Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forager
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 14-month-old female plays rough with her new housemate, a one-year-old male. They have been together for four days; both are altered and otherwise healthy.
The female frequently nips the ears and tail of the male during (play?), causing him to yelp and cry. She seems to be doing it more often. If this continues, we would like to correct this behavior.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Althogh I haven't seen this personaly and don't know if this is a fact or not but it could be a dominance issue. She probably wants him to know who's boss. Also, as long as you monitor the behavior and don't let it get out of hand and do correct her when she does this, it should not be a problem. Like the obove poster stated, the male will not tolerate this once he gets comfortable with the new surrowndings and gets bigger than her if he's not already.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Forager
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I hope everyone is correct. In the last few days, she has become more aggressive, snapping and nipping at him without provocation.

·
Banned
675 Posts
The "usual" is that a male and female will work things out eventually, but that's not always the case, it's an individual thing. If you feel that she's too rough, that she's bullying or hurting him, and he's not standing up to her, then IMO it's okay for you to step in and make it clear to her that behavior is not allowed.

My dog Mic was bullied by his sister who the breeder kept. Whenever they met she would start pushing him around, even going so far as nipping him. She even pushed him off a spillway into a pond once when he was a puppy.

He was well over two years old before he'd had enough to stand up to her. But when he did stand up to her, she didn't back down, as I had expected. She escalated her behavior, and we had dog fights starting. So we just had to keep them apart, since they didn't live together, this was doable. But if they had lived together I would have had to lay down rules for her behavior.

·
Forager
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Micdobe. Soames, the male, cowers and cries when she nips and bites. He literally looks up at us to us to get him out of the situation. It's only been 6 days, the first 2 of which were peaceful. Perhaps in time...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Abby does this with most dogs that come to visit. She uses her teeth a lot in play. It seems to get worse - nipping at the neck and ears - when the other dog is not interested in play or is scared. She just keeps pushing and pushing assuming that the rougher she is, the more likely the other dog is to start running so she can chase. Its a real pain in the ass. She's a huge bully and tends to pick on the more timid dogs. From my experience, while its rough, its still just an attempt to play, she just doesn't realize that the other dogs either don't want to play this way, or are scared of her!

As for living together, eventually you would expect the novelty of a new playmate to wear off.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Over the internet we can't tell if it's play or not, only someone who is there observing the dogs can tell that. But even if it is play, the male doesn't like it so I wouldn't let her do it.

My 15 month old Doberman just wants to "play" with my Italian Greyhound, but she doesn't want to play with him and he scares her, so I have started keeping him on a leash in the house so I can correct his behavior when he starts after her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts