Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am fairly religious about locking my gate to my back yard for obvious reasons.
Now, I have my ritual with exiting my shed with my Motorcycle as I will open the gate, park it on the road, fire it up, do my safety checks, load saddlebags if need be. etc... Then I return and close up the shed, and lock the gate. zoom zoom....

Well yesterday, Im at my bike, which is parked in front of the neighbours because my SUV is park in front of my house. I watch as a Bell Canada van pulls up , and two yoyo's exit with clipboards. They look at the far neighbours house , then walk by my house and proceed to walk through my open gate and enter into my backyard. By this time I am walking behind them ask, if I could help them. They go on about, having to check a terminal on the lines, so I snap on them because, One I have no business dealings with Bell Canada and they have no authority, to enter freely onto my property.
I point out they walked by 2 Beware of Dog signs.
What disturbs me the most, is the worst case scenario.
If they had enuf nerve to do this, would they possibly have cleared the fence and still entered. If Myself and Nubis were in the far backyard, and he seen 2 unknown men entering the yard, what would have been the outcome.
If he snapped at them or worse bit one of them, My dog would be classified vicious and quarantined, the next 14 days because of someones stupidity and no respect for my property.
I verbally filed a complaint with Bell Executive and I am not finished with them yet.
I know it is far fetched, that they would have climbed over my fence, but who knows.

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
File a complaint with the police.
Trespass is trespass and I wouldn't end it with a verbal complaint.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have kept both of my gates padlocked since the phone co. left it open and 1 of mine trotted down to the park and a neighbor saw him and brought him home. The other 2 girls never got off the bed.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their lame excuse, was they were checking terminals to see if they needed to be repaired. When I told them, I do not even subscribe to any Bell Services, all that I got was a deer in the headlight look. When i got Nubis,I let any utilities i deal with know , I have a dog. So, this came as quite the surprise.
I want a formal apology and nothing short of it.
When I first called, their front line CSR, told me to email it to them. I told him, I wanted a real person to take my complaint and failing that, I will simply go out back and cut their lines. I was transferred to Executive pretty quick then.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
File a complaint with the police.
Trespass is trespass and I wouldn't end it with a verbal complaint.
Thanks,,, DOH,, I felt it would be futile as they would shrug it off. On the other hand, Nubis'sMom has 2 Local Liason Officers, she deals with several times a week.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have kept both of my gates padlocked since the phone co. left it open and 1 of mine trotted down to the park and a neighbor saw him and brought him home. The other 2 girls never got off the bed.
When I had my first dobe, I had contractors working on another house replacing the siding. The deal was, the gate was to be kept locked and they could work away. My Ex was suppose to check to ensure, the gate was locked, even if they were not in the yard. Well, the Ex, lazily looked out the window and saw no contractors in the yard and let him out. The next thing, I get a call at work, that Kaiser is running the streets. Once i got home and got him, I flipped all over them and threw all of their stuff out of my yard.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Whatever phone service you use, it is entirely possible that Bell Canada has ownership and responsibility to maintain the lines themselves... it's not like each company which offers telephone service strings their own lines. I am sure that they also have rights to access their equipment, even if it means entering your property... this is the way public utilities work... utilities have easments which grant them partial use of your property.

If you want to do something about this, I would suggest you contact Bell Canada and ask if it is possible for you to be notified in advance if they will need to come into your yard, so that you can make sure that your dog is in, etc. That, and put locks on your gates so that they cannot be left open.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,,, I didnt know that they could go free willy and enter onto your property, without approval. I dont have Home Phone Service, tv or internet, as it is all provided wirelessly and Digital Antenna. I will still look into it though.

This is a good example, that I dont have kids, as I am overeacting because the only time that gate is open is when I move my bike.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
Well, I don't have the phone company waltzing into my yard, but I will tell you that NOTHING gets you out of bed like realizing that the dog barking on your front porch is your five month old puppy, who should be securely confined to your padlocked back yard. Darn kid next door ran his bike into out gate yesterday, and evidently knocked it out of line, and then my son (I assume, because he's done it before) pulled the anchor pin out, and there was just enough of a gap between the gate halves for Lucky and Leo to squeeze through this morning.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks,,, I didnt know that they could go free willy and enter onto your property, without approval. I dont have Home Phone Service, tv or internet, as it is all provided wirelessly and Digital Antenna. I will still look into it though.
However you receive services, some folks on both sides of you undoubtedly get their phone or cable through lines which cross your property. If equipment on your property fails, those folks will have no service. It's the same as electric lines... if a line is damaged or taken down, everyone between one point and another loses service... electric company people may go wherever they need to to make repairs.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Would it help to have a No trespassing sign up ? Oh if it ever did go south on you, You can board you dog at a vets instead of the pound much safer for your dog. They cannot say oh sorry put your dog down by mistake.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I obviously do not know the law in the US or Canada, but right of easement in the case of utilities is standard in Europe, however, if a gate is closed they are obliged to ask for permission to enter. They cannot simply open up the gate and walk in even if you have a manhole cover for the local sewers in your yard. Permission must always be sought, if refused then in the UK they can go to the magistrates and be granted a warrant for easement.
Now if your gate was left open even just for a couple of minutes whilst you are putting your bike round the front of the house or whatever then you are in effect inviting anyone to enter your property with no comeback on them if they do. It doesnt matter if you have signs saying, 'dog inside' or 'no entry'. You are in effect inviting them in because at that moment in time there is no physical barrier to prevent them from entering your property. There is a saying in the UK 'When is a door not a door, when it is ajar. Simple but effective in description. A gate is not a gate when left open.
If your gate is shut, if your gate is locked with a hasp and bolt for instance and they reach over or through the hand hole to unlock it then this is trespass. However, you need to check how your area defines trespass. In the UK there is technically no such thing as trespass although for centuries it has been considered there has. What happens usually when a person who has entered your property without permisson ie, opened up the gate to your field of wheat and walked through it is, damage. Damage to the crops, or for allowing livestock to wander from the confines of the field. The walking across the field whilst bad manners is not a crime, but the damage one does in doing so is.
If these 2 men had climbed your fence even if they had right of easement you could try to have them prosecuted either via the police or by yourself for breaking and entering. Now admittedly they didnt break anything, but the terminology is used to describe the fact that they have entered your property via an unrecognised means.

In all you were lucky, lucky nothing happened, because if your gate was open and they wandered in and Nubis had said something about it, it would be your fault and your dog could end up paying for a momentary lapse in sound judgement.
Keep the gate locked, even if you are going back and forth through it, this way when workmen come round again they cannot say, 'the gate was open,' etc which by law you wont have a leg to stand on with regards to complaining about it. Well not in the UK you wouldnt. Not even here in Spain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts