Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened twice in about 10 days.

4 wild coyotes run quite near to our fence when Bella and Loki are out.
They make sure to show themselves and pause on the 30 yards away skyline.
Dogs get quite excited. I may or may not be able to get them in as they are in hyper -protective - aggressive mode.
Bella bristling, snarling etc attacks Loki.... more than once in a 1 minute time period:(!!!

This evening I got Bella in right after this episode and reprimanded her, yelling and put her in closed room for time out, she was still excited. 10 minutes later she was extremely conciliatory to me and ready to be nice to Loki.

This is an uncontrollable thing, and I'm not sure how to handle it reasonably, and need advice. If she hurts him I will be super pissed! View attachment 139356
Hello. You don’t say what kind of fence you have or how high it is. I presume it is see through. What about getting some rolls of reed or even more durable rolls of bamboo that can be attached to existing fence with twist ties. I have seen 8ft bamboo rolls. The dogs can still sort of see through it if they work at. They would still smell the coyotes and could see them off in the distance but the fencing would help. You say you have plants that will get taller. If you can afford get taller plants now. Also I have had success with Pet Corrector which dies a blast of compressed air and my digs don’t like it. You don’t aim in at them it’s the sound they don’t like. And I agree a basket muzzle is good. I have used the plastic ones that are for greyhounds you can find online. They are long in the snout and work well on dobes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, the neighbors GSD was pretending to be a coyote on the skyline. Both my dogs reacted babdly but came in on recall command.

Thanks again everyone for the welcome insights. Adding a non see through fence might help, but they would still be able to see the coyotes on the skyline from a few feet from the fence.

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I might try to do some counter conditioning: dogs see/hear/smell coyotes and they get super awesome treats. If you are really consistent with it, you can, over time, change their behavior. If you use a specific prompt word just as soon as they notice the presence of the coyotes and they get a very good reward, that word will become a really good prompt to turn back to you instead of reacting the way they are now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still going to be loud due to the velocity.

With that said -

If noise is no concern (and if barrel life measured in the tens of rounds is cool):

Not a joke round BTW. They almost attained 5000fps with it before they stopped testing. Heck, Even if you missed the target with the Eargesplitten Loudenboomer (not a joke name either), the sonic boom made as the round goes by is going to destroy the target.
Coyotes are an important part of our farm - they keep the rabbit, squirrel, gopher and mouse population down. If you start killing the coyotes you will then have an explosion of rabbits, mice, squirrels, gophers etc. Shooting coyotes is not the answer. Have you tried crating your overexcited dog(s) when they come in the house and are worked up?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I wish the coyotes and hawks were better at catching/ reducing the squirrel and bunny population around here!
No we do not crate our dogs.
I think Bella remembered too well my over reaction the second time when the 3rd time happened, and she came in quickly, (after 1/2 heartedly attacking poor Loki again)
Usually the coyotes are seen farther away and they bark or howl in tandem with no redirected aggression.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
can you put something like motion activated deterent for cayotes?
?? I don't think so... they are wiley! We don't want much that would break the peace up here. Has anyone tried that high frequency radio noise the rodents don't like? I bet I would notice/feel it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lock and load. In any kind of a rural setting coyotes seem to be overpopulating. They don't have many natural predators

·
Registered
71 Posts
?? I don't think so... they are wiley! We don't want much that would break the peace up here. Has anyone tried that high frequency radio noise the rodents don't like? I bet I would notice/feel it...
also had in mind water sprinklers but i think they would figure it out
might try to do some counter conditioning: dogs see/hear/smell coyotes and they get super awesome treats.
yea only when they see coyotes, i would really take this serious and not feed anything other than kibble lest cayotes are around, then bacon & boiled chicken come out and i hope it works but i wouldn't be surprised if doesn't. If food doesn't work then one can initiate favorite game as well. I do think it's unlikely to work quickly but i think it will get better and better over time for sure.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts