Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with dog drying up grass? My boy seems to be peeing lava that drys the grass and I am only allowed to water the grass 3 times a week at specific times (City law). We are in a drought and I'm about to go all cement if my grass keeps dying! LOL! I looked up some info and I can give tabs to my dogs, but I rather not feed them something I am not sure about. :thanx:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Last year I resorted to the Lawn Saver tabs. I hesitated because of some very negative reviews. However, this is my second year and my dogs stay healthy and they do work wonders. I quit in the winter as our lawn dies over winter anyway in Utah and is covered with snow mostly. I start again in March thru Sept.

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with dog drying up grass? My boy seems to be peeing lava that drys the grass and I am only allowed to water the grass 3 times a week at specific times (City law). We are in a drought and I'm about to go all cement if my grass keeps dying! LOL! I looked up some info and I can give tabs to my dogs, but I rather not feed them something I am not sure about. :thanx:
Actually is isn't "drying" the grass--it's scalding the grass in the same way that applying too much high nitrogen fertilizer and not watering it in well "burns" grass.

If it bothers you that much sneak a couple of quarts of water out in a pitcher when you take the puppy out to pee and pour it on the spot to dilute the urine. But usually that will give you spots that are greener if you are very diligent about it.

With a male he'll grow up and start lifting his leg and hopefully you have a few trees in the yard and that'll take care of the lawn scald--lucky he's not a bitch 'cause those yellow dead looking spots would go on forever.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Dr's Foster & Smith have a good product called Lawn Guard. When we had a smaller yard we used it, but with the bigger yard and the ability to take them "out back" where the grass is sparse, we dont use it anymore

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had luck training to pee in a certain area. If you have room to sacrifice an area dedicated to toileting, then you could put down bark in that area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Had the same issue. I have three dogs and they were killing my lawn. However, after doing much research I decided not to feed my dog some "lawn saving" chemicals. Instead I planted clover instead of grass. It looks just as nice, it does not require trimming as often as grass, it is year round green and dog pee does not affect it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have artificial grass so it's not affected, but I've still always preferred that the urine or stool be "deposited" somewhere other than the lawn, so I have trained all my dogs to potty in the gravel areas (which has taken very little effort). My current boy knows that all the trees are ok but the bushes are off limits. It shouldn't take too much to train your boy to go where you want him to, unless your entire yard is lawn and he will damage it anywhere he goes! Still, you could choose a preferred area. One thing I would never do is give any kind of "supplement" to alter my boy's urine.

You might even consider artificial grass - I love mine and there is zero maintenance. There is the initial investment, but in the long run I think it's cheaper than real grass, especially in AZ!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello, my grass is now completely gone because of my 2 Doberman's. It is a large dirt yard now. My floors become full of dirt when it's not raining and mud when it is raining. I have to do something! We are going to buy wood chips. However they are dyed red. The landscape supplier said they are safe for my dogs. I am concerned that they will cause a red dust my wood floors or that they might cause my tile floors to become red. Has anyone on this site used those?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
One of my dobe friends has a SUPER tiny yard with perfect grass with 2 dobes and 3 at one point. They try to water over where the dogs pee and put Chicken poop over it. I believe it can be bought at any local feed and supply store.

·
Premium Member
8,610 Posts
I have a 20 x 30' graveled dog run that is a yard saver! They still run in the yard, but only when I want them to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts