Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get a Doberman puppy from a breeder in europe, he will be cropped and docked however in the UK the procedure can't be done. I'm wondering if there are any Doberman owners in the UK, preferably England or London that have Dobies with cropped ears and whether they get any nasty/rude comments from people who may have strong opinions on cropping or docking. This is a genuine concern for me because I'm a very non confrontational person :( , but my dog will be from working lines/and from an individual who works with protection dogs.
Could I please get some advice/commentary from people who own cropped and docked dogs over here?

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Me too, and I've been getting them since 1959 when I got my first Doberman. In a short period of time I learned one phrase in Spanish--"No hablo Englise." Which I used extensively when people, total strangers decided I should be repremanded for cropping my dogs ears. My SO at the time learned to say that I didn't speak Spanish and that my dog came that way.

dobebug

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
People have an opinion about anything, even if they don't know what they are talking about.
I have a breed (Chinese Crested) that requires taping the ear as puppies to give strength so they can stand. We do not crop the ears. It is unbelievable the comments I get how cruel to cut a tiny pups ears.

On the other hand I have had people comment on my Dobermans that have cropped ears, with comments like, I am so glad you didn't crop his/her ears!

·
Big Lil pup
6,118 Posts
Hi tt! And welcome from the Pacific NW.

I have occasionally received comments about a Dobe pup's ears when in posts.

The have ranged from a misconception: "Oh... Poor puppy. What happened to him?"
Genuine interest: "Why do they cut off a Doberman's ears?" "Does it hurt?"
Or pure rancor: "How could you do that to a poor puppy!" "It's so cruel!"

My answer depends on the comment.
- I may explain the reason's behind cropping/docking
- I may smile and make a cursory comment such as: "No. He is not in pain at all.His ears are just taped to train them to stand up".
- In response to a rude aggressive comment? Here is a comment of mine that is a repost from several years ago based on a funny/stupid interaction from over a decade ago:

"So.... I will tell my favorite "ignorant" commenter ear crop story one more time. Quite a few years ago my son got his first Doberman. In fact dobebug helped him with a hands on lesson on posting as I was not really up on the most current methods.

In any case, I was dog less at the time so the pup spent most days with me while my son and (now) daughter in law worked.

When I walked him, in tape and posts, there was a young woman who would bicycle around me for quite a distance making comments that I really couldn't make out, but I could tell she was mad at me. One afternoon, I had had enough. She was about a block away directing her comments at me so I waved her over and asked her what her issue was with me.

She said:"You mutilated that puppy, someone should have done that to you". Quick of tongue, I responded with "They did.... When I was a baby. Here, I'll show you" I proceeded to pretend to unbuckle my jeans like I was going to drop my pants. (Get it?) That girl took off, and never bothered me again.

Of course it was all in jest on my part, but she didn't know that.

Generally, If someone is not abusive, I am more than happy to converse with them about the history, practice and merits of ear cropping. In general, people are fairly receptive.
If not.... Oh well"

The one thing I never do is to engage in an argument. It is simply not worth it

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I do not know where you are getting your puppy, but if you are getting from Serbia and transported through France, you need to be careful. I have seen reports within the past 2 weeks of two different shipments of Doberman puppies that were stopped and seized in France for not meeting the import rules or having falsified paperwork. Since Serbia is not in the EU, the puppies are supposed to be rabies vaccinated and titer tested before entering any EU country. That means they must be at least 7 months old.

Just thought you should know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts