Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all. I am Kim and I live in Oregon. My husband and I rescued a dog from the pound a few days ago. They said they thought he was a rottweiler and german shepherd mix. I have owned both however, and he doesn't quite act like them or look like them. I started looking at different dog breeds, and discovered how much he looks and acts like a doberman. His ears were never cut and taped, and I think he is still a puppy. Nose / face maybe not as long either?

The pound guessed he is a year to a year and a half old and he is 60 lbs and 21inches at the hilt (or whatever its called..). I don't know if maybe he is still a pup? Doberman mixed with something? If anyone has ideas I would love it.

I will add his pictures. He is so sweet, super close to me (can't leave him for a minute), not in love with strangers yet protective, has supersonic hearing (seems always to hear everything outside/on high alert), loves to play with chew toy (if I hold it while he plays with it). He is so lovey, no matter what breed or breeds he is, we love him. Knowing a breed sometimes helps though, as you identify certain things that are traits rather than some "disorder" =). Thanks!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kim :) He is a cutie! I would say he looks like he could be a dobe and shepherd mix or there could be rott int here too. Either way he's lovely and he sounds like he'll be a great friend.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
He definately has shepherd in him. GSD are so good with showing expressions on there face. I can see my purebreed GSD bitches look in that last picture and others. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You all are great. Thank you. I see the shepherd in him too, more now that I look at the pictures I took. It is hard to tell if he is full grown or not. He is just under 60 lbs and he was in the pound for 3 months. I wonder what he weighed coming in? Well anyway, they put him at a year to 18mo. old, but he really acts, and looks like a puppy still so I am thinking more along the lines of 10 months. We shall see if he grows, then we'll know for sure...ha ha.

The adventure and fun has just begun. :nicejob: He is totally housebroken, which is so great. They think he was badly abused as he cringes around anyone new and takes hours (days sometimes) just to get within a foot of them. We are working with him on that daily.

I thank you all for you support. I have never owned a doberman (part or whole) before, so it is fun getting to know that side of our new family members personality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He definately has shepherd in him. GSD are so good with showing expressions on there face. I can see my purebreed GSD bitches look in that last picture and others. :)
I see what you mean. Thanks, that helps. It see the shepherd part of him more in pictures then I do looking at him for some reason..lol. You have both dobermans and g.shepherds? That is so great. Have you ever had a mix of both? Guessing they would look like our guy. :) He is so small though, super skinny. Hard to know if he is just still a pup or if he has an eating issue. I am taking him to the vet this week and will hopefully get some answers there.

Thanks again.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
He's a handsome boy whatever he is!

Welcome to the forum. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts