Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know if there is another thread about this somewhere, but all your dogs' coats look soooooo good! I was wondering what the best dog shampoo is. I am aware shiny coats mostly have to do with the health of the dog, but also I'm sure the shampoo helps.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I gotta say.... Gracie's had two baths in her life. Diva's had one in the six months we've had her here.

So I can't credit shampoo, I don't think.

We use a really mild tea tree and aloe shampoo. I think the brand is Espree.

I want to know why dog shampoo is SO much more expensive that people shampoo, too.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I gotta say.... Gracie's had two baths in her life. Diva's had one in the six months we've had her here.

So I can't credit shampoo, I don't think.

We use a really mild tea tree and aloe shampoo. I think the brand is Espree.

I want to know why dog shampoo is SO much more expensive that people shampoo, too.
My people shampoo is way more expensive than Niz's shampoo, even when we used Isle of Dogs stuff. But my hair is also way more damaged than Niz's. I don't think he's ever dyed his hair or flat-ironed it! At least I hope the Princess avoids that phase....

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If you think dog stuff is expensive, try shopping for horse stuff!
I think they see us coming!!

Back to the shampoo, I agree with Grace's mom, Teatree shampoo is THE best. I use it for the dogs and my Show Horses.
I rarely bath them though. The dogs have a great coat from good food plus they share a tin of salmon every night before bed.

Another product for dry coats is 'Healthy Hair'. After brushing, just spray some on, or apply with a cloth. Again, a horse product, but helps with dry skin, keeps your dog fresh, and smells fantastic. Its a leave-in conditioner. I use it instead of a bath. If my GSD is smelling a little doggie I give her a nice overall spray. Its great for her coat and leaves her feeling fresh and clean.
An old Horseman introduced me to that product years ago and it is my secret weapon in having the best looking horses.:)

·
Registered
866 Posts
When I first got Malia she had horrid dandruf, and scales and all around dry skin. Got her food worked out with a bit of fish oil and that helped. I went to the vet and paid silly amounts of money for "coal tar" based shampoos and RX conditioners and other assorted wastes of $$$.
My sister (showed German Shorthair's at the time) said many of the show folks used Murphy's Oil Soap, so I tried it. I may get the wrath of the pro's now, but.... It works wonderfully. It is a very mild cleaner. Mostly, my Doberkids get a wet washcloth bath. If they have managed to get dirty enough to need an actual bath, it is Murphy's diluted in tap water about 10:1 water to soap.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
My dogs are almost never bathed. Shanoa has had maybe three baths in her whole life. Simon has not had a bath in the year I've had him. I sometimes have to wipe them down with a bath wipe if they are dirty, which is rare (I like the Earthbath wipes).

I think a healthy coat starts with a quality food.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I use whatever shampoo I happen to have. Double K Emerald Black, Chris Christensen Black on Black, Furminator, Earth Bath, use Dr Bronners Peppermint soap if I think he might have fleas.

Bronson is always shiny, really think its the sardines :D

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Search Isle Of Dog on here. We sell it at the pet boutique I just started at and it's highly raved about in the show dog world. I'm going to buy the copper formula today since I have a red dobe.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Ammo sleeps in bed with me & I'm a bit of a clean-freak so I bathe every 2-3 weeks, use Chlorhexadine shampoo (I wont go into the bulldog cleanliness and all that goes along with those wrinkles! but boy does he shed!!!!)

Reactions: cuddlbug00

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Search Isle Of Dog on here. We sell it at the pet boutique I just started at and it's highly raved about in the show dog world. I'm going to buy the copper formula today since I have a red dobe.
I'd love your review after you've tried it!

The Isle of Dog grooming sprays intrigue me. Do you know much about those, Zelda?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I will definitely write a review! I have never heard of isle of dog before working at this boutique so I'm going to be trying a few of their products. The manager has 2 pugs and uses the jasmine + vanilla silky coating shampoo and won't use anything else! It smells amazing.

I'm thinking of either going with the jasmine and vanilla conditioner or the nutrient masque conditioner after the copper coat shampoo. Haven't decided yet..

I'm pretty sure I want to buy the red berries and champagne freshener/deodorizer spray

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've used a bunch of different brands, and to be honest, have not found a clear winner yet. They all work pretty well the same. Right now I have: Bark 2 Basics, Isle of Dogs, and some Buddy Wash at home. In the past I've also used Earthbath, Bio Groom, and a couple other brands that I picked up at dog shows.

I do find that the Isle of Dogs makes Dance's coat super soft compared to other shampoos and it smells really nice. I haven't used it on the Dobes though because it's expensive and the bottle is really tiny. The Bark 2 Basics seems to work best on them, and Keira does well the the Buddy Wash. But to be honest, most of the time I use diluted dawn dish soap. My dogs get super dirty quickly (rolling in the dirt together, swimming in creeks and rivers, wrestling everyday, Ripley sucks his crate blankets and sleeps on them all day which makes him stink, etc.) and the Dawn gets them nice and clean. I follow with conditioner (Coat Handler or Bark 2 Basics) and they look and feel fantastic afterwards. One day I want to try Espree and Nature's Specialties as I've heard good things about them too. I kind of have a shampoo infatuation, haha. I get bored easily with the same one, and when I hear good things about a certain kind, I want to try it right away. Good thing my dogs are bathed often (every 6 weeks or so) so I get to try them all out.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think it's from the inside out but when I bathe my dogs, I use Redkin--the same as I use on my own hair. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
pet shampoo prices are rediculous, but since you don't bathe them daily, the cost is really irrelevant. One bottle would last several years.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
I, um, don't know. I think Delta's last two real baths have both been at the "Bubbles for Bullies" dog wash and I have no idea what they used.

At the house I have oatmeal shampoo for her... I don't recall what the brand name was.

Most of the time I just wipe her down with a damp towel when she comes inside (or a dry one if its been raining), maybe brush her occasionally. I did bathe her fairly frequently while we were trying to determine where her skin problems were coming from, and honestly, I think it was making things worse.

There's just so little TO a Dobe coat, I think focusing on diet and health will really make more of a difference than bathing.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Tali gets a few maintenance baths per year because the girl can't NOT roll in stuff and Fiona just gets a yearly bath.

I use Nova Pearls for Sensitive Skin but I think their shiny coats are more to do with genetics and diet than the shampoo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts