Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everyone, as some of you know we bought Elijah home on Monday, by Tuesday night thru today he has **** his cage and everywhere w/diarea. I thought it was the rabis shot, hook worm or nerves combined.

I was on shift for 24 and just got home to clean his cage. (Wife had a long night w/him)

I look at the freakin' dog food bag, It was the brand and adult as sprecified by the breeder. I however didn't pay attention to the ( +7 ) after adult.
Can you all say Idiot. Iowe my Dog, Wife, and the breeder a BIG BIG apology.

Thanks for all your concerns and advice. Don't throw me out ;0 ( my dog would just bring me back anyway)

·
Registered
142 Posts
He will probably have even more diahhrea after switching the food again:( Try mixing fortiflora with his food... it should harden his stool. You can buy it generally at any vet office. Made by purina, i know, but its a good supplement for his digestion. My pup used to diahhrea in his cage when I first got him too, I think it was anxiety. But he got used to it, like they all do!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I have seen this several times but why are ppl feeding pups adult food verses puppy food. ?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Well I can see a breeder doing that to save money but I always thought it was and I have always feed pup food due to the high protein needed during their rapid growth as a pup.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Lot's of people feel there is not that much difference in adult and large breed puppy food, that the LBP is a sales gimmick to charge more money. Plus, regular puppy food promotes fast growth, so adult would be a better choice between the two for a doberman which is considered large breed as far as food choice. I'm sure I have missed a reason or two, but all I can think of right now.:)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Ok OP, just read your last post.:) You dont want a LBP to grow fast because that can cause pano, which is a painful bone disease with no longlasting/permanent damage. There are also permanent crippling bone diseases that are attributed to incorrect nutrition. I think some breeders just tell new puppy buyers adult food so there is no confusion as to what puppy food is fed and LB pups do fine on adult food.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Lindah is right about the food. It's pretty common for a "not baby" puppy to be on adult food. Sr or not shouldn't matter.

Was this puppy a kennel dog by any chance? It's probably stress related. I wouldn't be happy that he's that nervous but he'll probably settle in. Remember, a tired puppy is one that sleeps when you crate them = good puppy.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lindah is right about the food. It's pretty common for a "not baby" puppy to be on adult food. Sr or not shouldn't matter.

Was this puppy a kennel dog by any chance? It's probably stress related. I wouldn't be happy that he's that nervous but he'll probably settle in. Remember, a tired puppy is one that sleeps when you crate them = good puppy.:)
I figure, btwn me changing his food, water, stress, and all combinations there of - We'll be fine in a day or two. (he sleeping at my feet now... awe ;)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Well I can see a breeder doing that to save money but I always thought it was and I have always feed pup food due to the high protein needed during their rapid growth as a pup.
Why would you assume it was "to save money"?

If the breeder is feeding premium kibble--and I certainly hope they are--then there isn't much difference in the price of a bag of adult or a bag of puppy food.

The reasons have to do with what LindaH posted--many think pano and other complications are less likely if the growth spurts are more controlled and minimized, in large breed pups.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Lot's of people feel there is not that much difference in adult and large breed puppy food, that the LBP is a sales gimmick to charge more money. Plus, regular puppy food promotes fast growth, so adult would be a better choice between the two for a doberman which is considered large breed as far as food choice. I'm sure I have missed a reason or two, but all I can think of right now.:)
Thanks I'll have to revisit and research food again. I don't feed LBP as I always thought it was a moneygrab but I have Nubis on puppy. I always gauge the results via his coat and poo consistency. I had him on Natures Valley Salmon and potatoes and it seems it was too loose for my liking.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
This might still be the hookworms, you might want to put him on a bland diet for a day or two. Boiled chicken and rice or something similar, his gut must be quite irritated right now. If you can find Vetri Science Fast Balance GI, I love this stuff for major blowouts. Fast Balance G.I. digestive support supplements,dogs, horses, cats
I can't remember but my first dobe Kaiser was jammed full of hookworms or whipworm and the vet was telling me, they literally hook onto the intestines and one worming will possibly not get rid of em and the dog can re-infect easy. It did get me into a habit of training them to goto one area in my yard for easy control and removal. That dog threw up a huge ball of worms that Stephen King would write stories about. LOL.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
No, it has nothing to do with saving money. Depending on the food manufacturer I may feed adult or puppy. It depends on the actual food ingredients - certain foods may be too much for a puppy but the adult food would be fine. I know a lot of people that feed adult food to their puppies for that reason.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just spoke w/Vet and he said the fat content is higher in puppy, but with quality adult food he doesn't see any diff
My vet is the last person I would ask to recommend a food :) We argue all the time about what his version of a good food is.....and it's not anything I would recommend !!!LOL

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Gatehouse is correct about asking a vet about foods. Most dont know what makes good food. My vet happens to be educated on foods, but I know of two others in this town who say grocery store food is just as good as quality kibble. I actually had an employee of one tell me they made fun of her for buying quality kibble. Pitiful!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again to all, I'll just keep him on adult pro plan chicken & rice ( minus the senior +7 of course). Put him on a bland ID gastrointestinal health can for two days.
He seems better.
Will start mixing in/off tomorrow morning.

We went for our first leash walking Yesterday after shift and bike this morning.
He was absolutly wonderful. I hope he learns everything this well :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts