Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have been on the search for a breeder in the (Southern) Ontario, CA area and ran across puppies from Dogghouse Dobermans. I happen to run across this on Kijiji, so I'm sure a lot of you will have a lot to say about that, but if you've heard of this breeder, could you please let me know of your experience?
Thank you, (and yes am still looking)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would pass on anyone advertising on Kijiji.

Do you know what to look for in a reputable breeder?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I have no personal experience with this breeder. However.....

[QUOTE="Breeder Statement on webpage and Facebook]Dogghouse Dobermans is a small family based kennel,therefore we have limited litters.We have been involved in breeding dogs for over 10 years now. We strive to breed the best Doberman Pinschers possible. Our dogs are of top quality for temperment, health, and conformation. Coming from champion bloodlines. Our dogs excell in obedience training, and complete all levels of training. Our dogs are raised and live in our home. All of our puppies are well socialized before leaving our home. Puppies are CKC registered, microchipped, health guaranteed, and leave our home with their own puppy package. Puppy packages consist of a large dog crate,stainless steal food and water bowl, a leash and collar, a bag of premium food, discount on obedience training course, diccount on boarding and doggy day care at a selected kennel. We offer lifetime support to all of our dogs. [/QUOTE]

-They mention health but there is no proof or mention of health testing, that I could find on their webpage nor their Facebook.
-They mention conformation but there is no proof of any kind of titles or even just showing.
-They mention obedience but, again, no titles.

I would stay far, far away from this breeder.

·
Got mutt?
13,766 Posts
Considering the only info I could find on them was a couple of ads on kijiji, I wouldn't even bother making further enquiries. The adult male they are selling (for over $1000) has the ugliest head I've ever seen on a Dobe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for quick feedback

I found all this info online as well. Just thought I would use this awesome forum to see if anyone has heard good/bad things.
Thanks again!!

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Turn around and run, not walk, run as far as you can. There are so many better places to get a doberman in southern Ontario! Deathmetal listed some of them above.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't need to know anything more about them other than they advertise on kijiji for me to tell you to run and FAST!!

Death metal has some great options there!

Good luck, let us know :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
dogghouse bashing

i have to reply to this, its cruel and unfair. i bet not one of you have met him or his dogs, how can you bash something or some one you dont even know.

I purchased one of his pups. this is our fourth doberman and even though our pup is only 10 weeks we are more than pleased. our last doberman came from one of the "reputable breeders" mentioned, and he had heart problems and hip diplasia passing last year at the age of nine. so no matter where you buy your doberman health issues exsist. for jen n mike dont rule him or his dogs out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dogghouse dobermans

thank you jonh, im glad someone stepped up. i unfortunately didnt purchase a pup from dogghouse due to the timimng in my life, but i definately will his next litter. i went to his place saw his dogs and his facility. i was more than impressed. he actually has a bedroom for his dogs in their house, its nice. most of the breeders mentioned above have kennels their dogs live in. i saw that show with his female, she was 6 to 9 months right? ya and joanne griffith showed her. the griffiths are known handlers in conformation how did he get them? i also know he was highly recomended to me by allan marshall (godresthissoul) from solar kennels THE reputable breeder around here. when i went to dogghouse his dogs were trained, and manored. i felt like i was at cesar millans place.they barked when we entered but calmly he said quiet, and thats wat it was. most breeders you go to the dogs are out of control barking and what not. not there.. he definately has a way with dogs. so i too think it is unfair to judge someone the way you guys are, and for those interested in a puppy contact him see what he is about. PS. all you "reputable Breeders" started somewhere at somepoint. i appologize that i ahd to sign up on here for this reason. sam

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Two new posters posting to defend a breeder as their first post at the exact same time.....

I call shenanigans.

Edit: I don't understand paying $2000 for a puppy from untested (checked both dobequest and OFA with no results) an (seemingly) untitled parents.
I don't see how you can expect healthy puppies from untested parents.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
thank you jonh, im glad someone stepped up. i unfortunately didnt purchase a pup from dogghouse due to the timimng in my life, but i definately will his next litter. i went to his place saw his dogs and his facility. i was more than impressed. he actually has a bedroom for his dogs in their house, its nice. most of the breeders mentioned above have kennels their dogs live in. i saw that show with his female, she was 6 to 9 months right? ya and joanne griffith showed her. the griffiths are known handlers in conformation how did he get them? i also know he was highly recomended to me by allan marshall (godresthissoul) from solar kennels THE reputable breeder around here. when i went to dogghouse his dogs were trained, and manored. i felt like i was at cesar millans place.they barked when we entered but calmly he said quiet, and thats wat it was. most breeders you go to the dogs are out of control barking and what not. not there.. he definately has a way with dogs. so i too think it is unfair to judge someone the way you guys are, and for those interested in a puppy contact him see what he is about. PS. all you "reputable Breeders" started somewhere at somepoint. i appologize that i ahd to sign up on here for this reason. sam
How did he get the Griffiths to show? well, ah.... he paid them. And there are handlers that will drag anything around for a buck - i think they call them "gas dogs" because they pay for your GAS. Not saying that is the case here. so just because a pro handler well known takes a dog in doesn't mean it's worth being championed or bred.

As far as Al Marshall, that man had no USE for anyone. He badmouthed european bred dogs. He actually told someone that euro dogs are viscious and when questioned on his own health testing (or lack thereof) they were told oh no, our dogs are champions we don't need to health test.

I'd like to know if anyone ever confirmed the Marshalls putting all the dogs to sleep upon his death. Anyone know if that's true?

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
The parents of the litter are:

Bitch: Cesar Dobermans Cleopatra
Dog: Greenstead Dogghouses Dre

My personal take on any breeder, is if they don't health test, then don't buy.
However, I do hope that as someone new to the game that they've merely forgot to post the health test results, and am willing to give the benefit of the doubt. I'd say with hold judgement until we know, or perhaps contact them and ask.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
i have to reply to this, its cruel and unfair. i bet not one of you have met him or his dogs, how can you bash something or some one you dont even know.

I purchased one of his pups. this is our fourth doberman and even though our pup is only 10 weeks we are more than pleased. our last doberman came from one of the "reputable breeders" mentioned, and he had heart problems and hip diplasia passing last year at the age of nine. so no matter where you buy your doberman health issues exsist. for jen n mike dont rule him or his dogs out.
No one is bashing, but people here will not recommend a breeder if they don't title and health test their dogs. Loving their animals and taking care of them does not make a good breeder. I would expect the average pet owner to do that!!! And yes, health issues can come in all lines. But if you buy from a good breeder who tests their dogs, the odds are much better of getting a healthy puppy.

We go by what they themselves put on the internet go sell their dogs. They claim to breed for temperament, health, and conformation, and that they breed dogs good for obedience too. So where is the proof of this? Titles (conformation, working, and obedience) and health testing is all something that proves what you breed for, yet they are breeding untitled dogs with no mention of any health testing.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
How did he get the Griffiths to show? well, ah.... he paid them. And there are handlers that will drag anything around for a buck - i think they call them "gas dogs" because they pay for your GAS. Not saying that is the case here. so just because a pro handler well known takes a dog in doesn't mean it's worth being championed or bred.

As far as Al Marshall, that man had no USE for anyone. He badmouthed european bred dogs. He actually told someone that euro dogs are viscious and when questioned on his own health testing (or lack thereof) they were told oh no, our dogs are champions we don't need to health test.

I'd like to know if anyone ever confirmed the Marshalls putting all the dogs to sleep upon his death. Anyone know if that's true?
You are right Maura! Al Marshall had NO use for health testing and many of his dogs were "Gas dogs" according to many handlers.
As well as I have also heard from a good source that it is true he had all the dogs PTS after his dealth... Which I find discusting!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts