Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if any of you put anything in your car for your dog when they come with you (bed, blanket, towel, something made for dogs and cars etc) I have a small car so I can't put a crate in there not that he'd like it considering he HATES his crate with a passion. I ask because I've noticed that Diesel likes when he has something with him as opposed to just being in the backseat. I almost bought a crate bed thing at the store today but I wanted to see if anyone else keeps anything in their car that might be better. I usually bring Diesels blanket with him but that's starting to get annoying considering it's a huge blanket haha

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

·
Got mutt?
13,826 Posts
I just toss them in the back seat, and strap them in with a harness. I used to also use a blanket for Lucky, but he got tangled up in it one time, and chewed through the seatbelt in his efforts to escape. Do you know what it costs to replace a seatbelt? About $300 more than the leash he could have chewed up, instead.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mabel has a fleece runner (60x10) or something, idk it folds in half and fits in the back seat for winter and then a cooler mat style for summer since I currently have black leather.

She also requires an empty backseat or she can't lay "right" :rolleyesww: she has a smoked hip bone she chews too.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just toss them in the back seat, and strap them in with a harness. I used to also use a blanket for Lucky, but he got tangled up in it one time, and chewed through the seatbelt in his efforts to escape. Do you know what it costs to replace a seatbelt? About $300 more than the leash he could have chewed up, instead.
Oh wow! Luckily Diesel usually just throws his blanket on the floor and then gets pissd cause he wants it back but is afraid to move and get it haha

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mabel has a fleece runner (60x10) or something, idk it folds in half and fits in the back seat for winter and then a cooler mat style for summer since I currently have black leather.

She also requires an empty backseat or she can't lay "right" :rolleyesww: she has a smoked hip bone she chews too.
Where did you get it from? I have black leather too so I think that's the other problem is its hot when he gets in.

Well I wouldn't expect any less of her haha Diesel might not like the backseat cause he doesn't get the whole seat. I have a carseat in the back for the kids I watch that I refuse to take out cause its a pain to put back in and he's in my car every day.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you put the seats down in your little car? so like, you can get in the trunk? Maybe that would help. Juno likes when the seats are down flat in my hatch back.
Like that back seats? They go down but they lead to the trunk. I'd be scared if he got into the trunk. That would give him better traction though since the backs aren't leather on those seats. I just worry about access to the trunk.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Where did you get it from? I have black leather too so I think that's the other problem is its hot when he gets in.

Well I wouldn't expect any less of her haha Diesel might not like the backseat cause he doesn't get the whole seat. I have a carseat in the back for the kids I watch that I refuse to take out cause its a pain to put back in and he's in my car every day.
The runner or the mat thing? or both lol

I got them cheap at a local show vendor but could probly dig one up for ya online of either kind :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Yea, the runner is like a long blanket with a coated backing and fleece on the other side, and the mat is like a nice blanket type thing that keeps them cool instead of trapping heat like fleece, it helps nicely

·
Got mutt?
13,826 Posts
My husband's car has leather seats, and Ilka doesn't like them, because she slides around on them. Maybe a fitted, fabric seat cover that would give Diesel more traction might help?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, the runner is like a long blanket with a coated backing and fleece on the other side, and the mat is like a nice blanket type thing that keeps them cool instead of trapping heat like fleece, it helps nicely
Just more stuff I have to buy lol

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My husband's car has leather seats, and Ilka doesn't like them, because she slides around on them. Maybe a fitted, fabric seat cover that would give Diesel more traction might help?
That's a good idea! I never thought of just getting covers for the seats. Diesel doesn't like the sliding around either which I think is why he gets nervous.

Thank you!

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts

Oh, believe me, I know! :p Delta chomped two seatbelts into pieces in her anti-harness fit...

And you know what the Haynes manual does NOT have in it? How to safely disable the collision system so you don't accidentally set off the explosive bolts in the pretensioner... had to take it down to the $tealership for that one. :/

Kwhite, if you can squeeze a crate into the car, that's really the safest. I try to always use a crate when we travel long distances, if at all possible.

For around town I throw an old blanket, bedsheet or two towels across the back seat. Sometimes I throw a chewy back here, but usually she's not interested. She does need over half the back seat, or she can't lay down.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy has an old sleeping bag or thick blanket, that stays in the back seat of my wifes Volvo wagon.
- Amy won't stay in the cargo area (aka trunk...LOL) unless we have extended family in her seat
A suffy, bone, tennis ball is about it...back there / but now to old to worry much, about this stuff.
- she just delighted to be included, in our family drives

In my truck, I just keep a thinner blanket on the front seat, so if she has any mud on her paws...it minimizes the dirt left behind.
- in the pickup, she stretches out on the narrow bench seat & no longer needs toys back there
- I will coax her into the front sometimes, for belly rubs / she don't need much stuff...just happy to be included

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, believe me, I know! :p Delta chomped two seatbelts into pieces in her anti-harness fit...

And you know what the Haynes manual does NOT have in it? How to safely disable the collision system so you don't accidentally set off the explosive bolts in the pretensioner... had to take it down to the $tealership for that one. :/

Kwhite, if you can squeeze a crate into the car, that's really the safest. I try to always use a crate when we travel long distances, if at all possible.

For around town I throw an old blanket, bedsheet or two towels across the back seat. Sometimes I throw a chewy back here, but usually she's not interested. She does need over half the back seat, or she can't lay down.
I'd love to fit a crate in there but I drive a mercury Milan (looks just like the ford fusion) and I don't think a crate would fit back there that would be big enough for him :(

Diesel isn't interested in anything I give him either.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts