby" was born onto the DPCC website yesterday, although DPCC members have had access to it for about a month now elsewhere.

The *amazing* thing about that list of more than 500 albino factored dogs is that they come from just 3 dogs. Mostly from just 2 dogs - an albino male brought to Canada in the late 80's, one black z factored bitch imported in 1990. Later, another another black z factored bitch was imported in 2004 and has been bred a couple of times.

However, I guess that shouldn't be so surprising considering that the entire albino problem generates from one bitch born in 1976.

Nevertheless, it blew my mind at how it snowballs when intact dogs land in the wrong hands.

As the original poster said, the list is not complete, I don't think. I am still pouring over the studbooks 1985-2005, doing database searches, putting things together. I'm not done, but I felt the information that we have should be out there asap.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Wow, Mary, you've certainly been busy! 500 dogs from 3? That is astounding! It really does illustrate how important spaying and neutering is. That whole "just one litter" argument is completely blown out of the water when you think that just 3 dogs produced 500 in such a short period of time. Imagine what an entire litter could do!

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
This was a big job! I do hope the the CKC will do something like the AKC and allow you to mark their registration number in the future some way so that you can tell that they may carry the albino gene.

Kudo's to you Mary!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I think another good aspect to this list, is the fact that it identifies the breeder responsible for producing the Z factored dogs. I noticed that for the most part, when it shows a breeder, it shows them responsible for several dogs, more then just a litter or two that is. Like Tracy said, it shows how much of a negative impact it has when there is no descrimination to breeding and producing. For example Truslove was responsible for about 75 Z-factored dogs from 93-96. Some may say, so what only 25 dogs a year, but really flooding the market figuratively speaking with viable breeding animals that are damaging to our breed.

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
I appreciate that some are looking at the list even though they may not really have a need to.

For the record, Elaine Truslove was eventually kicked out of the CdnKC, I believe. So was Rhonda Sule. However, it had nothing to do with the albino situation. As I recall, it was registration matters. I hear that beat goes on with Rhonda Sule - she is still breeding and it seems she just has someone else now registering her puppies.

Also, Lexus, you brought up a point about 25 puppies a year. The thing there is that the Z list only includes the Z factored dogs they produced. It does not include the many other litters they were producing at the same time.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
I appreciate that some are looking at the list even though they may not really have a need to.

Also, Lexus, you brought up a point about 25 puppies a year. The thing there is that the Z list only includes the Z factored dogs they produced. It does not include the many other litters they were producing at the same time.
We appreciate the work that goes into the research and documentation and creation of such a list :)

As for the second part..... *gulp* what a lovely thought that is..... and if such breeders don't descriminate against breeding and producing dogs carrying the albino gene, I can just assume all the rest of their breeding animals are just as much of a benifit to the gene pool as well *rolls eyes*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts