Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I told myself this as I was driving my boy to the vets at breakneck speed because I thought he had an obstruction.

It started, well I guess the day before yesterday. At tea time. Toby had his usual bowl of raw meat and bones and was tucking into it like there was no tomorrow. Trouble is, he tucks into it a bit too quickly, as in, he doesnt chew his food, instead he bites off chunks of bone and swallows them down not the best of moves. Then yesterday morning I found a pile of sick, actually it was regurgitated meat and bones, whole chunks, not chewed, not even dented. Hmmmm, mental note I said to myself, must ask guys on forum how to deal with this, perhaps I should change the way I feed him, maybe I should mince the whole lot bones and all so it is a paste rather than lumps. But then this wouldnt be so good for his teeth would it. Hmmm, defo need to think this through a bit better. Then I noticed another pile and another and another. Surely he didnt just swallow it all in huge lumps. As the day wore on he kept on eating grass and throwing up whilst in between times he was laid in his bed not looking a happy Dobe what-so-ever. Eventually he was just bringing up bile, I called my vet and he said keep an eye on him and bring him down if you get worried. I was already worried, but felt reassured that now his tummy was empty there was nothing really to worry about. Then he started to bring up horrid brown bile, the kind that looks as if it is mixed with old blood.

PANIC! his tummy must be blocked up.

So off I drove, hubby hanging on for grim death in the passenger seat beside me, Toby laid out on the seat in the back.

The vet was brilliant, I was rushed in, he immediately stuffed a thing up his bum, which he didnt much like but bore like a trooper then listened to Toby's tummy, he said there were sounds coming from inside but he would like to take an x-ray and maybe do an ultrasound in case the bone or whatever it was didnt show up on it. So in we toddled to the x-ray machine, Toby smiled for each and every photo but was very disappointed when he realised the vet had only captured his tummy area.
Nothing. No blockage, not that could be seen but he was not a happy boy so the vet gave him a pain killing jab, a stomach protecting jab, and some anti-acid medicine and another appointment for today.

During all of this the vet asked me what Toby might have eaten, a sock, a piece of ball, a bone. I told him he now eats raw meat and bones and how I found the pieces of his dinner unchewed but definitely stomached on the ground outside.

Upshot is. Toby is banned from bones he can eat raw meat, but not bones. Gutted or what, especially seeing as I just bought in 20 whole chickens, 3 whole Turkeys and several big beef bones, a sheeps head and have on order a goat all of which come complete with bones. Guess I am gonna have to sharpen my knives and get dissecting huh.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well at least they didnt need to do surgery to get an obstruction out! It sucks that you'll have to cut up all that meat you just ordered!!!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Toby has medicine which he must take for the next 3 days after which we have to go in for another appointment for another check up. The vet reiterated he must not have bones anymore as he is convinced because Toby doesnt chew his food properly they are causing him problems.

Toby is now on tinned dog food with biscuits soaked in gravy until further notice, as the vet wants him on ultra soft food so he doesnt overtax his stomach. Toby has registered his disapproval with the new diet as he really loved his raw meat and bones, it was if he thought, 'I am a big dog now, eating big dog food, yay.' But needs must.

I honestly thought that once we had gotten over the initial, 'eugh it's raw mum' phase there would be no problems, my friends dogs thrive on raw meat and bones, she credits it with keeping her old boy alive (he is a Boxer and has severe heart problems) but no, Toby had to be an awkward Dobe and go and get a sore tummy and now we are in the fix of having to feed him soft baby food again and boy is he letting me know he doesn't like it. HO HUM.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Toby is a lucky boy- he has a momma that's on the look out for his well being :) Glad he is okay!

Callie is fed half raw and has upchucked her unchewed dinner before- I think she hit her gag reflex... whatever it was, it was gross haha. So I buy minced whole rabbit/chicken/whatever now. The pieces are all so teeny that theres no way she could hurt herself, but she still gets all the good nutrients from the raw.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Aww poor Toby, not getting to eat all those 'yummy' things you bought for him! And poor you with such a panic :eek: Hope your gang are all doing well!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I am glad to hear Toby is fine and hope he is feeling better soon. I am not sure how long you have had him on raw. In the begining all my dogs threw up but definately not to the extent you explained Toby did. Some of it was the transition, some b/c I was over feeding and some b/c I started with too much too soon. Did you start with one protien and stick with it for awhile? Then slowly add a small amount of a new protien up'ing the amount until the meal is all the new protien?

None of my dogs chew their meat. It is more of a slice and swallow; moving it down their throat. Cujo & Kyrah were gulpers in the begining. So I fed their meal frozen or partially frozen. They have slowed down and Tippy finally eats faster. The terriers mostly will regurgitate b/c they try to swallow a hunk that is too big. Kyrah more than the terriers will throw up bone fragments that are not digested. If she gets too excited right after eating she will puke it up and normally eats it again.

Their teeth slicing thru the meat is what cleans their teeth not necessarily the bone. Bone in meat is a more complex meal and causes more slicing into the meat.

Hope he feels better soon and you could figure out what happened. My dogs also thrive on raw. I am in the closing stages of convincing my daughter to feed Dexter raw. Free food should do it! You think? LOL

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Flirt has literally been given the heimlich 4 times. once on cooked chicken, the rest on bones. She only gets ground meals that have bone or cut up meat now period.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I very glad Toby, is recovering nicely...terrifying few days, and the big boy, sure gave the family a scare.
- just because he likes to eat like a little piggy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts