Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a few insurnace offers online for my dog.

I just wanted advice on which one you use?

I've seen one under petfinder.com. Has anyone had any experience with this one? Its 14.95 a month. Has anyone been reimbursed by them?

Thanks for any advice.

I have a doberman that is 4 and he has limes disease :( Hes doing great after his antibiotics :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
There are a few good threads on this. You can use the search button at the top and most should come up. I use Pets Best 2nd level plan. I pay $45ish a month. My deductible is $250 and they cover up to $7,000 per incident. They've been WONDERFUL. So far I have not had a claim denied.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
PurinaCare $500 ded. Then they cover 80% Covers up to $20,000 per year No lifetime max. Got it when they were 15 weeks old. $33 mo. ea It will go up when they turn 5 yrs old
After sending in bills and records. Received check 7-10 days later

No problems with them

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn is insured with Trupanion. I haven't had to use it yet but I've heard good things about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Henry has Trupanion. I did a lot of research and found it was the best for me. It will cover any diagnosis of illness or accident after you have the insurance. I even have an extra plan that will cover any travel costs for me if Henry is injured and I'm away or any expense that would occur if he were ever lost. Henry has had it since he was a baby, so it will cover anything he may develop now. Unfortunately for your fella, i think the Lyme's would already be considered a preexisting condition. You could check their website or call them though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Another for Trupanion. Awesome to work with, they covered our middle of the night trip to the ER for xrays (had a tumble down the stairs) without a problem. We got a check in the mail about 2 weeks after. They cover 90% of the bill after your deductible, and it is SO worth it! They cover herditary and congenital issues, which was huge for me with the health problems Dobermans can run into. Also, they have no payout limits ever which is nice. We have a $500 deductible and its $40/mo. Its entirely customizable though, with deductibles anywhere between $0 - $1000.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Purchased Pet Insurance for that possible catastrophic event

EMBRACE Pet Insurance- $1000 Deductible - 10% Co-Pay with their Wellness Rewards Program.

Insurance Policy Expense = Paid Annual $302.69 or $25.22 per month

However, purchased the Wellness Rewards Program @ $299.00 and had $400 reimbursed for “Welness Expenses’ which I’m going to spend anyway, reducing overall pet insurance expense to $201.09 or $16.81/month.

Do the search, I know I’ve made some different arguments on pet insurance, especially the Co-Pays vs. Monthly Premiums. All depends on what you are truly looking for in Pet Insurance. Personally, I just want to be protected from that $3000+ obstruction surgery or multiple events in the same year in excess of $1000.

i.e. $3,000 Surgery will end up costing me $1,300 out of pocket ($1,000 Annual Deductible + 10% Co-Pay). Add in the annual premium of 202 I end up paying $1,502 for the year or 126.00 per month.

Now take the person who has a $500 deductible and an 20% Co-Pay, paying 40.00/month ($480 Annual)

Same $3000 surgery ends up costing them $1,100 out of pocket ($500 Annual Deductible + 20% Co-Pay). Add in the annual expense of that policy (480.00 @ $40.00 per month) and they’ll pay $1,580 or $132 per month.

Knowing that insurance companies are in business because a majority of insurance policies are never utilized, and we both don’t have an ‘EVENT’ to file, I have an extra $271 in my pocket every year.

With that said, even if the procedure is lower cost i.e. $1000… I’m paying $1,309 and their only paying $1180 ‘saving’ them $129… However, if they go just one year without a claim then my savings of $271 a year saves me more money of the life of the insurance policy.

My girl is 20 months… haven’t had a claim (knock on wood), hope I never have a claim. For <$17 a month, provides piece of mind that I’ll easily be able to handle the expenses of a procedure if she needs one.

PS- Forced me to look at my policy... $10,000 Annual, $50,000 Lifetime.

PSS- It will also be interesting to see how much my premiums increase year over year as she ages. Currently Embrace says increases of 8-10% per year for dogs over 5 years of age. Her first policy to the second policy increased 2% which I'm assuming is based on inflation of veterinary care.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm a Trupanion girl - just sent in my first claims this week and so far their communication has been phenomenal. E-mailed me the day I sent it in with a claim number and then the following day saying they were working on the claim. I get 90% reimbursement and elected for the $0 deductible, and got the hip displasia additional option and pay $60/month.

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
Trupanion here as well. Had a few claims in Dec 2010 and had no issues.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have pets best. Pay about $43 a month. Cover 80% and a 200 dollar deductible

1 - 11 of 11 Posts