Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 8 months old male done gets hyper when we are about to go to bed. My parents made a habit of taking him to bed with them. So he pretty much he sleeps with them. He recently got neutered and been having this problem since last few weeks. He starts to chew on bed sheets and pillows and also our hands if we try to stop. I have tried everything to stop him. But no success. Please help me cuz he is very good during day but he gets kinda hyper during night

·
Feed Me
1,008 Posts
Sometimes my boy gets the zoomies and has a hyper spell just before he builds his little nest and settles down to go to sleep. We think it's funny and just watch him til he settles. As he's older he doesn't have the issue of biting things, but you could offer your pup alternatives to your pillows such as his toys til he settles. I've noticed he's more prone to these spells on days where he hasn't had his field runs or gotten as much exercise as normal.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My oldest Vizsla didn't know how to put herself to bed. She was awful, she'd run and run and run and try to jump from couch to couch to couch grunting. One day I helped her into her crate and she passed out and I realized she just needed to go to be sooner.

Reactions: Qoach

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's because of the exercise too!! But are there any indoor exercises that I can wear him out? He wants to play 24/7. Does older dogs get calmer than my 7 months pup?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think it's because of the exercise too!! But are there any indoor exercises that I can wear him out? He wants to play 24/7. Does older dogs get calmer than my 7 months pup?

I'll be interested in anyone's answer to this question as my girl will be 15 months old tomorrow and she too, wants to play 24/7.

She doesn't get bed zoomies every night, but she usually does at least 3 or so times per week. To get her to calm down, I just look at her and after she has zoomed around the bed for a bit, I'll say"Are you done?"
Mind you I try to look stern and keep from laughing. It's really hard not to laugh. She's so darn cute.

She'll zoom a bit more then huff a couple of times and flop over for her belly rub. As long as I stay calm, she settles.

I say enjoy the antics while they are young and have the energy. They grow so quickly.

I will say that she is better now than when she was your pups age. She's still a crazy nut at times, but she settles much quicker. She is also better about going right on to sleep too.

Good luck.:)

Edit: I just went back and read the first post where you say your dog grabs pillows and bites hand etc. Jazzy did the same thing around that age. I didn't interact with her at all. I removed the pillows so she couldn't chew and I didn't get close enough for her to bite at my hands. Any reaction on my part just got her more excited. If she was particularly crazy, I would step into my bathroom and shut the door. She had no audience so she would stop. I come back out, she starts up again, I go back into the bathroom. She eventually got the message. It's no fun when they don't get a response from you.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Teach the puppy/dog HOW to settle. Some dogs don't know how to do this.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
My boy would do this as a puppy too!
About 1/2 hour before I put him up he'd get a burst of energy and become incredibly annoying. All of a sudden he wouldn't just be running around but he'd also be trying to chew things that he wasn't supposed to and getting into everything he could.

I've found that when I stay up far too late I start to act/feel "hyper" as well - almost as if the body assumes that your're not asleep for a reason and gives you a burst of energy to help out so I thought that this might be what was going on with my dog as well. So, I'd take him out to see if he needed to do his business and then I'd put him to bed (easier for me than it may be for you because my boy gets crated at night). Lo-and-behold, he fell right asleep. For Dreizehn (same as Adara's experience) he just seemed to be overly tired.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
definitely overtired and needing sleep. Ripley usually does this around 10:30, so we crate her for an hour or so. the husband-elect wakes her up about an hour later for a potty break right before he goes to bed. he says she almost never deviates from the routine of getting up, heading downstairs to potty, then going straight back to the crate...even on the occasion where he's let her stay out of the crate a little longer (like if he needs to wash his hands or grab a drink from the fridge).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying hard to give him indoor exercise with tug of war and training on treadmill. But any idea when they grow out of these hyper behavior? Haha it's funny but very annoying :D ImageUploadedByPG Free1386208435.423524.jpg

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
They don't grow out of it. By giving more and more exercise it may create a need for more and more exercise. You may need to TRAIN him to settle and be quiet.

He's also way TOO YOUNG for a treadmill. I've had a 10 month old Vizsla here since Sat am that didn't settle. He know settles. He was tethered to me at night when the others were relaxing and he couldn't stop wandering. If he relaxed, click treat, Etc.

Reactions: Qoach
1 - 11 of 11 Posts