Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've went through almost every toy in the store. He chews up bones and toys in a heartbeat. He hates kong toys for some reason and will never play with them. What toys do you guys like. Do any of you guys use a flirt pole to play with your dog.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What are you stuffing in the kong? Deacon never played with it until i stuffed it with good stuff. I dont know how i survived with out it. Also soup bones form the meat department at the grocery store are great too.

What is a flirt pole!?!?!?

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
You have to give the Kong some value....start throwing it and have your dog retreive it, or stuff it with something. Without any "value" to it, its kinda a boring toy. They take to long to tear apart...dont squeak... Mine used to ignore it too. They always want what they think they cant have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flirt Pole

A flirt pole reminds me of the cat toys that has a pole with a string and like a mouse on the end. Here is a site with a flirt pole. There is a couple way you can do it. Such as with a pvc pipe with a rope running through it with a knot at the end ( so the rope don't get pulled through ) and on the other end you can put a dog toy of some sort. I heard these are good for like tug-o-war and stuff like that.

http://www.americanbulldogs.co.uk/cooperfliet.jpg

Not a Doberman site, But I'm sure the concept will work.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That's fine if you want to spend all your time "dog fishing". Personally, I would want some toys he enjoyed playing with by himself, giving me a break!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
We used those when Rommel was a puppy, I made one with PVC, rope, and a rag...just like you said. But even at 4 months old Rommel could pull the rope off of the pole, I doubt it would last very long with a 1 year old doberman. I would suggest maybe a tug made of jute, or the firehose toys. There arent many toys that a determined doberman cant destroy....good luck :D

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Sooz said:
That's fine if you want to spend all your time "dog fishing". Personally, I would want some toys he enjoyed playing with by himself, giving me a break!
What a great concept that would be,i will try it at the next doberman show i go to, see how many i catch, maybe up the pack numbers some more hahaha :)
:emo11: :help_up_2 :largegr:

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Codye&Rex23 said:
BackinBlack: Did it work well for you?
Like I said, it worked well for a short time, but at about 4 months old he could rip the rope out of the stick in a very short time of playing tug. The teaser stick helps to build prey drive, but I dont think it would last more than about 2 minutes with a 1 year old doberman. Try getting a tug and attaching a leash to the handle that way you can play tug with him and not run the risk of missing fingers when he decides to re-grip on it. www.fordogtrainers.com has good prices and so does www.hallmarkk9.com
the ball on a rope is also a good toy. Good Luck, let us know how it turns out :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts