Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie does this stalking thing to Cubby. As soon as Cubby turns around Gracie charges him. When we catch her doing the whole body language we tell her to leave him alone and sit. She then will charge him. If we say nothing she will still charge him. Today she had him in a corner sniffing him. She also pokes his belly with her nose. This cat is afraid of pretty much anything and so far Gracie isn't really helping him get over his fears of 'big dumb dog'. It is really driving us nuts as well as Cubby. Cubby is to the point now, that he will stay a good 5 feet away from her so he has a head start to run under something. I know Gracie doesn't want to hurt him, she just wants to play, lick and sniff. Is there any way I can stop this?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You know I read an interesting article on something similar to this... I'll try to find it but the gist of it was this guy had a dog that went nuts over a pet caged rat. Every time the rat was loose the dog wanted to "play" with him. So he set up a fake cage with a fake rat, every time the dog focused on it, he was redirected to an appropriate toy and then received a c/t when he mouted or otherwise played with the toy. Eventually the guy took the fake rat out and would play with and coddle it the same he did with the real one (I think he said that he put it on a string and pulled it across the floor) again, he would redirect the dog to a toy and c/t when the dog ignored the fake rat and focused on the toy. Once the dog gave up focusing on the fake rat all together, he moved to doing the same thing with the real rat. Over a relatively short period of time he was able to allow the pet rat out and the dog never bothered him. I would imagine you can do the same thing with Cubby and Gracie. The second she focuses on Cubby, redirect her to something else, something she really likes like a tennis ball or something and c/t her for playing with her ball instead of the cat...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that a little today, but everytime I said something to her she would charge him then focus on me. At that point I wasn't sure if I should c/t or not so I wouldn't because she didn't do it when I told her to.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If she does that, charge him and then come to you... do not c/t. After she comes to you, ask her to do something like sit or down and c/t that instead. You're still reinforcing her attention on you but she will associate the c/t with the sit or down and not charging the cat...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is this a new game? If this has been going on for 2 years I would think it is just how they play and not worry about it. Every once in a while GKar will get bored and play a little rough with Mary but an hour later she is back rubbing on his face and purring.

I am sorry, you were asking for ideas on how to stop it. Is there a command you already use to stop Gracie from getting rough or to leave you alone like "be nice" or "go away" or "leave me alone".. It did not take GKar that long to figure out that "leave her alone" means the same thing as "leave me alone".

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh my good luck.. we have the same trouble with Spirit and our cat CC for a while he was charging her or chasing her around the room.. we tried "leave it" bad dog.. you name it.. the came the squirt gun.. well it helped.. but now the cat thinks she is a dog.. and the dogs pretty much leave her alone.. Heck I think some times CC is sleeping with them.. Now TT is another problem.. she has never gotten over the dogs coming to the family.. she see them she hisses and runs.. then the chase is on.. again with the squirt gun. and a lot of leave it bad dog.. be nice... well, good luck..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cubby is the type a cat that would send 'death rays' if he could. He would send them to hubby, Rachel, Gracie, me, (when I wake him, or pet him, look at him, touch him, you get the picture.) and anyone else that enters the house. He hates most people and hates other animals. He and Rachel are just starting to get along some what. But Gracie and him I have pretty much lossed hope. If Cubby runs from Gracie then the chase is on, Cubby will almost always win that one. I think Cubby knows that Gracie is dumb enough to chase him and run into everything on her way, she slams into the table, then into the footboard trying to chase him.

Thank you for the advice. I will be working with her more on it. I am starting to wonder if it is a attention thing. If Cubby is sitting by me watching me then she will do it. If Cubby is in the same room as hubby and Gracie then she does it. But she also does it when Cubby isn't even in the same room as us.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexus abides by the understanding "all those who run thereby agree to being chased" :)

I'd go with Tracy's idea on this one. Redirect and make it more rewarding for her to stay with you than chase the cat. So they'd better be some darn good treats!

Our cats are pretty much fair game, with the exception of Bandit who is so timid and shy she avoids the dogs pretty much all the time. But the other two will get chased one day, and do the chasing the next day!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Nikita has to live with 3 cats. She had such a high prey drive at first, it was a disaster....We had to intervine before the chasing start. Once the chase was on, it was too late. We used a combinations of time outs and re-directing her attention. Also the "Leave it" command help. Almost a year later, every thing is almost back to normal, the pre-Nikita days. Nikita does not want to hurt them, but pretty much insults the cats dignity. We also showed Nikita that the cats were above her in the heirarchy by feeding them first and other things...That has helped.....Two of the cats have no problem smacking Nikita when she gets too close. The 3rd tries to, but it does not affect Nikita at all. All we she her do to the cats is push them around with her head and lay her head on them.... Good Luck and be persistant....

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rachel wont hesitate to beat the crap out of her, Cubby on the other hand tries hard but has no claws to let her know he is serious. He is only willing to hit her when he is above her so he can run. He hasn't realized yet that when he hits her she turns around and walks away. With Rachel Gracie will keep poking her until Rachel has had enough and slaps the crap out of her then bites her until Gracie screams 'Uncle' or what ever. Gracie has only cried once but that was something I had to jump in to get Rachel off of Gracie. Since then for the most part Gracie knows not to screw with Rachel.

I do feed the cats first, I have tried the leave it command, some times it works others it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would work if we can redirect her attention. So far today I have been working with her on this but so far no attention breaking at all.... She has very bad selective hearing. Maybe next time when she does that I can grab her tennis ball and throw it, and make sure it hits something. Maybe that will redirect her enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts