Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Zuko's Mom
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :) not sure if you remember me but i've been a member of this board for a while - i was interested in getting a dobe around the summer of this past year but decided to wait because it just wasn't the right time (i got married in july and we moved in together, and got two kittens) Well now the time has come and i can now say it is the right time for me and my small family to finally add a doberman to our lives. I watched for the dobermans at Westminster on TV and saw Fifi - wow! Stunning!

Anyways....based on my location, I have my search narrowed down to 3 breeders. (if you'd like to know, they are Bruda, Smack Dab and Old Drum). I'm looking for a red male as a companion but perhaps some obedience/agility work down the road.

I have been playing phone tag with Kathy of Smack Dab so i do not know her litter plans for the year. Bruda just had a litter but has said she has no current plans for the rest of the year. Ali from Old Drum just had a litter recently an i am not sure of her plans.

Now my question is this - should I wait for these breeders to make breeding plans, or should I go to another reputable breeder who already knows their plans for the year? Or do breeders even think ahead this early? Let me know.

Also, If any of you are particularly close to any of these breeders (or are the breeders themselves), feel free to let me know if you have any inside input ;) thanks!

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
Those are all 3 good breeders IMO.

I have 2 girls from Old Drum and I couldn't be happier with them. Ali is great to deal with, friendly, always helpful and honest, very supportive, and I personally love her dogs. I'm happy to answer questions from a puppy buyer perspective. There are a few other members on the forum with Old Drum Dobes as well, and Ali is a member here herself (DT name OldDrumDobes).

I don't remember if anyone on the forum has a Smack Dab Dobe but I know there are members here as well that have Bruda Dobes. Hopefully they'll chime in, too.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My answer is it depends on how bad you think you might want to do agility/obedience. If it really is a goal, I'd get a dog from a litter with a history success in those venues in the pedigree.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have 2 dobermans. Atlas & Tamora. Atlas is out of Old Drum`s Atlantis (dam of Nova, who just had puppies). And Atlas is a sister to Old Drum`s Nova who just had puppies as well.

Atlas has just started his agility career (has several legs in novice and is competing this weekend).
He will also compete in Obedience this year as well and I feel he will be a good obedience dog as well (plus he is still intact and very easy to live with). He is a great dog and I get a lot of compliments on his looks, as well as his personality. We are in love with him.

Tamora is an Olympia Promise bitch , but she shares the same sire as OldDrum`s Nova who just had puppies . Tamora has her CDX and her Mach 1 and is one Double Q away from her Mach 2. Tamora will be trying to get her UD this year as well.

Tamora I get a lot of compliments on as well. Great working dog. We love her as well.

I can personally vouch for OLd Drum. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi all :) not sure if you remember me but i've been a member of this board for a while - i was interested in getting a dobe around the summer of this past year but decided to wait because it just wasn't the right time (i got married in july and we moved in together, and got two kittens) Well now the time has come and i can now say it is the right time for me and my small family to finally add a doberman to our lives. I watched for the dobermans at Westminster on TV and saw Fifi - wow! Stunning!

Anyways....based on my location, I have my search narrowed down to 3 breeders. (if you'd like to know, they are Bruda, Smack Dab and Old Drum). I'm looking for a red male as a companion but perhaps some obedience/agility work down the road.

I have been playing phone tag with Kathy of Smack Dab so i do not know her litter plans for the year. Bruda just had a litter but has said she has no current plans for the rest of the year. Ali from Old Drum just had a litter recently an i am not sure of her plans.

Now my question is this - should I wait for these breeders to make breeding plans, or should I go to another reputable breeder who already knows their plans for the year? Or do breeders even think ahead this early? Let me know.

Also, If any of you are particularly close to any of these breeders (or are the breeders themselves), feel free to let me know if you have any inside input ;) thanks!
I know Kathy just did a breeding at the end of January

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
My Parker is a relative of Nova, who just had puppies.
Nova's sire is my boy's grandsire on his moma's side.:)

Just so you can see how handsome the family is.:)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My girl is also a half sister to Nova, Atlas, Tali, and Fiona (all through their sire), and I couldn't be happier with her. I have heard wonderful things about Nova, Sterling, and Ali, but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any of them in person.

I don't know too many details about Smack-Dab or Bruda, but as far as word of mouth reviews go, all three breeders are great. You might want to PM Sizzledog if you have any questions about Bruda dobes as she has owned many and is very close with that breeder.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I can't say enough nice things about Old Drum... her dogs are just lovely. I'm hoping to get one of hers for myself when my husband gets out of the Marine Corp in ~3 years.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
My Parker is a relative of Nova, who just had puppies.
Nova's sire is my boy's grandsire on his moma's side.:)

Just so you can see how handsome the family is.:)
Er, all I know is how handsome Parker is from the side. (I want more Parker photos! :nicejob:)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I know a couple who have 2 Smack - Dab dogs that they got for Agility. Both will get Machs. They say that Kathy is very good to deal with.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
My girl is also a half sister to Nova, Atlas, Tali, and Fiona (all through their sire), and I couldn't be happier with her. I have heard wonderful things about Nova, Sterling, and Ali, but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any of them in person.

I don't know too many details about Smack-Dab or Bruda, but as far as word of mouth reviews go, all three breeders are great. You might want to PM Sizzledog if you have any questions about Bruda dobes as she has owned many and is very close with that breeder.
LOL Jackie and I have already chatted. :)

IMO all three are breeders that you wouldn't be disappointed with. Obviously I have Bruda dogs (always have) and have been extremely happy with them. I think, at least with Bruda, you don't see many performance titles because people don't seem to go to her for performance dogs... though the few that have gotten dogs from her for performance have done quite well with them. I know ours are just starting out, but so far show a lot of promise... Rocket in obedience/rally/agility/tracking/freestyle, Kaylee in obedience/rally, and Jayne in schutzhund. I may be completely wrong, but I think Vic Monteleon once said that a lot of the time, a breeder becomes well known in performance circles due to a few of their dogs being trained and titled by a few very gifted trainers - then, all of a sudden, they are the premier breeder for [insert sport here] - and it snowballs from there.

I do think you need to meet dogs from each breeder though, before you make a decision. The offer still stands, if you want to meet several Bruda dobes feel free to come down and watch us train, and talk to us. Our next Schutzhund training day is the 28th down in the Des Moines area (Adel), and we train (Obedience) several nights a week in Des Moines. We also may be up in W'loo for an obedience trial this spring. ;)

On a side note... if anyone is looking for a NATURAL EARED red male from Champion parents, there is a puppy from the last litter at Bruda that couldn't be cropped due to an ear injury when he was a wee baby.

Reactions: dapple

·
Registered
551 Posts
Something else you may want to consider is who breeds dogs that are aesthetically pleasing to you. I always thought all Dobermans looked the same until I started learning about them. Even dogs that are well within the standard can have very different looks from one another, and crops also vary greatly. There are a few reputable breeders, well one in particular, that I have found from doing research on this forum that are very ethical and I would highly recommend them based on everything I know- but I'm not crazy about the look of their dogs, or the crops that their particular vet does. Look at breeders websites, and really look at their dogs, stacked or just random photos, and see if there are any that jump out at you.

You have 3 ethical breeders to choose from so far. Keep us posted and good luck!

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
Just wanted to add that I'm also training with Fiona and Tali in obedience/rally and agility. Tali is doing very well in obedience and loves it, she has lots of fun with agility but it's not her favorite. I swear Fiona was born for agility. She's doing well in our obedience too, but she prefers agility.

I had hoped to start competing last fall but I'm a full-time grad student and I work full-time so right now it's all I can do just to keep up with their training on top of school and work. I'm hopeful that my schedule will relax some this summer so we can start entering in trials. The girls are ready, I just need the free time to do it! :)

Reactions: LindaH
1 - 13 of 13 Posts