Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in a while but I was wondering about this.

Bonnie is almost 9 months and her training is going great. She's the smartest dog I've ever had and she's not even grown yet. Smarter than any of the labs or mutts or the poodle, definitely. However, she refuses to listen to any other member of the household. I did 100% of the training and she listens to me perfectly, but if my dad tells her to do anything she just looks at him and obstinately disobeys. I have NEVER had that problem from her, even when she was just starting her training she never outright ignored me.

She's really soft to corrections, any kind makes her shut down. I'd like her to listen more to my parents but I'd like to avoid using corrections to do so, if I can.

It isn't a big deal if she won't listen to them because they don't have much to do with her caretaking. They play with her some when we're all chilling in the living room but I feed, exercise, train, etc. It would be nice, though, if she would listen to them.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Is there any chance you, Bonnie, and your parents could work together so that you show your parents how to lure, reward, shape; whatever you've been doing in the way of positive reinforcement that they could also use?

When I got my first dog of my very own as a young adult, my mother worked very hard to stay away from her so that she would bond with me (and not my mom, who ALL dogs instinctively prefer over ALL other humans). Sunshine was really impudent with my mom as a result. She'd jump up onto the kitchen counter, and, if mom caught her she'd just stare at her, "So what? What's YOUR problem? What are you going to to about it?" If she heard me coming, she'd jump back down. I swear they know these things!

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I run into this a lot with Elka. I've done all of her training, and she knows when I ask her something I mean it, and so she listens to me. My fiance, she doesn't really listen to, or at least not enough that he isn't frustrated. Granted, if you have food, Elka is far less deaf and obstinate, regardless of who you are. She would dance for the mailman if he had a slice of pizza.

I think it would be a good idea for you to have short training sessions in which you include your parents, and have them give the commands, that you back up if necessary, and have them give the rewards (essentially what GrdnDelight said anyway).

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If they want her to listen they have to put in some time IMO. Kyrah listens to me the most. Hubby has been spending more time with her by accompanying us on some outings, playing with her more around the house and as she has gotten older he takes her jogging once or twice a week.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Some people are just bad at interacting with dogs. I guess you have to try and educate them the best you can about what they can do better.

·
Super Moderator
21,312 Posts
Keep in mind that dogs don't generalize well. So it may be that she truly doesn't understand that "sit" means she should sit even when someone else says it. I'd second the suggestion to practice training with your parents. I think if you start with the basics she'll catch on quickly that commands apply with them as well as with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts