Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 7 months old Tux is performing great around the house, however the minute we leave the yard she is so distracted that she will loose all motivation and interest in any treats what so ever. That makes training very difficult.
Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Our 7 months old Tux is performing great around the house, however the minute we leave the yard she is so distracted that she will loose all motivation and interest in any treats what so ever. That makes training very difficult.
Take her outside the yard so often that it becomes commonplace. Don't bother training initially, just go for walks, as she becomes less distracted on the walks, start adding in training -- go slow initially, just a simple *sit*. You always want to set her up to succeed. Try before meals when you know she is hungry. Enrolling in a group obedience class is often very helpful as it gives you the opportunity to train with other dogs and lots of distraction.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply!
Should I let her pull when we go for walk. I can't even immagine how to positively discourage that when she doesn't care for any reward.
If we drive her away from the house she will walk me - I would like to have it the other way around :)
We tried not to feed her before the walk but it made no difference to her.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A hungry dog is a willing dog. Measure out her food needs for the day and put it in a bowl that you can reach easily and she can't. Feed her out of that bowl as a reward for the behavior you want. She will realize the food bowl won't come down and the only food she gets is from your hand and when she does what you want. She should come around after a couple of days. People have a hard time with this thought process, but remember in the wild dogs only eat every three days or so. Of course use common sense that if your dog is starting to get too skinny or ill, you can't do this. You can also switch to a higher calorie food to help maintain the weight and dog food rolls are very high in calorie and dogs usually love those. Good luck

Reactions: lifeisfun

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will try again for longer period of time I guess one day wasn't enough to skip a meal :)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
At 7 months your puppy is very distractable. I'd be working on attention training in the house and in the yard and only setting foot outside the yard to do minimal things at this point. Whatever the exercise Tux does best is the one I'd use to reward for attention outside the yard.

The sit is usually the one that dogs learn first and often remains the "best" exercise. I'd start by arming myself with really good reward treats--something the dog NEVER gets except in training for new things. Freeze dried liver treats if you don't want to make your own work really well. Keep the time outside very short and in the beginning end it when the dog pays attention and does what you've asked.

Proofing is necessary for anything like this--anyone who has done formal obedience has learned that dogs don't generalize well and trainers need to add distance from home and distractions for every exercise from sits, downs and heeling to more complex things like formal retrieves and directed exercises.

Personally I don't care for using meals or rather withholding them for training in very young dogs so I don't use that method but I know folks who have found it to work well for certain types of training--it's seems to be used extensively for IPO type tracking.

Good luck--time and continued training is what really works best.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you,
we will give it a try and hopefully we will find something to get her going.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
I think you need to maybe get some lessons from a trainer if you are not working with one already. If the food is not enough to get your girls attention, I would try getting excited, using a toy, anything to get her attention back on me. The thing about training with food is that you have to wean off of it and you have to have more in your bag of tricks when other things are more exciting than the treat.
Adara here would be the best to advise on this. You might PM her.
Please do not starve your puppy for training sake. She is just a baby anyway, so you have a long way to go. If she pulls, act silly and excited to get her focus back and you can also try not moving forward yourself when she does this.
I never starve my dogs for training. The most they miss is breakfast on tracking day and they get that on the track :) remember, these are not wild dogs, used to going without food and getting it however they can, they are domesticated dogs that come from generations of domesticated dogs so they are just not wired the same :)

Reactions: lifeisfun

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, we did go see her after all and were impressed how the dogs were treated by the breeder.
Family decided to get her and I have to say I'm glad we did.
She is great with anyone she meets on the street and people visiting the house.
In dog park having blast with other dogs.
The nice thing is that she is crate trained as well. We like to eventually let her roam around the house when no one is home but she still once in the while likes to test the taste of furniture and has to be reminded that it is not a toy so it would be too early for that.
She is part of the family now for 2weeks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you need to maybe get some lessons from a trainer if you are not working with one already. If the food is not enough to get your girls attention, I would try getting excited, using a toy, anything to get her attention back on me. The thing about training with food is that you have to wean off of it and you have to have more in your bag of tricks when other things are more exciting than the treat.
Adara here would be the best to advise on this. You might PM her.
Please do not starve your puppy for training sake. She is just a baby anyway, so you have a long way to go. If she pulls, act silly and excited to get her focus back and you can also try not moving forward yourself when she does this.
I never starve my dogs for training. The most they miss is breakfast on tracking day and they get that on the track :) remember, these are not wild dogs, used to going without food and getting it however they can, they are domesticated dogs that come from generations of domesticated dogs so they are just not wired the same :)
We will give her another week or two to see if it's just the new environment she is in
And if this problem doesn't improve we will have to get trainer involved.
Around the house and backyard she will listen very well. Even when we go to the dog park just a block away, after 10 minutes of running around with other dogs she is more responsive and will pay more attention.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts